2016 HAL 14 Day Alaska Cruise

MAHICK

It isn't confirmed they wil offer the 14 day cruise in 2016. I imagine actually that itinerary won't be available considering they have two less ships to offer on that size range.

2016 itineraries should be announced in March/April 2015.

this summer. It is offered on the Statendam in 2016. Just got the cruise planner.

Oops, I think you meant 2015 for the Statendam and as of yet the 2016 Alaska season has not been announced. It certainly will not be the Statendam as she is being send over to P&O in the fall of 2015.

KK could be right, maybe none of Hal ships will be doing that intinerary, which would be to bad, as its a nice one.

For the Statendam in 2015 they are doing the 14 day route continuously, whereas in the past on other ships there have been a sprinkling of the 14 days routes through the Alaska season, so I would think that indicates demand. We hope so as we are considering the route for 2016 as well.

According to the cruise calendar on the HAL website there is a 14 day Alaskan Explorer on the Maasdam at the end of May, 2016. The schedule does not go out past that.

Maasdam would work! One of the issues with the Amsterdam 14 day Alaska was the price of the balcony cabins. The Statendam in 2015 has better pricing and I would expect that the Maasdam would also have better pricing than the Amsterdam. That would free up the Amsterdam for 7 day charters if it's still in Alaska.

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this cool ( Homer, Kodiak, Sitka etc)14 night itinerary and would like to try it in 2016. I have been checking out another line over the past 2 years and have been out of the HAL loop. Been spoiled cruising out of a port closer to home but maybe I should consider Statendam in 2015. Plus getting sort of Caribbean saturated. :eek:

Denise

One of the issues with the Amsterdam 14 day Alaska was the price of the balcony cabins. The Statendam in 2015 has better pricing and I would expect that the Maasdam would also have better pricing than the Amsterdam. That would free up the Amsterdam for 7 day charters if it's still in Alaska.

Not sure what year or category you're comparing Amsterdam to Statendam 2015 pricing to to make that statement but our final price after all price drops was $7,667 for a Cat B suite in 2010 on the A'dam and unless pricing drops more (fingers crossed it will), we'll be paying $9,915 for the same category on the S'dam five years later in 2015. BTW, talking July cruises for both so it's truly comparing apples to apples.

Also, if memory serves, two years ago the A'dam offered the 14 night itinerary once/month and the rest were the 7 night itineraries.

Not sure what year or category you're comparing Amsterdam to Statendam 2015 pricing to to make that statement but our final price after all price drops was $7,667 for a Cat B suite in 2010 on the A'dam and unless pricing drops more (fingers crossed it will), we'll be paying $9,915 for the same category on the S'dam five years later in 2015. BTW, talking July cruises for both so it's truly comparing apples to apples.

Also, if memory serves, two years ago the A'dam offered the 14 night itinerary once/month and the rest were the 7 night itineraries.

We took this cruise in June 2010. I had booked an ocean view because the balcony was so expensive. I called HAL when they e-mailed me a price of $2,700 pp for a balcony and took the B balcony. Then a balcony went down to $2,500 pp and I called and asked for the lower price. Didn't get it but did get assigned an A and paid published rates because we got suite bonus points for Mariners.

It was such a great cruise that I was ready to take it every year but they changed the itinerary (took out glacier bay and the Vancouver inside passage) and raised the price.

I haven't seen great prices since. As I recall HAL didn't even do it one year and then they came back with once a month but kept prices high. I expect prices will be more competitive this year on the Statendam as it is making regular runs every two weeks and the Statendam is being taken out of the HAL fleet after it completes the Alaska season.

I've been thinking about August but the Statendam is not high on my list. I got sick on it in June 2009 along with a number of guests and entertainers. The cruise director was the worst I have had...she seemed to be in denial...although we were under code red. I will be watching the prices but I would not expect them to go to $2,500 again. I'd like to keep it under $2,900 for a balcony.

Actually HAL adds 99 at the end of their fares. I should have given fares of $2799 and $2599 pp for the June 2010 cruise on the Amsterdam. The psychology of pricing!!!!!

Just keep an eye on the fares even after final payment. I wish HAL would offer early season discounts. Explore 4 is available as an early season promo but I would rather see lower upfront pricing. I can pay for the drinks and dining that Explore 4 offers.