Kudos and thanks to HAL...or how I talked my way into my own upsell

engrstudent

My wife and I are sailing on the Westerdam leaving 12/20. We had booked a verandah and were just happy to be taking our first Christmas cruise. Last year we sailed the N.A. the week before Christmas and were able to get an SZ GTY for $999pp and ultimately ended up in a Neptune with a last minute upgrade offer.

Knowing that no one booking has any bearing on any other we hoped that maybe something similar would happen this year. Week after week I watched the prices and turned down upsells into an SZ GTY (we figured why pay more and not get the double cruise days?) hoping prices would come down like last year. No Dice.

On a spur of the moment decision, I decided to just go ahead and pay the difference to move up into a suite as a Christmas surprise to my wife. I called and the agent was very nice. I talked to her about my luck last year, how we really enjoyed HAL, and how while I was happy to pay for the upgrade I was sad they didn't drop the prices on this itinerary like I would have thought (there were still over 20 Neptune suites). I asked to make sure that the price I paid would ensure the double cruise days and preserve the onboard credit from when I booked earlier this year. She put me on hold twice to make a few phone calls to supervision. When she got back on the line she informed me the price difference was $370pp but after talking to supervision HAL upgraded us for $370 total. We also would get the suite bonus and maintain our OBC. I was floored! So much more then we would have expected! Thanks HAL for making this year a very Merry Christmas! This is why we will continue to cruise HAL and recommend the line to others.

So I guess all those adages ring true, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease," "ask and you shall receive," and any others you can think of!

You are indeed lucky!!!! We are on 2/1 Nieuw Amsterdam with friends/neighbors. Today us & another couple wanted to move down the hall 5-8 cabins on deck 6 from VD to VB, both just balconies -- our TA was told by HA that we would lose all our perks (drinks, grill, OBC)!!! She is trying again tomorrow AM....

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

You are indeed lucky!!!! We are on 2/1 Nieuw Amsterdam with friends/neighbors. Today us & another couple wanted to move down the hall 5-8 cabins on deck 6 from VD to VB, both just balconies -- our TA was told by HA that we would lose all our perks (drinks, grill, OBC)!!! She is trying again tomorrow AM....

Good luck to you!