CPAP Machine question

25thcruise

Can we get the distilled water for the machine on line, call RCI or wait till we are on board. Again, thank you for any info.

Al and Julie

Contact the Special Needs department at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse]. They will arrange an extension cord and distilled water.

Edited by clarea

i brought my own chord and used the desalinized water..its only a week, wont hurt

I always obtained the extension chord and the distilled water without any problem by just asking the cabin attendant.

During the last cruise, I used my CPAP without the water compartment unit; the percent air humidity at sea in the South is already high enough but it might depend on your condition.

When I was doing the online checkin stuff on Vision, there was a form to fill out to request those things. I requested them and they were provided. On Freedom I called in the request for water but didn't ask for the cord. Had to beg our room attendant for one and she scrounged one up from somewhere because they were officially out of them. (I think she got one from maintenance) The extension cord was necessary as we were in that crazy cabin 1700 on Freedom and there was NO plug near the bed. It had to run across the whole floor.

RCI asked me if either of us needed a cpap when I booked over the phone and said she would arrange distilled water and the correct hook ups. When the reservation showed up online. It had that designated for my husband. This is our first RCI cruise and I have to say, I've been very happy with how helpful they have been whenever I've called over the phone with questions. We are only a month away from sailing on the Oasis, can't wait!

I have used my CPAP on 4 cruises and my TA always makes a note of my 'special need'.

The 1st time I didn't think to tell them ahead of time and the cabin attendant had a hard time finding an extension cord for some reason and I didn't get it until the 2nd night. I don't remember if they ever brought the gallon of water or not. So now my TA now makes sure to annotate it plus it's a free service so there's no point in waiting and worrying or having to track it down at the last minute.

Just a heads-ups that the times I've had the extension cord it's ALWAYS the big, thick orange outdoor type. So you either end up leaving it out and having to walk over it (and hope you don't get tangled up in it) or have to bundle it up and find a place to keep it out of the way every morning. A bit of a hassle but I understand why the have you use the big ones-- just wanted you to be aware so you aren't surprised when you see it!

Interesting note, on one of the cruises they even put an OXYGEN IN USE sign on my cabin door. :rolleyes: My traveling companion thought it was hilarious as it made it look like there was an oxygen tent in there or something. LOL

Mikki

On our last cruise (this November on Celebrity) we got a confirmation email from special needs saying the cord/distilled water would be in our cabin, but it wasn't. No worries though -- the steward took care of it immediately and it was there, with the ext cord taped down so we didn't trip on it, the next time we went back to the room. I guess they are pretty used to this situation now! :-) Have fun and enjoy.

Contact the Special Needs department at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse]. They will arrange an extension cord and distilled water.

Al and Julie,

As usual, I consider Bob's answer 100% correct. While I no longer need the CPAP, I can speak from experience. 75% of the time when I requested as noted above referencing my reservation ID and sailing date, the water was there along with an extension cord to have the machine by the bed. One on trip it wasn't there on arrival, but one word to the cabin steward it was brought to me quickly.

Can we get the distilled water for the machine on line, call RCI or wait till we are on board. Again, thank you for any info.

Al and Julie

They have it, though I've been carrying it on myself the last few years.

That's because when I got the CPAP about 6 years ago I asked about

getting distilled water on the ship and they told me yes but there was

a $5 charge per gallon.

Since then I just grab a gallon for under a buck before I get on the ship.

(Security has never had an issue with it. I thought they might suspect I was smuggling a gallon of alcohol on but they next even check the seal.)

We have requested it online every cruise (both RCC and others) never has it been there on arrival, but the steward has always gotten it for us promptly. This has been our experience on the last 5 or so cruises. I would bring an extension cord just in case, I think they always have distilled water but it is the extension cords that can get scarce.

If it's not too personal, I'm wondering how you were able to overcome the need for the CPAP?

While not the only reason for needing CPAP, obesity is one contributing factor. I went from 275 to 195 and my problem went away. This is verified by a sleep study (I'd rather had a root canal than another sleep study) and my wife noticing I no longer stop breathing. So glad to have that monkey off my back (or face)

We have requested it online every cruise (both RCC and others) never has it been there on arrival, but the steward has always gotten it for us promptly. This has been our experience on the last 5 or so cruises. I would bring an extension cord just in case, I think they always have distilled water but it is the extension cords that can get scarce.

My experiences were 2006 to 2010. Your experience suggests they aren't as reliable as they use to me. Probably not the first subject that applies to.

While not the only reason for needing CPAP, obesity is one contributing factor. I went from 275 to 195 and my problem went away. This is verified by a sleep study (I'd rather had a root canal than another sleep study) and my wife noticing I no longer stop breathing. So glad to have that monkey off my back (or face)

Congratulations on that weight loss, that's incredible.:)

Congratulations on that weight loss, that's incredible.:)

Thanks Bob, just in case we ever see each other on board, here is a photo from Freedom on the left and Navigator on the right.

beforeandafter.jpg

Edited by BillOh

After experiencing an extension cord issue several years ago, I purchased a cheap 6 foot extension cord and keep it in my carry-on just in case I need one. It takes up very little space and saves the hassle of relying upon the cabin attendant to find one. The need for an extension cord seems to depend upon cabin construction/configuration and bed placement.

thank you for all the valuable info. we will be calling them tomorrow for some other things, and will request the distilled water. we always bring our own power strip with us.

They generally want people to use the ship supplied extension cords.

I have tried 15 masks and none have worked.I wound up with a Stage II Pressure Ulcer of my nose .Therefore I decided to try dieting.I was 222 and am now 194 .I am hoping that when I reach my diet goal my sleep apnea problem will be resolved .

While not the only reason for needing CPAP, obesity is one contributing factor. I went from 275 to 195 and my problem went away.

And not getting enough oxygen while you sleep can contribute to obesity. Between DH's first sleep study and getting the CPAP as immediately as possible (big Seattle sleep center attached to a hospital said his was the worst case they had seen in 5 years...they almost came in to "wake" him and hook him up to oxygen in that first study) and a followup, he lost nearly 20 lbs. Did nothing different except not come up out of sleep something like twice a minute.

thank you for all the valuable info. we will be calling them tomorrow for some other things, and will request the distilled water. we always bring our own power strip with us.

If your power strip has an extension cord, OK. If not, might as well request the cord. If you don't need it, give it back; but if you do need it and didn't request it, they might not have one for you.