Port of Tampa - Wake up Carnival

fridaythe13th

I have never been to a port as disorganized as Tampa! Carnival needs to step up and get their workers on the same page as the port authority workers. It's totally pathetic the way the ship AND the port handle the crowds. I will NEVER sail from Tampa again, no matter what cruise line it is!

That's odd, we've sailed out of Tampa half a dozen times and I've always found it to be one of the easiest, most organized ports. Much better than Miami where we waited an hour to get through customs because they only had 2 customs people working. :( I hope things haven't gone downhill recently.

I have never been to a port as disorganized as Tampa! Carnival needs to step up and get their workers on the same page as the port authority workers. It's totally pathetic the way the ship AND the port handle the crowds. I will NEVER sail from Tampa again, no matter what cruise line it is!

Interesting, bold, and absolute statement but how about citing some examples that has apparently forced you to "NEVER sail from Tampa again, no matter what cruise line it is."

We have found Miami to be the most organized. We insist on getting Faster to the Fun when using Tampa or Port Canaveral to avoid the chaos of these ports. Of course, much of it depends on how many ships are in port and what time you arrive. Our easiest quickest embarkation was in Tampa. There was horrible traffic coming from Orlando, so we were running really late. We arrived 10 minutes before final call. No surprise there were no lines and we had the entire port staff to help us onto the ship. They practically snatched us up the ramp to the ship...hahaha.

Edited by Davey Wavey

The only time I've had issues in Tampa was the 2nd week Pride sailed, 11/16/14. They were late getting back, probably due to fog, people were still disembarking at 11:30am so police wouldn't let you drop off luggage one second before 11:30am.

Staff were not prepared for so many Platinum,Diamonds and only had 3 clerks. Line was very long but they quickly started taking the next person over to the regular desk and checking us in.

Tampa hasn't had a VIP seating area for about a year. They used to ask Platinum/Diamond to sit up close, but no longer.

They were very strict about making people take a seat and not stand, crowding the area where boarding would start. Some people didn't take it so well. Sure enough, those people (only about 5) nearly pushed people down when Priority boarding started. These 5 men jumped in front of an elderly passenger in a wheelchair. Staff were exasperated at this point and let them get on, to get them out of the way before they injured someone.

When we returned, I did not do self assist and we had to wait and wait. Staff on board said "the garbage got put in front of the luggage and they couldn't get to it (the luggage) just yet." When we did get off, a porter was immediately available and walked across the street with my bags with me--very efficient.

Tampa is my home port but not the only one I've sailed out of...when I have sailed from Tampa it has gone very well and been efficient! I'm not sure how they handle things when there is fog because the port area is not big when you have thousands coming and going but unlike the PP, I have never had FTTF in Tampa and was just fine but wouldn't do Port Canaveral without it!

Would you be able to share more information about your experience? We recently read reports from two members here where guests were held hostage in the terminal being "punished" for leaving the ship when directed by Carnival employees. Security for the Port of Tampa disagreed with the time they disembarked and wouldn't let them claim their luggage.

Edited by Disconnections

Would you be able to share more information about your experience? We recently read reports from two members here where guests were held hostage in the terminal being "punished" for leaving the ship when directed by Carnival employees. Security for the Port of Tampa disagreed with the time they disembarked and wouldn't let them claim their luggage.

Oy Vey....this was from an elderly couple (Diamond Level) who claimed that they were "punished" (their word) because they 1. put their luggage out for collection the night before, 2. then debarked via self-assist (sans luggage), 3. after clearing customs were required to exit the terminal as per Customs and Border Protection regulations and, 4. when advised that they could not re-enter the terminal to retrieve their luggage after the self-assist debark was over that they were, 5. being punished.

My guess here is that through a combination of age and their loyalty level (Diamond) that they believed that they were "entitled" to just ignore the rules. Being elderly is one thing, perhaps they were not clear on the procedure...but wait...they're at the Diamond level and most certainly were familiar with the procedure.

Nevertheless no one was punished, unless of course this couple punished themselves due to a variety of self-imposed actions and not by CCL, the port or CBP.

LOL, Blame the UNION! Have you ever done business with the port authority and workers in ANY port in the U.S.? Its a lot messier/political, behind the scenes than you could ever imagine...

Edited by jp30338

We have done about 30 cruises and about 20 on Carnival. We did 1 cruise from Tampa and will never go back. They do not know how to handle the crowds, we waited forever to get our bags and port staff were rude. The terminal inside is small and run down. In addition the security people outside were on some kind of power trip.

Being from Orlando, we cruise a lot and Tampa is our 2nd closest port but we would much rather drive to Miami.

Oy Vey....this was from an elderly couple (Diamond Level) who claimed that they were "punished" (their word) because they 1. put their luggage out for collection the night before, 2. then debarked via self-assist (sans luggage), 3. after clearing customs were required to exit the terminal as per Customs and Border Protection regulations and, 4. when advised that they could not re-enter the terminal to retrieve their luggage after the self-assist debark was over that they were, 5. being punished.

My guess here is that through a combination of age and their loyalty level (Diamond) that they believed that they were "entitled" to just ignore the rules. Being elderly is one thing, perhaps they were not clear on the procedure...but wait...they're at the Diamond level and most certainly were familiar with the procedure.

Nevertheless no one was punished, unless of course this couple punished themselves due to a variety of self-imposed actions and not by CCL, the port or CBP.

A Carnival employee cleared their zone and said they were ready for disembarkation.

I love these posts.... so funny...sooooo angry grrrrrrr. :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes Tampa is not as smooth as some of the other ports. I live here and have sailed out many times and get frustrated at the long lines to security and then to the front desks. However, if you get there before the rush, it usually isn't so bad.

I much prefer Port Canaveral, as they have much more space to put people.

I personally, have NEVER had any kind of a problem at the Port of Tampa. Personnel are kind, understanding, and helpful in my opinion, and they've always gone out of their way to be accommodating. ;) No problems at all, if you just do as asked, and follow the directions, and rules. :cool:

"SKY"

See number 1 and 2. Besides it matters not as no one was punished. ;)

1. They put their luggage out the night before.

2. They went to their assigned disembarkation zone.

The member who had this experience is part of a Carnival Facebook group and shared more information that wasn't posted here when the thread was ultimately locked.

Edited by Disconnections

Exactly, but because they are old, everyone is scared to tell them it didn't happen the way they remember.

And then the sympathetic bandwagoners jump on it and make it a modern day tragedy.

Edited by poison7fl

Exactly, but because they are old, everyone is scared to tell them it didn't happen the way they remember.

They tried it, it failed and then tried to say they only did what someone told them to do. Did they speak up about the luggage? No. It was easier to blame someone else.

OP I was on the same sailing as you and I think POT was fine. Embarkation was smooth, and everyone was friendly. Debarkation was a mess but that was due to the Fog and the staff on the ship not being able to form lines and just have any control. It was a free for all getting off the ship from my experience. None of those things were the POT's fault.

We have been on many cruises and I can't remember just what the problem was with Tampa but, Tampa and Galveston are two ports we will not sail from. It has been a while but when we left them, we Xed them off our list of ports to travel to and from. It could have been a one time bad experience and these ports are just excellent for you, but for me if there is a choice they will not be picked. I do know people who love Galveston and Tampa. That is good for them. I however will not chance it. As that old Texas saying goes... Fool me once shame on you fool me twice and I wont get fooled again.