Port of Tampa - Wake up Carnival

fridaythe13th

As a previous post said , we also found the port of Tampa to be a little congested from dropping off luggage to finally getting on board the ship. A note to the punished couple. I had my luggage lost in Miami. After searching for an hour we went outside to catch our excursion. Well we missed the excursion, so we tried to go back in the terminsl and search some more. We were denied entrance for the same reson you were. So dont feel like you were punished.

We've had severe fog issues on both sailings from Tampa, but the staff at the terminal has always been very nice despite the delays both times. I think that access is very easy and the "mall" around the terminal provides some level of distraction when the hotel won't let you stay any later but the ship is still unloading from the previous cruise.

I can't imagine trying to kill time at most of the other ports I've sailed out of. That said, I don't think my wife would go for a third Winter cruise out of Tampa as the fog risk is just too great.

lol, thats all you have?? Links to some random websites that are not credible sources??

We the general public will never know the actual numbers. Again, I suggest you request this from the TSA, CIA, Customs and Immigration, FBI, DEA, etc. if you would like numbers.

lol, thats all you have?? Links to some random websites that are not credible sources??

We the general public will never know the actual numbers. Again, I suggest you request this from the TSA, CIA, Customs and Immigration, FBI, DEA, etc. if you would like numbers.

You're the one who brought up terrorists entering the terminal through an exit. I personally don't care enough about the actual numbers to reach out to those organizations. These were the first two results on Google and one of them quoted an executive saying they didn't catch any terrorists in 2012 at airport locations that use TSA's services.

Edited by Disconnections

Would you want a terrorist to try and get on a ship?

Be thankful that there are law enforcement there to deny people from getting onboard through an exit.

I would think that a terrorist who is already in the States would find a much better target than a cruise ship that is leaving the States

I would think that a terrorist who is already in the States would find a much better target than a cruise ship that is leaving the States

Sure, but the point of having security and NOT being allowed to go back into a CUSTOMS controlled area has NOTHING to do with the Cruise Line, once you are off their ship you are now under U.S. law jurisdiction AND, they are there to STOP any POTENTIAL threat from trying to do something. Not just terrorists but thiefs, stowaways, and whatever else.

Just obey the law and dont be an azzhat towards officers and you wont have any problems. I know thats hard to grasp, but its reality.

Edited by jp30338

It matters not what happens in Tampa today. Within 10 years there won't be a ship afloat that will fit under the bridge. The cruise operation is on borrowed time.

There will be ships here well after that... Many newer ships can still fit, including all current Carnival ships, and if Vinick has anything to say about it, he will get a new bridge now that he owns most of Channelside.

Some of the new and upcoming "Mega" ships, like the Oasis of the Seas won't fit, but with a clearance of 183ft, most current ships will still fit. It will be a challenge in maybe 20-30 years for cruise ships, but I see ships eventually getting smaller before getting bigger, many people do not like the mega cruise ships.

A 10 year lifespan is just plain ignorant to say. And please don't quote the "news", who don't tell the whole story... I live here and know these things, because of what I do.

Edited by poison7fl

There will be ships here well after that... Many newer ships can still fit, including all current Carnival ships, and if Vinick has anything to say about it, he will get a new bridge now that he owns most of Channelside.

Some of the new and upcoming "Mega" ships, like the Oasis of the Seas won't fit, but with a clearance of 183ft, most current ships will still fit. It will be a challenge in maybe 20-30 years for cruise ships, but I see ships eventually getting smaller before getting bigger, many people do not like the mega cruise ships.

A 10 year lifespan is just plain ignorant to say.

Uh huh. The Triumph class and larger will fit under the bridge? LOL

Edited by EZ4

A 10 year lifespan is just plain ignorant to say. And please don't quote the "news", who don't tell the whole story... I live here and know these things, because of what I do.

Only Carnival's Fantasy and Spirit class ships can sail under the bridge. Also, Royal Caribbean's Voyager class and newer cannot sail under the bridge. Royal has already sold their Soverign class vessels to Pullmanter, leaving fewer options out of Tampa for a mass market cruise line. Holland America only has one of its older ships there, correct?

Edited by Disconnections

We sailed last March from Tampa and everything was very quick and organized for the most part. That's my experience. With thousands sailing weekly you're bound to have hiccups...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We have been on many cruises and I can't remember just what the problem was with Tampa but, Tampa and Galveston are two ports we will not sail from. It has been a while but when we left them, we Xed them off our list of ports to travel to and from.

We've been in and out of Tampa a couple of times and it's always struck us as a very well organized terminal. One of the problems when getting off is that they are so efficient that you may find yourself waiting outside for your ride for an hour, just because they get you out so fast.

Galveston back 7 years ago was a train wreck but since then they have got it together and it's a pleasure to sail in and out of there. Of course if the fog sets in it will throw everything akilter but that's not Carnivals fault.

Now if you want to talk about a messed up port let's talk about Mobile. Ever wonder why they don't have anything sailing out of there any more? Don't know who designed the terminal but they should have had a firing squad for him.

We have sailed out of Tampa twice, the first time was great. Recently on the Pride sailing of 12/7/14 disembarkation was very messy. According to all the paperwork we were given and asked to adhere to we were supposed to be off the ship around 08:30.The Pride arrived in Port on time but somehow by 08:30 they were at least running a hour behind. That happens and is acceptable but there was no words or announcements coming from Carnival and more people kept showing up at there allotted times and it became quite a mess. When we finally got off the ship we found out that the escalator was broken. They were informing people to wait in elevator line and then moving you to stairs and then telling you you couldn't bring your luggage down the stairs so go back to the elevator. People were confused at best and it was taking way to much time. When we got to the customs area it was wide open and they were starving for people. Lack of Communication and not being flexible were the port and Carnivals fault they could have easily let most off from deck one instead and have avoided the escalator and go right into customs. Even if only for a half a hour this would have alleviated the problem. Butt know wanted to make a decision. The cruise was great and still like Tampa but they need to figure this out, it is a reoccurring theme as of late.

Now if you want to talk about a messed up port let's talk about Mobile. Ever wonder why they don't have anything sailing out of there any more? Don't know who designed the terminal but they should have had a firing squad for him.

You don't have to worry about Mobile anymore. They are out of the cruise business and not even pursuing it. I seriously doubt if any Carnival ships will be welcome there anymore, after the Triumph tribulations. I'm sure that BAE Systems has blacklisted Carnival, going forward.

Much better than Miami where we waited an hour to get through customs because they only had 2 customs people working. :( I hope things haven't gone downhill recently.

Try 2hrs getting through customs this past Saturday coming off Freedom!!...We had a wonderful cruise but standing on your feet with luggage snaking through a line for over 2hrs waiting for TWO custom officials ( again ) was not a nice way to end it...Ridiculous in fact.

Edited by Jules215

Have sailed out of Tampa twice, and both went well to me. Only had to wait the second time, like maybe 15 minutes, cause the ship was a little late arriving. Still was on by 12/12:30 both times. If that's as bad as it gets, then I should be VERY happy when I get to Port Canaveral on the 11th!!

Ya it s easy to blame the cruise line, when it fact the cruise lines are just a guest in the ports and have zero authority whatsoever. The port authority and customs are in charge, it is their house.

Correct - policy and procedure does not equal perceived punishment!

...A 10 year lifespan is just plain ignorant to say. And please don't quote the "news", who don't tell the whole story... I live here and know these things, because of what I do...

LIKE!!

Edited by Captain Carnival

We've sailed out of 4 ports in Fla multiple times. There have been good and not so good experiences. Ft Lauderdale has always been the worse however, it's never been so bad where I would say "I'm never cruising from that port again". How can an hour or 2 getting on/off the ship ruin your entire cruise? I guess I don't understand.

Try 2hrs getting through customs this past Saturday coming off Freedom!!...We had a wonderful cruise but standing on your feet with luggage snaking through a line for over 2hrs waiting for TWO custom officials ( again ) was not a nice way to end it...Ridiculous in fact.

That is ridiculous. It's not like they don't know a cruise ship is coming in with 2500 passengers. And then one of the customs officials kept yelling to everyone in line that we had to have our passport AND our driver's license out. Why would you need your driver's license if you have a passport? But we pulled them out anyway since she kept yelling about it, only to have the custom's officer tell us we didn't need them. Well, duh... :)

Edited by CruisinCrow

Ft Lauderdale has always been the worse however, it's never been so bad where I would say "I'm never cruising from that port again".

Same here, Fort Lauderdale is my least favorite port. It's been chaos every time we've sailed out of there. But it wouldn't keep me from going on a ship I wanted to go on.