Next cruse booked...woohoo..Radiance in Alaska

tdk

We have been busy ....moved to Hawaii with hubby's job but we are booked on the Radiance in May. We haven't been to Alaska in almost 20 years. This will be my 18 year sons first trip to Alaska. It will be our 23rd wedding anniversary and we are going with a family couple that it will be their delayed honeymoon. Any suggestions let me know :)

We cruised Alaska on the Radiance in July and had wonderful weather the entire week! Our best and most memorable excursion was the Taku Lodge Feast and 5-glacier seaplane flight!!!!:cool: OMG! It was pricey @ $319pp but so well worth the bucks!! Seeing the vastness of the glaciers from up there was breath-taking and the grilled salmon over an alder wood fire at the lodge was the best we ever ate!! Highly recommend this excursion!! ISP is a great place to go whale watching, which we did privately with glacier wind (same price as RCI but with only 6 passengers vs 40+!! Got some great pics!! I'd love to go back some day and do it all again!!:D

We have been busy ....moved to Hawaii with hubby's job but we are booked on the Radiance in May. We haven't been to Alaska in almost 20 years. This will be my 18 year sons first trip to Alaska. It will be our 23rd wedding anniversary and we are going with a family couple that it will be their delayed honeymoon. Any suggestions let me know :)

Helicopter ride in Juneau, landing and walking on the glacier, weather permitting. It was the highlight of our trip. We went in June many years ago, and the weather was spectacular.

You will love Alaska! It is beautiful, especially on Radiance with all the walls of windows to look out everywhere on the ship.

We did an Alaska cruise in June 2013 and the very long & detailed report is linked in my signature. If you'd like just my report without all the comments, check out my blog also linked and search for Alaska.

There are lots of ideas on ways to save money. Check out the Alaska Tour Saver book for 2 for 1 excursions - you have to book early.

Just know ahead of time that most "active" excursions (flight-seeing, glacier hikes, helicopters, dogsled rides, etc.) are super pricey and there is no bargaining at the port like there is in the Caribbean. The best excursions fill up months ahead of time and most require payment in full at booking or at least 1/2 deposit.

You are smart to book early & start planning your trip!

Don't care for the itinerary, but the ship is one of the best!:D

We cruised Alaska on the Radiance in July and had wonderful weather the entire week! Our best and most memorable excursion was the Taku Lodge Feast and 5-glacier seaplane flight!!!!:cool: OMG! It was pricey @ $319pp but so well worth the bucks!! Seeing the vastness of the glaciers from up there was breath-taking and the grilled salmon over an alder wood fire at the lodge was the best we ever ate!! Highly recommend this excursion!! ISP is a great place to go whale watching, which we did privately with glacier wind (same price as RCI but with only 6 passengers vs 40+!! Got some great pics!! I'd love to go back some day and do it all again!!:D

Sounds awesome...I will look into it :) thank you

You will love Alaska! It is beautiful, especially on Radiance with all the walls of windows to look out everywhere on the ship.

We did an Alaska cruise in June 2013 and the very long & detailed report is linked in my signature. If you'd like just my report without all the comments, check out my blog also linked and search for Alaska.

There are lots of ideas on ways to save money. Check out the Alaska Tour Saver book for 2 for 1 excursions - you have to book early.

Just know ahead of time that most "active" excursions (flight-seeing, glacier hikes, helicopters, dogsled rides, etc.) are super pricey and there is no bargaining at the port like there is in the Caribbean. The best excursions fill up months ahead of time and most require payment in full at booking or at least 1/2 deposit.

You are smart to book early & start planning your trip!

Thanks for the tips :)

Radiance is gorgeous. Have you sailed on her before?

No we haven't ... We are looking forward to it. One of our group is a holland guy so we are trying to move him over to royal ...lol

Awesome we are booked on this same cruise and ship :)

Have any of you that have sailed the radiance in the past eaten at Chops...we have never paid the extra to eat there but since this trip we will be celebrating our anniversary on the 16th and the other couple of doing their delayed honeymoon we thought we might try it. Is it worth the money....its 25-30 correct?

You made a good choice :D My son and I are also on this cruise, as well as the next. Come join the roll call and chat with fellow passengers

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41744076 Happy cruising :)

Our First Cruise Ever was an Alaskan cruise on Vision of the Seas in July 2006 (RT from Seattle).

We have now completed 4 Alaska Cruises.

In addition to the Vision above we have sailed the Radiance South Bound in July 2009, Northbound in August 2011 and again Northbound in June 2013.

I'm sure we will do another soon.

Dennis & Sue

We were in Alaska in August for the second time. Our favorite excursion was whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau. We had a couple of whales breech right beside the boat.

I will look into this....we were thinking of this type of tour and also a plane ride over the glaciers.

• 2 weeks later...

We love Radiance. It's small enough that you can bump in to new friends, but big enough to get a bit lost & explore!

I wrote a very detailed review of our South Pacific cruise on Radiance from this year. It's packed with tips, random stories and lots of pics. It should be in my past comments if you're interested in reading it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums