How to spend a winter's day in Rotterdam

Faival

You're obviously a fan of cruising; high on my list would be to go spend a few hours on the ss Rotterdam and visit the Hotel New York (former HAL headquarters building). The Hotel New York is a short walk just to the end of the pier and the ss Rotterdam is also very close by.

Rotterdam itself is a modern city with many highrises since the centre was bombed during WW2. It has a nice museum Boymans van Beuningen, you can go to the top of Euromast and have a great view over the city. Take a harbour boattour, there is a wonderful Zoo-Blijdorp to mention just a few things. More on this website:

https://en.rotterdam.info/visitors/places-to-go/

If you like to visit a small charming old town why not get a train to Delft. Easy to do and just a short ride away. http://www.delft.nl/delften/Tourists

Edited by Ine

1. ss Rotterdam V museum ship

2. Boat trip to 'Kinderdijk' (several working windmills can be found there)

3. Rotterdam Maritime Museum

4. Top of Euromast tower for a scenic view of the city

I vote for #1 and 2. If I had to choose, it would be #2!

It will be cool or cold, but Rotterdam is a wonderful city to walk in. There is a very good museum across the Erasmus Bridge. You should be able to find it in Ine's links.

Enjoy you time in this fabulous city!!

Edit: Boijmans van Beuningen in the Museumpark area.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Ok, I'm going back many, many years (1970), but I remember wandering around downtown and seeing a statue. Something like "devastated city" or "destroyed city." The image has stayed with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Statue by

Ossip Zadkine "The Destroyed City"

http://www.sculptureinternationalrotterdam.nl/collectie/permanent/DeVerwoestestad.php?lang=en

Just to make a connection between the destroyed city and HAL, it was the May 11, 1940 bombing of Rotterdam that resulted in the complete destruction of the lovely 3-funnel 29,500 GRT ss Statendam of 1929 while berthed in Rotterdam.

Edited by Dave in NJ

Just to make a connection between the destroyed city and HAL, it was the May 11, 1940 bombing of Rotterdam that resulted in the complete destruction of the lovely 3-funnel 29,500 GRT ss Statendam of 1929 while berthed in Rotterdam.

I had just turned 21, and remember that the statue made my heart ache. Even though I had seen so much amazing art that summer, the Destroyed City really told me its story. We were waiting to board the Nieuw Amsterdam - my first time on a ship and my transportation back to the US.

Trish