Timing my purchase - Sensation on 12Mar2015

JohnMI

I'm still a newbie -- only cruised once before (Carnival Imagination in 2010). I have a cousin getting married on the Sensation on March 12, 2015. We've been invited to attend -- and would like to do so since some other family is going -- but it wouldn't be horrible if it didn't happen to work out (i.e. I'm not super worried about waiting for a better deal even if there is a slightly risk of not being able to go at all).

So -- I'm trying to figure out the best time to buy for my wife and I. I want either a porthole or an OV room. Right now, the best pricing I am getting for the two of us is $299 pp for a porthole room plus $155 in fees for a total of $753.

Carnival is telling me that if I book now and the price drops before January 11th, then they will refund the difference -- and if the price drops after January 11th but before the cruise, they will give the difference as an on-board credit.

So -- any suggestions? Do I just go for it and, if the price drops, do the request? Or do I wait it out and hope for a lower price to come along?

Again, I'm in a nice situation where I don't have to worry too much about it not working out -- so I feel a bit like I can wait and see. But, if it won't make a difference, then I'd go ahead and book just to note have to worry about it, I guess. So, I'm open to ideas. Thanks!

- John...

I don't see a reason why you haven't booked yet. What do you have to loose?

Well, I guess my thought was that I'm not sure that it really is the "best price." I don't have any experience with their price-matching policy. I've seen other companies (hotels, for example) get out of any "if it gets cheaper, we'll refund you the difference" policies by saying that the offer was slightly different.

Does that happen with Carnival? Or are they pretty good about really matching everything after you book if you submit a request? I did a quick search and found some people saying that they filled out the form and it was denied -- then had to call and sometimes were able to still make them match it. So, based on that quick search, it appears that Carnival tries to get out of these price matches.

So, that is why I wasn't sure what to do here -- to just book it and feel confident that they will refund the difference if it goes down -- or if there might be other cheaper options closer to the cruise date that are slightly different so they wouldn't price match to if I booked it now and it dropped to that later.

- John...

Well, I guess my thought was that I'm not sure that it really is the "best price." ..there might be other cheaper options closer to the cruise date that are slightly different so they wouldn't price match to if I booked it now and it dropped to that later.

So by "best price" you mean "lowest price". If the lowest price is more important to you than attending the wedding than wait it out and see if you might get a last minute bargain basement deal. You said you didn't mind if you didn't go to the wedding. So if a better deal does not materialize or the ship sells out you won't be disappointed.

Keep in mind though that last minute deals are often guarantees and you'll likely end up in a crappy cabin location - like next to the anchor chain, under a galley, etc. Those cabins are unsold because more experienced people know not to book them.

Edited by BlueRiband

So by "best price" you mean "lowest price".

Correct. :rolleyes:

If the lowest price is more important to you than attending the wedding than wait it out and see if you might get a last minute bargain basement deal. You said you didn't mind if you didn't go to the wedding. So if a better deal does not materialize or the ship sells out you won't be disappointed.

Ok -- that is the sort of advice I was looking for. But, it does bring back my other question then: so -- there ARE drops in price or deals that might come along that Carnival wouldn't price-match to then?

Again, as I said, I'm new to this. So, the big push from Carnival that they will "price match" any lower price that comes along if I book now sounds attractive -- unless there are significant deals that they won't match to, of course.

Keep in mind though that last minute deals are often guarantees and you'll likely end up in a crappy cabin location - like next to the anchor chain, under a galley, etc. Those cabins are unsold because more experienced people know not to book them.

Ok -- I will keep that in mind as it makes good sense. That being said, my first cruise (in 2010) was a guaranteed OV room and we really liked it. But, maybe we just got really lucky or something.

- John...

We've gotten quite a few price drops or OBC by booking Early Saver. You can't lose unless you cancel or want to change something. You can also upgrade your cabin at no charge. If the only reason you're waiting is to get a better price, then go for it if you're booking Early Saver. It does work.

Correct. :rolleyes:

Ok -- that is the sort of advice I was looking for. But, it does bring back my other question then: so -- there ARE drops in price or deals that might come along that Carnival wouldn't price-match to then?

Again, as I said, I'm new to this. So, the big push from Carnival that they will "price match" any lower price that comes along if I book now sounds attractive -- unless there are significant deals that they won't match to, of course.

Ok -- I will keep that in mind as it makes good sense. That being said, my first cruise (in 2010) was a guaranteed OV room and we really liked it. But, maybe we just got really lucky or something.

- John...

John,

Because the cruise is pretty much 3 months away. You will (pretty much) have to pay the full fare when you book. (In case that is a consideration for you,)

I just did a mock booking and it looks like Early Saver availability ends tomorrow (the 19th). Early Saver is the fare that allows you price match until 2 days before sailing. The big "catch" with Early Saver is the non-refundable deposit and the $50 penalty fee for any changes to the booking. This is a wedding cruise, so I would imagine that cancellations/changes are unlikely.

In my experience, Carnival is pretty good with honoring the price match guaranty for Early Saver. They will only price match to other fares where you choose you stateroom location (as opposed to guaranty assignments). You will need to submit a request for the price match -- it is not automatic. If you go the Early Saver route, you will want to check the prices on Carnival's fare viewer pretty often.

I hope this helps.

-DD

Indeed -- there is an "Early Saver Last Call" deal that expires tomorrow.

- John...

I love the early saver fares, we have always saved money and gotten on board credit, but do make sure you are aware of the restrictions. I would go for it if it was my call.

Sounds good -- thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I'll take the Early Saver option that expires tomorrow and go for it (with a Porthole room) -- then see if I get lucky with a price drop. (And, even if I don't, it'll still be fine.)

One last question: can you submit price change requests more than once? For example, if I book it and it drops in a week and I submit it and get the credit -- and then it drops again a week before we sail -- can I submit another request? I assume so, but wanted to double-check.

Thank you, all!

- John

One last question: can you submit price change requests more than once? For example, if I book it and it drops in a week and I submit it and get the credit -- and then it drops again a week before we sail -- can I submit another request? I assume so, but wanted to double-check.

- John

Yes.

I did a quick search and found some people saying that they filled out the form and it was denied -- then had to call and sometimes were able to still make them match it. So, based on that quick search, it appears that Carnival tries to get out of these price matches....

Many of the denied requests that you read about are from people who didn't quite understand how Early Saver works and tried to price match to a rate that doesn't apply. For example, they may have booked a higher category oceanview and tried to price match to a lower category oceanview. Or they may have booked a rate that allows selecting a specific cabin and tried to price match with a rate that doesn't allow that.

Early Saver can be tricky. There are some restrictions that go with it (non refundable deposit, $50 penalty for any change, no name changes, and no downgrades). And even the savviest cruiser doesn't quite understand the price matching policies. But with that said, an overwhelming majority of people do report success by booking Early Saver.

If for some reason you decide NOT to book Early Saver and go with a less restrictive fare, do keep in mind that you'll still be eligible for price drops until the final payment date and after that, should prices drop further, you'll be eligible for category upgrades. Some rates (past guest, resident, military, interline, senior) can many times be cheaper and less restrictive so it's always good to call and check to see if you qualify for any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I totally agree with Tapi.

My advice is to get a good PVP of course it is kinds late for that now.

Don't try to make deals with the 800 number. As you never know who you will get. With a PVP oyu get their ext. number. When I see a price drop or some thing I want I just pick up the phone & say Gill help & help is always there.

Char

So -- any suggestions? Do I just go for it and, if the price drops, do the request? Or do I wait it out and hope for a lower price to come along?

- John...

I am getting married on the Sensation on January 25, 2015. At this point there are still plenty of rooms open on our cruise so it is very likely that you would still get a room. The only thing I will say is that she has to have her guest list turned in AT LEAST 30 days before sailing and if you are not on the list you cannot attend if the wedding is on the ship. So you would want to have your sailing info to her before then.

Thanks, everyone! I just booked it. It was the last day of the "Last Call Saver Plan" thing. I get price protection for drops through January 11th with an actual refund -- and then OBC after that.

I did book through a PVP as suggested above, so I have his direct number plus his extension at the 800 number to get back in touch with him if I need him to help with a price drop thing and such.

Again, thanks for advice!

- John...