RCCL Experts, I need your help on selecting a cruise!

Jessay

I will be celebrating my undergrad graduation this May, and my friends and I are trying to select a cruise. We're all aware that we need to make a decision ASAP, but we're having a difficult time deciding with the many pros and cons of each ship, so I thought that the boards may be able to help.

Thank you on advanced! Below are our options:

Option 1:

INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS

Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 San Juan, Puerto Rico

Day 4 Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Day 5 Basseterre, St. Kitts

Day 6 Cruising

Day 7 Cruising

Day 8 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

$3,869.40

Option 2

Independence Of The Seas

Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 Labadee, Haiti

Day 4 Falmouth, Jamaica

Day 5 George Town, Grand Cayman

Day 6 Cozumel, Mexico

Day 7 Cruising

Day 8 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

$ 3,666.68

Option 3

ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS

13-Jun San Juan, Puerto Rico

14-Jun St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

15-Jun Philipsburg, St. Maarten

16-Jun St. John's, Antigua

17-Jun Castries, St. Lucia

18-Jun Bridgetown, Barbados

19-Jun Cruising

20-Jun San Juan, Puerto Rico

$ 3,436.76

I've done all itineraries (except south carib.), but I'm taking some people who have never even been on a cruise, and I really want them to be impressed. I've read how cruising out of Puerto Rico isn't the best idea, but I really would love to hear what you all would think is the best in regards to both the cruise and itinerary! Thank you!

What cabin are you getting for these prices? That also makes a difference

Also if you are just compring ships not itineries then really what you are asking is Independence vs Adventure considering option 1 and 2 are same vessel

Edited by Garavar

What cabin are you getting for these prices? That also makes a difference

Also if you are just compring ships not itineries then really what you are asking is Independence vs Adventure considering option 1 and 2 are same vessel

They are all balconies. I understand that 2 are the same vessel, so then obviously I am just considering itinerary, but is the adventure of the seas much different from independence and is sailing out of puerto rico even a good idea?

Edited by Jessay

Cruising out of PR is fine.

Adventure has been refurbished. So the ship looks better now.

The AOS only has 1 day of cruising. As a first timer I would want to have the opportunity to get off the ship as much as possible.

I remember my first trip 18 years ago and I loved the different stops. You friends would probably want to see as many islands as possible.

"Half of a DINK and proud of it!."😜

They are all balconies. I understand that 2 are the same vessel, so then obviously I am just considering itinerary, but is the adventure of the seas much different from independence and is sailing out of puerto rico even a good idea?

I couldnt tell you, if they were much difference exactly. I went on Liberty which is sister to Indepedence and Navigator which is sister to Adventure and i didnt see much difference between the 2. Navigator felt just like Liberty to me.

As far as trips, I would definitely do St. Lucia and Antigua, love those Islands.

You could stay in PR a day before or after the trip. Nightlife in Old San Juan is pretty awesome. Great bars, dancing, and walking around the old cobblestones streets at night is a great experience. I always thought about it as Venice without water.

Have fun.

I'd prioritize 2, 3, 1 (as long as airfares to FLL and SJ were similar)

I LOVED Labadee and think first time cruisers would share my fondness for it: roller coaster, zip line... What's not to love? Also, the IOS has a flowrider, so if that interests you and your party, figure that into your calculus.

The SJ departure has some very nice stops, plus the chance to explore San Juan before and after... If you can get to SJ cheap, this could easily slide to first place.

I've only sailed their sister ships so the best I can say is the Independence is a bigger ship and has a flow rider.

I think I'm leaning towards both 2 and 3. Both are neck and neck with pricing and they come up to the same amount per person when including airfare.

3 then, better ports for sure, hands down in my opinion, but you are free to ask others about the ports

I was a bit unsure if the western itinerary is a little more better for first timers, but my friends really like the southern, too. Thanks for the opinions everyone, so from what I understand, adventure and independence are practically the same with the exception of indy having a flow rider.

If it was me i would do 1. I think for a first timer the more time on the ship the better/ Remember when I was a first timer I try to do everything. with all them stop and trying to stay up at night, you will need a week of rest. What ever you choose I think they will love it.

I was looking at prices and the cheapest balcony on Independence in May is $999 per person. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you are not considering the Oasis? In May the cheapest balcony is $1079 and the $80 would be worth it in my opinion to choose the Oasis over the Independence.

There are more activities / shows on the Oasis and more dining choices (although not sure dynamic dining will be available by then).

And the "Wow" factor... Your friends would be impressed by the Oasis.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know your friends best. If they like activities and want to be joiners then staying on the ship longer might be a good idea.

If laying on a beach and exploring the islands are some activities they would prefer then do the AOS.

So far 4, but 3 more may be going. They will of course go in a separate room.

I've sailed both ships. I did an 8 night Eastern Caribbean on the Independence. Also did a 7 night Southern (A) on the Adventure. The Independence is my favorite ship to date. The Adventure is close behind. We're sailing the Adventure again in March doing the itinerary you posted (B). We've done the (A) itinerary to Aruba etc... And absolutely loved it. For wow factor of a ship I would pick the Indy. For a port intensive itinerary, I would pick the Adventure. The Puerto Rican's on the ship are friendly albeit loud at times of competitions on the ship. Very proud people. Having been to San Juan several times, I never felt unsafe. Old San Juan is absolutely beautiful for exploring. Can be done in 1 day prior to a sailing.

The Adventure has been "refreshed" not "refurbished" that means they added some upgrades on the ship. Large poolside television screen. Touch screen finders near the elevators, and refreshed the cabins. Full refurbishment doesn't come until 2016 when the add a flow rider and additional restaurants etc..

You can't go wrong with either ship. Indy is newer and larger and more of a WOW factor. Eastern Caribbean IMO is better than Western. Southern is better than them all.

Both ships have a Royal Promenade walking mall in the center of the ships. Indy's is slightly larger/wider. Similar shops and restaurants.

Perhaps you could get a consensus of what your friends want to do. Ports vs. ships

Also go to YouTube and type in each ship. There will be many videos posted for you to review. An excellent wat to see real up to date conditions of the ships.

Good luck on your decision, you really can't go wrong with your choice.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19