Port charges and Taxes when calculating

Iamcruzin

I am researching travel insurance. I booked a cruise on 11/26/14 for a May 2016 sailing. I haven't decided if I'm purchasing the insurance through Celebrity or a third party. I usually purchase through Travel Guard but since I'm driving to port I don't need airfare covered. Basically I just want insurance just in case we have to cancel. Are the port charges and taxes reimbursed by the cruise line if you cancel last minute or should I include them in the cost of the trip?

Are the port charges and taxes reimbursed by the cruise line if you cancel last minute or should I include them in the cost of the trip?

It varies by cruise line. But if they ARE refundable you're wasting your money if you insure them. The insurers absolutely love those that do -- they receive a premium and have no risk of ever having to pay out. Sweet deal.

Keep in mind also that the refundable port fees/taxes portion is typically ~$100 for a week long cruise. Unless that amount bumps you into the next higher $500 pricing level, it will not make any difference in the cost of your insurance. Only when your cruise expenses are already bumping up against the top of the level ($975 or $1480) does this become significant.