Teenagers on HAL Statendam vs NCL Pearl

meizee

Hello, my family and I are planning to take our first cruise together in late April or early May. Money is a factor, but we do not want to spend it on a trip that bores us. I'm 17 and my brother is 13. Our choices are NCL Pearl and HAL Statendam. We are also aware of similar Princess and RCI cruises, but they are much more expensive.

NCL Pearl in an Interior has been our choice for a while (in fact, we made a deposit already with OBC). We see that this 15 deck ship offers a rock climbing wall, a water slide, a bowling alley, brighter decor, and younger demographics. This 5-day cruise also includes San Francisco.

HAL Statendam in an Oceanview is the most recent option we discovered. This 4-day cruise is substantially cheaper than NCL Pearl. It seems to be more traditional, but we fear there will be a great lack of teens in the Loft. This is a smaller ship with 10 decks, but I think I could enjoy this cruise despite my experience on the Allure OTS.

What would you choose? This family cruise is mainly for my brother and me, especially my brother who has never cruised before. I can get along with people of all ages, but my brother is not as mature. Our family likes to stay up late and sleep in. We're willing to cancel our NCL cruise if HAL is better.

Other factors include food quality, stateroom quality, nightlife, activities, virgin drinks/mocktails, and entertainment. Itineraries are not a factor, and we prefer not to spend on indulgences (spa, drink packages, restaurants).

I really like HAL but I don't think that the Statendam is a good choice for teens. A four day cruise might be a bit different, but generally the smaller the ship, the older the passengers, and the Statendam is one of the smallest.

I would not send my worst enemy on Statendam. Did 14N on its sister ship, Masdam, Floating nursing home, with food to match. Very small, nothing for kids. Were no kids on my cruise. Recently on NCL Sun. Not much better. Agree with others here, get on Mega ships of RCL.Will be something for all, inc. teens on ship. These ships have lots of cabins to sell. They will be reduced later on, maybe 2 mos,-6 weeks out. Start watching the websites of large discount cruise only agencies. Best bang for buck are Inside cabins. You spend very little time in cabins so this is where to save $$.Ask for OBC. Lotts of competion out there.

Well this is really embarrassing. This whole time I've posted about the Statendam when I should have said Westerdam. I guess this is what happens with lack of sleep :D I don't know how Statendam got into this post- they're not even the same class.

Anyhow, I understand there is plenty of dismay for Statendam, but if your opinion differs for Westerdam, I'd like to hear it. I get the impression that overall HAL is a line for seniors.

We have cruised HAL with our teenaged daughter. We always brought a friend on HAL because of the demographics. During summer or holiday times there are plenty of teens (but more to do on the NCL cruise you describe). We sailed while school in session one year and they were 2 of less than 30 children onboard. This was our Westerdam cruise. The staff in the LOFT were great. They arranged a tour of the bridge and backstage tour for them. On this cruise we were walking into the dining room and one of the other cruisers pointed to the girls and said "OH look, someone under 90":p

I haven't cruised on NCL but have on HAL and I don't think that I will again I am 57 years old and it was pretty boring I have never watched so many movies in my room before. We had a private cabana on the ship and it pretty bad when that's the highlight of your cruise

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was on HAL (Ryndam) when I was 17. I was the youngest on the ship. The next youngest passenger was 27 year old brother. We called it "The ship of the living dead". Choose NCL!

Edited by ChelleyP

If you were going at Christmas or the middle of summer I'd say flip a coin and have fun on either.

However since you state this is an April or early May cruise, go with NCL.

HAL at that time of year will be you two, your parents and then a bunch of old people. Come to think of it, your parents may be too young for an April HAL cruise ;)

Edited by Lerin