European cruise with a mobility scooter

floretts

We are preparing for a Mediterranean cruise on the Prinsendam in March. We will be traveling to lots of places including the Greek Isles, Spain, Turkey, Malta and Gibraltar. Has anyone had experience taking a mobility scooter to there places? We are aware that it is impossible to take a scooter ashore at tender ports--we have a conventional wheelchair for these.

Also, has anyone had experience taking a scooter onto the French trains from Bordeaus to Lisles and then onto the Chunnel train to England? We will be doing that at the end of our cruise.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. Floretts

We are preparing for a Mediterranean cruise on the Prinsendam in March. We will be traveling to lots of places including the Greek Isles, Spain, Turkey, Malta and Gibraltar. Has anyone had experience taking a mobility scooter to there places? We are aware that it is impossible to take a scooter ashore at tender ports--we have a conventional wheelchair for these.

Also, has anyone had experience taking a scooter onto the French trains from Bordeaus to Lisles and then onto the Chunnel train to England? We will be doing that at the end of our cruise.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. Floretts

It's always best when requesting information regarding accessibility in ports that you actually state the port of call city and not just the country . Accessibility can and does vary by city.

I have been to many of those countries. I have also taken the Eurostar from London to Paris and then a different high speed train from Paris to Barcelona. I find it very helpful to google the word "accessible" and then the name of the city. Many cities have maps which indicate accessible routes. Many attractions have such maps as well.

I have a travelscoot scooter and have been able to take it onboard tenders but it weighs under 50 lbs and I am able to walk a few steps. I hope this helps.

I have been to many of those countries. I have also taken the Eurostar from London to Paris and then a different high speed train from Paris to Barcelona. I find it very helpful to google the word "accessible" and then the name of the city. Many cities have maps which indicate accessible routes. Many attractions have such maps as well.

I have a travelscoot scooter and have been able to take it onboard tenders but it weighs under 50 lbs and I am able to walk a few steps. I hope this helps.

I bought a travelscoot and used it on a cruise last Spring. I love it but I had problems twice with a bearing that slipped out of the steering column and was very tricky to align back up. I now am a little worried every time I fold down the scooter that it will happen again. Have you had any problems like that with yours?

Wendy

Hello Wendy, I have not made any repairs like that on my scoot. The only thing I have done is to replace the drive belt which is on the older models. I did have one brake that while working was weaker than the one on the other side after 4 or so years of use. My husband to it to a local bike shop and they fixed that a couple of years ago and it has not been any problem since. I have had good luck in always getting a reply from Tony in Washington state when I have had a question. His contact information is on the travelscoot website. If it is still under warranty perhaps that could be invoked as well.

France, Spain and Gib are reasonably disabled friendly, but without knowing your ports of call and where you want to visit it is difficult to give specific advice.

BTW it is called the Channel Tunnel if you mean the Eurostar, not Chunnel. They offer good discounts to disabled passengers and their companion. Details are on the Eurostar website.

Most European trains are accessible, although you may need to request assistance in advance.

You could use a scooter to access the market area in Kusadasi but not for Ephesus. Most of the carpet stores were upstairs, but we did manage to find out which was on the first floor where you could watch the weavers at work.

In Istanbul, I would recommend instead taking a manual wheelchair. Lots of places without ramps, such as Aya Sophia and the Grand Bazaar. We used a manual wheelchair and took at cab, which worked out well. Lots of people willing to help lift a manual wheelchair up a few stairs in the tourist areas there.

I am sorry I did not list all our non-tender ports with my first posting. We will be going to the following: ;Arrecife, Canary Islands;

Madeira and Lisbon, Portugal;

Gibraltar; Cadiz,Tenerife,Malaga, Cartagena, Castellon de la Plana and Barcelona, Spain;

Valetta, Malta;

Antalya, Bodrum, Kusadasi, Marmaris and Istanbul, Turkey;

Constanta, Romania;

Varna, Bulgaria;

Athens, Iraklion and Corfu, Greece.

I appreciate all the suggestions thus far; they have been very helpful. I have sent an Email to Eurostar about accessibility for scooter--we have used their special seating for standard wheelchairs in the past.

One further question--do any of you who travel with mobility scooter take along extra batteries on long voyages?

Thanks for any additional suggestions. Floretts

Hello Wendy, I have not made any repairs like that on my scoot. The only thing I have done is to replace the drive belt which is on the older models. I did have one brake that while working was weaker than the one on the other side after 4 or so years of use. My husband to it to a local bike shop and they fixed that a couple of years ago and it has not been any problem since. I have had good luck in always getting a reply from Tony in Washington state when I have had a question. His contact information is on the travelscoot website. If it is still under warranty perhaps that could be invoked as well.

Thanks for your reply. The owner's manual had a diagram that was incorrect and that caused us a lot of trouble and led to the problem with the steering column. I called the Vancouver office where I purchased the Travelscoot and told them about the error, and they corrected the diagram and sent me a new manual. We just have to be careful not to touch that particular area. We have practiced folding it and unfolding it and have not had any problems.

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

Both Cadiz and Caragena are wonderful to access on your scooter, the centre of both are very close to the docks, they are flat and the surface is a pleasure to drive on. Gibraltar is fine if you stick to main street, or you can get a taxi to the apes den. Lisbon is fine as long as you stay clear of the old very hilly district. Barcelona is fine also. Valletta is posible, but take care on the steep hills, if you stick to the city gate area you will be fine, Corfu town is also possible if you don't mine a few bumpy bits. Hope this helps