Celebrity Excursion to the Belize Zoo

jbal47

Has anyone taken the ship's excursion to the Belize Zoo? The Celebrity website leaves a lot to be desired...not much info other than boat ride, lunch and zoo for $96, 6 hours. Was there a stop at the Howler Monkey Sanctuary?

Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated.....going on the Equinox, January 12.

Happy New Year!

Barbara :confused:

Just did this excursion in November. Started with a 1hour bus ride to Belize Zoo, the zoo had some very interesting animals but we felt rushed during the tour. Then a shorter bus ride to where you board the boat and eat lunch. Lunch was caribbean chicken disk with rice and beans, Boat ride. Was very interesting, lots of different animals. Tour ends with a Miami Vice type of race across the bay back to the port. No stop at the Monkey Sanctuary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by oneputt18

We did this tour during our Dec.1 Equinox cruise. We had a great time. There is a considerable bus ride. We went to the zoo first. Saw many local animals up close, enjoyed the jaguar which was raised in captivity. They fed him up close and gave anyone who wanted to a chance to go inside its cage (still caged in) to feed and touch him for $20 pp. Then we went by bus again to a resort for chicken with rice and beans which was very nice. We then boarded a boat and took a nice cruise viewing the wildlife which included a crocodile, iguanas,various birds and manatees. They also made a special stop at a local supermarket where we were able to buy beer and a wine called cashew wine which is a local favorite.

We did this tour during our Dec.1 Equinox cruise. wildlife which included a crocodile, iguanas,various birds and manatees. They also made a special stop at a local supermarket where we were able to buy beer and a wine called cashew wine which is a local favorite.

But you can't bring either on board to yiur cabin so did you bring home or drink there?

But you can't bring either on board to yiur cabin so did you bring home or drink there?

We drank the beer while on the bus, but the wine we put in our backpack and were able to take it to the room. We bought it to bring home. We were on a back to back cruise and we brought back two 1.75 liter bottles of rum from the Mount Gay distillery and had no trouble bringing it to the room either. We found it very strange that they did not hold it. We never saw a table to confiscate liquor.

We drank the beer while on the bus, but the wine we put in our backpack and were able to take it to the room. We bought it to bring home. We were on a back to back cruise and we brought back two 1.75 liter bottles of rum from the Mount Gay distillery and had no trouble bringing it to the room either. We found it very strange that they did not hold it. We never saw a table to confiscate liquor.

Thanks! Your post lead me to Google the wine and I found this neat article on Belize Foods.

http://www.belize.com/top-ten-things-to-taste-in-belize

Since my tour to zoo includes the lunch with the #1 item, I can then work through list. I thought it was X's policy - like RCI- that you could only bring on wine or beer at the FIRST port. (HAL lets yiu do at every port). And they confiscate liquor when you rebord when they see it in xray machine and hold till yiu depart.

Steve

Has anyone taken the ship's excursion to the Belize Zoo? The Celebrity website leaves a lot to be desired...not much info other than boat ride, lunch and zoo for $96, 6 hours. Was there a stop at the Howler Monkey Sanctuary?

Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated.....going on the Equinox, January 12.

Happy New Year!

Barbara :confused:

We haven't looked into the ship's excursion to the Belize Zoo, but would definitely be interested in sharing a taxi ride with someone. It's rated Belize City's number 1 attraction on Trip Advisor, but I can see a taxi ride for just two people as possibly being exorbitantly priced.

We did this with a private tour company and were able to include both the Zoo and Cave Tubing. We enjoyed both very much. Check Trip Advisor or the Belize forum here for recommendations of vendors.
We had initially planned on doing just the Cave Tubing, but my husband is hesitant primarily because we enjoy taking pictures wherever we are and don't want to have to leave our cameras behind just to avoid having them get water damaged. Any thoughts on his concerns? Could you tell us a little bit more about the cave tubing? For example, would it be suitable for "active seniors"? ;) If we decide to do just the zoo instead, what's the best way to get there from the port? I'm a huge animal lover so stuff like this is really right up my alley. Edited by Katzpur

Actually Jbal - who posted last week is on our cruise next week (Equinox) and is joinging me and another couple. We have a small group doing a 5 hour tour of the zoo plus Belize City and this includes lunch. For the five of us in a comfortable van the price was only $45.00 and the company is highly rated on TA. Company is Splashwatertours. Of course I won't know how good it is until after we do it chdeck out their website.

Steve

We had initially planned on doing just the Cave Tubing, but my husband is hesitant primarily because we enjoy taking pictures wherever we are and don't want to have to leave our cameras behind just to avoid having them get water damaged. Any thoughts on his concerns? Could you tell us a little bit more about the cave tubing? For example, would it be suitable for "active seniors"? ;) If we decide to do just the zoo instead, what's the best way to get there from the port? I'm a huge animal lover so stuff like this is really right up my alley.

Here are my photos from this cruise:

https://jazzbeauxncldawncruise.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

You should have no trouble identifying the cave tubing and Belize Zoo images (they start at image 41 -- the towel animals are NOT from the zoo ;)).

I didn't bring my camera that day for fear of water damage [these photos are all from a roll call mate who shared--thanks!--and were taken by the guides at the beginning of the float] -- but the water was always as calm as in the photos you see, and there was very little dripping from the roof of the cave so I think my camera would have been safe. I have a water-resistant belt pack which I'm sure would have kept the camera safe when I wasn't using it.

The cave tubing would be fine for active seniors -- if you pick the right vendor. We used VIVtours, and they carried the tubes for us. We saw other groups (I think they were ship tours :eek:) who had to carry their tubes a long distance. We also had the new-style tubes that link together, so you don't have someone's feet in your armpits [yes, we saw that on the other tours too :eek: :eek:]

The zoo is on the way back to the ship, but you would still need a taxi or tour to get there.

We had a roll call group of 6 for a private tour, cave tubing and zoo, 6 hours, $75 pp (in 2013). This combination wasn't listed on the website, but when I emailed they immediately offered to put it together for us.

Good luck!