Cc Afternoon Appetizers

AUNTDEBBA

I have been reading a lot about these awful canapes, and was wondering if it would be rude to ask the room attendant from day 1 that we would like shrimp cocktail and cheese/crackers, also the tropical fruit bowl instead of regular? I don't want to seem rude. Also, have many people had luck in getting their "pillow menu"? thought that was a nice added bonus.

• 2 months later...

auntdebba !!!!

So glad i found you !!

Lost your e-mail address, write to me when you can. Absolutely loved your "story"adventure about your cruise.Would love to know how the rest went !!

Hope you see this, would love to have your thoughts on places to see on our next cruise.

Nadine

After 2 days of the standard canape's we had our attendant start bringing the nicer ones available through room service. He did it automatically after the first time, and was happy to do it.
So what exactly is the difference between "standard canape's" and "the nicer ones"?

I'm always the lone voice in the wilderness, but we actually like the canapes. Some are nicer than others, I will admit. (The ones with caviar are pretty awful, but my husband eats those.)

If I wanted something other than the canapes, I would consider getting it myself from the buffet or requesting it at a different time. I would hate to be a steward trying to deliver canapes and having to fetch a dozen different room service orders at the same time. Just saying...

Lisa

we requested raw veggies with & cheese for our CC room when we boarded and except for the first day got them. There's so much food that we didn't want to fill up before dinner. We don't like sushi or cavier. Don't be afraid to ask and be sure to thank them. Enjoy your cruise!

Also, have many people had luck in getting their "pillow menu"? thought that was a nice added bonus.

First thing we did upon meeting our steward was to ask for different pillows for my wife. I don't know if a "menu" actually exists (like a printed menu from which you order), but if you go to X's website you can see the types available and then simply request a specific type when you get there.

But all these mistakes go away when you get the homemade ice cream at the ice cream bar every efternoon...

We became quite addicted to the ice cream on our 14 day cruise. We'd hurry back onboard in port to grab some as a mid-afternoon snack, then back again after dinner for another scoop (or 2 or 3) before they closed down at 9. It was so quiet and uncrowded there that time of night, and I liked the blue glow of the lights on the icecream stand and watching the water through the little port holes in the floor.

My favorites: lemon, fruit punch, and of course chocolate. Also, the cinnamon ice cream served in the dining room one night was amazing...

Well, I'm on the wrong side of this one!:o

On our cruise in Sept., not only did I think the canapes had improved, but I actually LIKED them! No, I wouldn't miss them terribly if Sushi were deliverd instead, or a gourmet cheese platter. We usually got two canapes topped with large prawns and pesto spread, two with a blue cheese mousse, and two others. One thing that I really liked was that the 'two others" usually involved an anchovy- YUM! Usually on a slice of cheese with some red pepper. Bread and Canapes- what can I say...premaking them, the bread is always likely to be a little stale, no matter what you do, when producing little plates, pre wrapping them, and delivering them around the ship. Because it's not actually BAD food, I guess I forgave the dry bread somewhat, but I did notice it. Best to be there when they get delivered. Finding them at 7:00 when you come back to the room, not so sure I'd eat them then.:rolleyes:

Also on the wrong side of the ice cream discussion. Never liked it. It's o.k., but not what I'd call good, no matter the flavor. Actually, that's not true. There was one flavor, Diet Vanilla Custard?, that was dreadful! Other than that, it was just o.k., but I'm always surprised to hear people rave about it. The ices, OTH can be quite nice.

Just goes to show you, tastes are different!:) Then again, while I did go to Culinary school, and think, in general, that the food on Celebrity is "good," not "great", I also grew up in New England, with a grandmother who thought asparagus needed to be steamed for 45 minutes to be properly cooked, and thought a wedge of bland brie on a Bremner waffer was an elaborate and highly exotic hors doeuvre!:D So realize I may have competing issues when it comes to judging food!

Andrew

I'm always the lone voice in the wilderness, but we actually like the canapes. Some are nicer than others, I will admit. (The ones with caviar are pretty awful, but my husband eats those.)

Lisa

Quote Blazerboy "Well, I'm on the wrong side of this one!:o "

Count me in here also. they are just fine and finally something the right size to eat extrra on a ship.

thankyou

Frankly, I think sending them back with that note was the height of rudeness! What an entitled bunch we think we are. Either find a solution to the problem or just don't eat them! You won't die if you miss one little 'perk'!

Lorelle

I am allergic to shrimp so we request a cheese and fruit plate instead of the hors d'oevres. We did request cheese and crackers but we got water crackers, which to me have no taste so we changed to the fruit. If you really like cheese and crackers, I suggest you bring some crackers on board with you.

Katie

Katie, I'm jealous- LOVE water crackers but we kept getting the equivalent of saltines and those Keebler butter crackers:p - had to bribe (not literally) the butler to bring us water crackers, which we prefer!

Next time, we'll have to trade!

Andrew

Despite the fact that the canapes are pretty dismal, I grew accustomed to the taste. Having just returned from a last minute trip with my Mom on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas, I can assure you that the canapes would have been a magnificent alternative to the slop served to the masses in the dining rooms. Rejoice in all that you are fed on Celebrity!

Macop, are you certain that the mishap with your attendant last year where he spilled the raspberry smoothie all over your white dress etc. and smacked your head with the room service tray was truly an accident? Judging by how you claim you treat those wo serve you onboard ships I would watch my back if I were you.

• 2 months later...

Hey folks,

Knock it off. Some of you apparently didn't read this post from the Admin...

"It is extremely rare that I have to post a message like this -- even more rare on the Celebrity board.

But -- the number of HARASSING posts directed towards one or any group of people here MUST STOP.

These types of posts do nothing but waste everyone's time. You are wasting the time of your fellow communityr members who visit a thread thinking something new and interesting has been posted, only to find your NONSENSE. You are wasting the time of my volunteer staff who spend so much of their time moderating these forums. I won't even mention my time -- let's leave it at -- ENOUGH ALREADY.

I think I've made myself very clear. I will not hesitate to remove posting privileges from those that refuse to stop."

Archived