Tipping tours and taxis

dltvermont

So we dont go places very often where we have to use a taxi etc, just want to make sure we arent looking cheap.

How much to you usually tip your taxi/shuttle operators and tour guides? Assuming you are treated right and have a good tour/trip etc.

It's always subjective. A taxi driver might get a few singles. Tour guides and the like will get quite a bit more from me depending on group size, length of the tour, and quality of the tour. I budget $20 for tour guides. That may be cheap to some or a lot to others...doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Hope you don't mind me stealing a question on your thread...

but I'm doing 3 excursions with Carnival on our next cruise.

Stingray Sandbar, Turtle Snorkel and Caverns and a beach day in Jamaica at Seawinds.

I figured tipping the first two would be expected...but how much? Per person?

And for our Seawinds excursion who do I tip? Do we have a mandated server?

I'm trying to budget so if anyone has any answers that would be great (:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Based on your replies it sounds like I was on the right track.

HollandAvery, no problem. You are asking for the same reason I am. I have two excursions and an all inclusive day on our next cruise that Im budgeting cash for and wanted to have everything set.

Our last cruise I just kind of hung back and watched what others were giving and did the same. Yeah yeah, so we dont get out much!! haha.

Day pass to all inclusive is just $1 per drink or just something at the end of the day to the bartender. Same thing with meals IF there is a waiter. We don't tip buffet/cafeteria style "waiters" who just bring a water or remove dishes from the table. Then tip to driver (usually a taxi) if the transportation is separate.

Excursions we give tip to the driver at end of the tour, although we once gave a tip to a really excellent tour guide who worked at the local attraction and not for the excursion company.

Of course, tips are very subjective. Those are just my guidelines developed by, like you, watching what others are doing and following suit.

We tip taxis around 20%.....

Tour guides, if they make the tour interesting, we will give $5-10.....if the "tour" is simply transportation, we don't tip for that....as we got what we paid for....

Some guides are much better than others!