Star's Dry Dock in Portland, Oregon

calex

At this posting (my last bedtime is calling) the NCL STAR is about 5 miles

east of Santa Cruz island (Channel Islands) and parallel off Point Mugu NAS.

Next up Malibu - Santa Monica and a quick turn around Palos Verdes and voila

Long Beach/San Pedro.

NCL STAR cruising at 13.9 knots and is easily able to make the ETA perhaps a bit earlier !

Now for the reports of all the good things that were done to make cruising such a pleasure !

At this posting (my last bedtime is calling) the NCL STAR is about 5 miles

east of Santa Cruz island (Channel Islands) and parallel off Point Mugu NAS.

Next up Malibu - Santa Monica and a quick turn around Palos Verdes and voila

Long Beach/San Pedro.

NCL STAR cruising at 13.9 knots and is easily able to make the ETA perhaps a bit earlier !

Now for the reports of all the good things that were done to make cruising such a pleasure !

SHE'S HERE!!!

She's coming into San Pedro right now!!!

ncl website has updated deck plans for star to reflect o'sheehan's on deck 8,

where moderno and blue lagoon were. also, moderno and mojito bar on

deck 13 where star bar and cagney's overflow were.

tom

That's a fast update by NCL standards of the past... :) One thing I never understood about how they list Star on the website... it is listed as a "Dawn Class" ship built in 2001, but Dawn was built in 2002... so what class was it for the year before Dawn came out?

Edited by cliffd64

I understand the Norwegian Next program includes a few modifications that were to be made to the Star while in dry dock, like a new Mojito bar and a new pub, O'Sheehans. These were structurally very minor and will probably appear as new names for existing places on the deck plans.

Anyone have any idea when the NCL deck plans for the Star will be updated for the recently completed changes?

I noticed this morning that the new deck plans are on the NCL site. Looks like they renamed that bar on 7, to It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere. LOL

I noticed this morning that the new deck plans are on the NCL site. Looks like they renamed that bar on 7, to It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere. LOL

Does that mean they will have MARGARITA SPECIALS at 5 PM in the new Jimmy Buffet venue?

Did anyone else notice the poor image quality for deck 7 on the NCL website? I hope the actual upgrades are a higher quality than the image added by a desk jockey in Miami.

I full agree Calex, deck 7 on the NCL site is not in focus. Also they still have Stars renovation as 2010.

They still list The Red Lion Pub as a drink venue however "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" took over the space where Red Lion used to be. I guess they didn't want 2 pubs...even tho Red Lion was English & O'Sheehans is Irish.

It also looks as if Ginza is now under free dining as well as O'Sheehans. The sushi/Saki bar is still specialty dining.

Sugar Cane Mojito Bar & Moderno moving up to 13 was expected. Was curious to know if any other ships have "The 5 O'Clock Somewhere" Bar

Also I had heard rumors that they were getting rid of the Wine Celler but it's still on the deck plans...hope it's still there

ncl website has updated deck plans for star to reflect o'sheehan's on deck 8,

where moderno and blue lagoon were. also, moderno and mojito bar on

deck 13 where star bar and cagney's overflow were.

tom

We sailed on the Spirit last summer and very much enjoyed the open-air area aft behind the buffet. It was fun to take our breakfast or lunch outside or have a drink or just relax/read/play cards and enjoy the aft view. We also liked the lounge with its beautiful forward view. The Star doesn't seem to have anything comparable so we were pretty much planning to spend time in the Star Bar and hoping that it had a forward view. The new deck plans look like the Mojito Bar will be surrounded by Moderno and Cagneys and therefore not have much of a view. Can someone who's been on the Star before comment on this? Other than the promenade or the pool which can get pretty hectic, is there anywhere to sit and enjoy the view?

Correct this if this is not correct:

The Ginza was/is the free restaurant and the Teppanyaki had the dinner surcharge.

Ginza was a speciality with a $15 pp cover charge for dinner. The change to complimentary is new and apparently only for the Star post dry dock. Sushi is still a la carte pricing. The $10 per item hot rock grill at the table is new and may replace the hot pot previously offered.

Edited by herdingdogmom

We sailed on the Spirit last summer and very much enjoyed the open-air area aft behind the buffet. It was fun to take our breakfast or lunch outside or have a drink or just relax/read/play cards and enjoy the aft view. We also liked the lounge with its beautiful forward view. The Star doesn't seem to have anything comparable so we were pretty much planning to spend time in the Star Bar and hoping that it had a forward view. The new deck plans look like the Mojito Bar will be surrounded by Moderno and Cagneys and therefore not have much of a view. Can someone who's been on the Star before comment on this? Other than the promenade or the pool which can get pretty hectic, is there anywhere to sit and enjoy the view?

The Star bar didn't have a forward view except overlooking the pool area. They have some outside lounges forward on deck 13 that have forward views, but nothing inside that I am aware of.

The Star bar didn't have a forward view except overlooking the pool area. They have some outside lounges forward on deck 13 that have forward views, but nothing inside that I am aware of.

OK good. Thanks. I was kind of picturing that area to be like an unimproved space on the top of the Spirit that had 2 or 3 chairs that nobody ever used, so this is good to hear.

OK good. Thanks. I was kind of picturing that area to be like an unimproved space on the top of the Spirit that had 2 or 3 chairs that nobody ever used, so this is good to hear.

It's the Beirgarten on deck 14 - one of my favorite spots!

Edited by diathoney

Correct this if this is not correct:

The Ginza was/is the free restaurant and the Teppanyaki had the dinner surcharge.

The entire Ginza/Sushi/Teppanyaki used to have a charge. In fact, I was able to make a reservation at Ginza prior to the dry dock - a couple of weeks ago - today, that reservation was gone and there is no option to make a reservation at Ginza anymore. But you can make a reservation at Teppanyaki.

Does that mean they will have MARGARITA SPECIALS at 5 PM in the new Jimmy Buffet venue?

Did anyone else notice the poor image quality for deck 7 on the NCL website? I hope the actual upgrades are a higher quality than the image added by a desk jockey in Miami.

Oooh, I would wish for Margarita Specials!! Will have to check on that.

Hopefully they serve Hurricane's at the Five O'clock Somewhere bar. ;)

The addition of that bar is a pleasant surprise.

It's not a new bar, just a new name. I do like the name. Should mean that it's open 24 hours a day, right? Because it's 5 o'clock SOMEWHERE!!

It's not a new bar, just a new name. I do like the name. Should mean that it's open 24 hours a day, right? Because it's 5 o'clock SOMEWHERE!!

I do hope the décor has been updated to match the new name. Sounds like you are going to check it out for us and report back!