Star's Dry Dock in Portland, Oregon

calex

Sorry, wrong link, this one mentions pounding out the dent at 1:33 in the video. http://koin.com/2015/03/04/giant-norwegian-ship-pulls-into-swan-island/

But this link was already posted on the previous page, sorry for the redundancy.

No worries your mind is on our cruise next week and the all of the fun our group will have.:D

You're absolutely right Linda! :D

Linda the Book Lover, craig-n-carol, and all others sailing the Star thru the canal soon -- What Port of Call was my recent 'Gathering Point' Bermuda Dent photo taken ?

Chris

I know, I know, but I won't spoil the surprise!

Hey Chris daylight savings time really got to me and I forgot to answer your question. Somewhere on your Panama Canal cruise...I know you asked for the port but like I am still foggy from the "spring forward one hour" LOL

Linda

Hey Chris daylight savings time really got to me and I forgot to answer your question. Somewhere on your Panama Canal cruise...I know you asked for the port but like I am still foggy from the "spring forward one hour" LOL

Linda

Don't tell Chris which port it was. He is just going to have to make another Panama cruise to find his answer.........

I know, too ----------BUT I AIN'T GONNA TELL HIM !!!!!!

The schedule says 3/17, but the most logical scenario was posted earlier that the Star will head South 3/15 and some work will be completed enroute to LA for arrival 3/17.

Notifications like this from the company to the public are not really the "drydock" schedule. It is the "time out of service", and this includes the transit time to/from the shipyard, so she needs to be at the Columbia bar around the 15th at 6-11pm (depending on the speed they want to make), so back up the transit time up the river (6-8 hours, I think), and that would make leaving the shipyard the morning of the 15th, so sinking the dock evening to night of the 14th.

Notifications like this from the company to the public are not really the "drydock" schedule. It is the "time out of service", and this includes the transit time to/from the shipyard, so she needs to be at the Columbia bar around the 15th at 6-11pm (depending on the speed they want to make), so back up the transit time up the river (6-8 hours, I think), and that would make leaving the shipyard the morning of the 15th, so sinking the dock evening to night of the 14th.

Yes. The actual schedule, according to both Vigor's press releases and the news reports, is that the Star will LEAVE Portland on Sunday March 15.

KP === Have you heard if they are fixing the dent at the back of the Star? I know you posted earlier that they may not fix it due to the difficulty of reaching the area from inside the ship.

KP === Have you heard if they are fixing the dent at the back of the Star? I know you posted earlier that they may not fix it due to the difficulty of reaching the area from inside the ship.

Apparently those a news report on another forum post that says that they are intending to fix the dent.

Can't wait to see the ship when we cruise on her in May!

Apparently those a news report on another forum post that says that they are intending to fix the dent.

Can't wait to see the ship when we cruise on her in May!

Yes, apparently they will fix it, which means there may be some frame damage behind the hull plating. Sometimes the decision to repair a dent or leave it depends on whether the owner has collected insurance money on it, but since the Star caused the problem, that isn't the case.

I really wouldn't want to be the poor guy they stuff back there to do the internal welding. I've crawled around in the void between the walk-in freezers and the hull (there are atmosphere monitors in there checking for refrigerant leaks, and some drain plumbing), and it's certainly not fun. Then again, I'm getting too old and too fat to stuff myself through some of those small places.

Yes, apparently they will fix it, which means there may be some frame damage behind the hull plating. Sometimes the decision to repair a dent or leave it depends on whether the owner has collected insurance money on it, but since the Star caused the problem, that isn't the case.

I really wouldn't want to be the poor guy they stuff back there to do the internal welding. I've crawled around in the void between the walk-in freezers and the hull (there are atmosphere monitors in there checking for refrigerant leaks, and some drain plumbing), and it's certainly not fun. Then again, I'm getting too old and too fat to stuff myself through some of those small places.

By the way, your posts on here have been very informative and fun to read. It's been great keeping up with this dry dock.

Linda the Book Lover, craig-n-carol, and all others sailing the Star thru the canal soon -- What Port of Call was my recent 'Gathering Point' Bermuda Dent photo taken ?

Chris

The Gathering Point photo was taken at the beautiful Port of Huatulco, Mexico on November 25th Eastbound from Miami. Also on this adventure were Swedish_Weave and Oregonian123 who knew the answer, but would not 'spill the beans'.

Star_Bump_zps2b67e220.jpg