Another passport question-sorry!

ChristineS72

I decided not to get my children passports and use Birth certificates only. Has anyone had an issue boarding a carnival ship without a passport? Anyone boarded with ONLY birth certificates only in the last few weeks?

I know its recommended, etc... and it states on the website Bc's are acceptable.

They are 13 & 11. I have a passport.

I decided not to get my children passports and use Birth certificates only. Has anyone had an issue boarding a carnival ship without a passport? Anyone boarded with ONLY birth certificates only in the last few weeks?

I know its recommended, etc... and it states on the website Bc's are acceptable.

Nope, not a problem. There is absolutely no reason to stress about this. Our son has been on 7 cruises with nothing but a BC to board.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

I didn't get passports for my daughters (ages 16, 14 and 12) when we went on our 8 day cruise this past Thanksgiving. I just couldn't afford them. So I brought their official birth certificates and the driver's permit for the oldest and had absolutely no problems. The only time they looked at the documents was at embarkation. I brought everything with me at every port and all we ever needed to show was our Sail & Sign card.

Sailed 10 times with my kids on Disney, CCL, and NCL with just their Birth Certificates (and Drivers License after they turned 16) with absolutely no issues.

Chances are you will be fine...In terms of Carnival you will be fine.

At most ports you do not need to show any I.D. other than your sign & sail upon reboarding the ship.

However, last July in Cozumel, Mexican authorities were asking for passports when re entering the walkway to the ship. We all have passports, so we were fine, but I'm not sure what they would have done about other forms of I.D.(probably fine but I just know they were specifically shouting out asking for passports)

Also just be aware that should there be any sort of emergency while you are away(unexpected medical emergency, or family back home, etc) that requires you to get off the ship and fly home, would require passports. In some cases if there is an injury or illness that occurs on the ship, they can force you off the ship for higher level medical care, and it's not really up to you. Even if say for example someone fell and was injured on the ship, but needed more care than they could provide on the ship they can leave you at a port.

So required, no.....highly, highly recommended (along with travel insurance) YES

At most ports you do not need to show any I.D. other than your sign & sail upon reboarding the ship.

However, last July in Cozumel, Mexican authorities were asking for passports when re entering the walkway to the ship. We all have passports, so we were fine, but I'm not sure what they would have done about other forms of I.D.(probably fine but I just know they were specifically shouting out asking for passports)

Also just be aware that should there be any sort of emergency while you are away(unexpected medical emergency, or family back home, etc) that requires you to get off the ship and fly home, would require passports. In some cases if there is an injury or illness that occurs on the ship, they can force you off the ship for higher level medical care, and it's not really up to you. Even if say for example someone fell and was injured on the ship, but needed more care than they could provide on the ship they can leave you at a port.

So required, no.....highly, highly recommended (along with travel insurance) YES

What would have happened if you left your passports in your safe like the majority of people do?

It sounds very unusual for them to be asking for passports just to get back on the ship .

Bill

What would have happened if you left your passports in your safe like the majority of people do?

It sounds very unusual for them to be asking for passports just to get back on the ship .

Bill

Maybe unusual to you, Bill, but it does happen.

Several ports in the past 3 years or so have been asking for passports when getting back on the ship. That or second forms of picture id.

And maybe some people aren't wise enough to take your passport with you when you get off the ship in a foreign port. As bradysmom states, carrying a passport is more in case of getting stuck in a foreign country after the boat has left. A passport is to prove that you can get back IN to the USA.

Edited by HawkIVette

Maybe unusual to you, Bill, but it does happen.

Several ports in the past 3 years or so have been asking for passports when getting back on the ship. That or second forms of picture id.

And maybe some people aren't wise enough to take your passport with you when you get off the ship in a foreign port. As bradysmom states, carrying a passport is more in case of getting stuck in a foreign country after the boat has left. A passport is to prove that you can get back IN to the USA.

Sorry, not trying to ruffle any feathers and I don't doubt it happens.

Was just asking what happens if you left it on the ship, which we do even though it's not the smartest thing to do, or if you don't have a passport?

Bill

Was just asking what happens if you left it on the ship, which we do even though it's not the smartest thing to do, or if you don't have a passport?

Bill

9 times out of 10, probably nothing. But if it ever happens to you, it can really ruin a vacation. I always practice on the safe side (retired Firefighter- safety first).

No ruffled feathers here, just sound advice. Just as easy to take my passport as a picture ID like a license or photo ID (which is what they advise you to take with you when getting off the ship).

It's all good here, not trying to upset you either.

Edited by HawkIVette

Bill

If you REALLY need the passport you let the port agent know. He will tell the cruise ship and they will send someone to your room to get it. No problem.

9 times out of 10, probably nothing. But if it ever happens to you, it can really ruin a vacation. I always practice on the safe side (retired Firefighter- safety first).

No ruffled feathers here, just sound advice. Just as easy to take my passport as a picture ID like a license or photo ID (which is what they advise you to take with you when getting off the ship).

It's all good here, not trying to upset you either.

Ok it's all good.:)

Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

Have a good night:)

Bill

The last cruise with my son (he was 18) he just had a bc and drivers license. No problem. I always thought you should not take your passport with you in port. As someone said, if they are checking before you board, I can't imagine that someone from the ship could not get it for you. I have yet to hear of numerous cruisers stranded in a foreign land because they left their passports on the ship.

I have yet to hear (or see) of numerous cruisers stranded in a foreign land because they left their passports on the ship.

Yep, a little bit of common sense goes a long way. Additionally, some don't even have passports to provide and they aren't stranded in some foreign land.

It's easier to yell "passport" than "passport or other WHTI compliant identification document";), but my guess is that most people didn't have their passports with them either because they used an alternative form of ID to get on the ship or they left them in the ship's safe. Getting back into the port area we've always shown our drivers licenses and sail and sign card.

It's easier to yell "passport" than "passport or other WHTI compliant identification document";), but my guess is that most people didn't have their passports with them either because they used an alternative form of ID to get on the ship or they left them in the ship's safe. Getting back into the port area we've always shown our drivers licenses and sail and sign card.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I am not aware of any cruise port in the Caribbean where a passport is required for entry or to re-board the cruise ship and I doubt there are any. If there were, the cruise lines would have to stop calling there as most cruisers do not carry their passport ashore and a large number don't even have a passport. They might require a photo ID, but not a passport. That's why they tell you to take photo ID when you leave the ship. I've never heard them announce that you needed to take your passport. I also don't think the Mexican port authorities give a hoot if you can get back in the US or not.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I am not aware of any cruise port in the Caribbean where a passport is required for entry or to re-board the cruise ship and I doubt there are any. If there were, the cruise lines would have to stop calling there as most cruisers do not carry their passport ashore and a large number don't even have a passport. They might require a photo ID, but not a passport. That's why they tell you to take photo ID when you leave the ship. I've never heard them announce that you needed to take your passport. I also don't think the Mexican port authorities give a hoot if you can get back in the US or not.

Correct, you always need to take photo ID with your Sail and sign. Port authorities need to match your ship card to photo ID. The Fun Times always reminds you to take photo ID.

Last week on our NYE on Liberty we were asked for our sign and sail cards and a photo ID upon entering the ship in Belize. Some had their passports with them and some had Dr. License. We left our passports in safe so used dr. License with no issues.

This was the only port that asked.

It's also possible that the official was having fun with the tourists by shouting "passports" to break up the monotony of his day. If I had a mind numbing job like that to do I'd try to find ways to shake things up a bit:).

I will add that three out of four times when returning to the states the CBP officer advised me that we should have passports. I just smiled and thanked him for the advice.

Ugh, thank you both!!!!!!!!! I am panicking with my cruise in 6 weeks.

I cruised back in 2010 with them with no passports and had no issues either.

I think I will look into getting them for the next one!

Oops, sorry. I meant why are you panicking? Carnivals own website said your good.

Edited by CRJ700