Baltimore -- Rumor?

I am on Quantum and a fellow passenger told me that a new port is going to be built in Baltimore -- one that would be located so that ships could bypass the bridge. Sound feasible? Anyone else hear anything? Would love to see bigger ships in Baltimore. Katherine

I am on Quantum and a fellow passenger told me that a new port is going to be built in Baltimore -- one that would be located so that ships could bypass the bridge. Sound feasible? Anyone else hear anything? Would love to see bigger ships in Baltimore. Katherine

It doesn't matter if the ships can avoid going under the Key Bridge to Baltimore, they still have to pass under the Bay Bridge near Annapolis which has a similar height restriction. Sorry, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

The new port facility being discussed would be located at the old Beth Steel property at Sparrows Point.

This would be used mostly for roro and automobile ships and other commercial cargo.

The property is located just south of the Key Bridge and north of the Bay Bridge.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

It would not be built in Baltimore........like someone said you have to go under the two bridges to leave the bay. Virginia Beach maybe??
Chances of building a new port in Virginia Beach are slim and none. Norfolk (next door) has a pretty new port and is sitting almost empty (six cruises in 2015). As long as Norfolk is home to multiple aircraft carriers it will NOT be bridged in. One can cruise to Annapolis before encountering a bridge (the one there is marginally higher than the Key Bridge, but not much), and there has been slight discussion of a cruise port in the Annapolis area, but no party is significantly pushing it.

Thom

BTW Radiance class can make it under both bridges into Baltimore (this has been confirmed by Goldstein), so Baltimore is not limited to Vision class.

Edited by TravelerThom

Chances of building a new port in Virginia Beach are slim and none. Norfolk (next door) has a pretty new port and is sitting almost empty (six cruises in 2015). As long as Norfolk is home to multiple aircraft carriers it will NOT be bridged in. One can cruise to Annapolis before encountering a bridge (the one there is marginally higher than the Key Bridge, but not much), and there has been slight discussion of a cruise port in the Annapolis area, but no party is significantly pushing it.

Thom

BTW Radiance class can make it under both bridges into Baltimore (this has been by Goldstein), so Baltimore is not limited to Vision class.

I would love to sail a Radiance Class ship to Bermuda!

I would love to sail a Radiance Class ship to Bermuda!

I would, too. . . . or I would like to see an interesting/unusual itinerary. I feel they would sell well. . . and at a premium. [Royal --are you listening?]

For example--I have booked a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox for Feb 2017. Yep, more than 2 years out. But, the cruise stops in New Orleans for 2 nights during Mardi Gras and does a W. Caribbean. The cruise just opened for booking about 3 weeks ago and all of the suites, Aqua cabins and Concierge cabins are sold out. [sure, Celebrity is doing a promotion, but RCL seems to always be running one, too.]

I am not sure where--maybe a 14 day cruise that includes Grenada, Barbados, etc. [islands you can not get to unless you leave from Miami/FLL or SJU. ]

sorry not trying to hijack your thread. :o

I would, too. . . . or I would like to see an interesting/unusual itinerary. I feel they would sell well. . . and at a premium. [Royal --are you listening?]

For example--I have booked a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox for Feb 2017. Yep, more than 2 years out. But, the cruise stops in New Orleans for 2 nights during Mardi Gras and does a W. Caribbean. The cruise just opened for booking about 3 weeks ago and all of the suites, Aqua cabins and Concierge cabins are sold out. [sure, Celebrity is doing a promotion, but RCL seems to always be running one, too.]

I am not sure where--maybe a 14 day cruise that includes Grenada, Barbados, etc. [islands you can not get to unless you leave from Miami/FLL or SJU. ]

Wow, that's an awesome itinerary! I wish I had the vacation time to do cruises like that.

Just booked this X cruise yesterday. Got the last Aqua Class available.