Beds On Royal Princess

Shadow205

I have seen many posts about uncomfortable beds on Princess ships. Several posters have said that they request an egg crate topper for their mattress. I came across this information today on the Princess website:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/royal_princess.pdf

"Every stateroom on the Royal and the Regal have a pillow-top mattress"

Comments from those who have cruised on these ships about the beds comfort?

Yes, pillowtop mattresses. Very comfortable. Much more comfortable than HAL's or Celebrity's in my experience. I've had pillowtop mattresses on every Princess cruise I've taken in the past two years, including the Crown, Sapphire, Diamond, Island, and Royal.

I have seen many posts about uncomfortable beds on Princess ships. Several posters have said that they request an egg crate topper for their mattress.

Shadow, check the dates on those posts. Royal had comfortable beds when launched last year and Princess started replacing mattresses on all the other ships.

• 6 months later...

We have sailed on both Regal and Royal and the beds are a big improvement over the rock hard slabs we have experienced on other Princess ships. (they're still not as nice as HAL's beds in our opinion ;))

I sailed on the Royal this past March with my mother. We were in mini-suite B414 and our beds had the hardest mattresses I have ever encountered! I travel all the time so I know these were uncomfortably hard. It felt like we were sleeping on table tops. My mother at the time had a hair-line fracture in her back (we didn't know it until she came home and got an MRI) so she could not handle sleeping on it.

I woke up the first morning to find her sleeping on the sofa. I asked for pillow-tops or egg-crates to soften the beds and all they did was put a thin mattress pad on them. I figured perhaps the ships was all out of egg crate toppers since he didn't give us them.

We are going on an April 2016 cruise on the Regal (now that her back is better) and I hope the mattresses are softer.

I'm surprised to hear that others say the Royal's mattresses were comfortable. I wonder if we had a cabin that had replacement mattresses cause these were the hardest mattresses I have ever seen - even in mattress stores! :-)

Edited by redsoxfan79

I had thought I read a post recently from someone just back from either the Royal/Regal who said the when they pulled up the sheets etc that the mattress actually had a removable type pillow top topper on it. I never paid attention on the Regal. I know it was hard as a rock though.

Edited by Colo Cruiser