Need Alaskan cruiseline/itinerary opinions, please!

lukydog

A group of us couples are wanting to go on an Alaskan cruise in 2016. We are in our 50's but young at heart and definitely like to have fun! We have all cruised before but never to Alaska. Okay, all you who have....would appreciate your opinions on best cruiseline/ship to use. What intinerary do you like? I would say we are wanting to see glaciers and wildlife. Also interested in maybe visiting Denali. Which month offers better weather (less rain).Thanks, everyone!

Edited by lukydog

A group of us couples are wanting to go on an Alaskan cruise in 2016. We are in our 50's but young at heart and definitely like to have fun! We have all cruised before but never to Alaska. Okay, all you who have....would appreciate your opinions on best cruiseline/ship to use. What intinerary do you like? I would say we are wanting to see glaciers and wildlife. Also interested in maybe visiting Denali. Which month offers better weather (less rain).Thanks, everyone!

All cruise lines that cruise Alaska more or less do the same ports. Since you want to do Denali , I would recommend Princess or Holland America.

Keep in mind that Alaska usually attracts an older demographic. If you are going to do the Denali you'll be taking a one way cruise to/from Vancouver.

I recommend a southbound , Princes and HAL both do Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP. Celebrity , NCL and sometimes Carnival do one way cruises to/from Vancouver.

Before you look at cruises decide what you'll want to in the different ports.

The check how long you'll be in a given port . Keep in mind that excursions have a tendency to be fairly pricey.

There are no one way cruises that go all the way to Seward or Whittier from Seattle.

I've been there in may , June and Sept the temps where in the mid 70's. Weather can change almost hourly. People have a tendency to dress in layers , that can be removed as required.

Edited by Kamloops50

"best" means different things to different people. You'll need to do a little research to determine which cruiseline/ship best supports your priorities.

Late May thru June is typically the driest period. But another consideration with timing is that certain activities, like fishing and bear viewing have peak periods of time and they vary by location.

To help with your research you might want to buy or borrow from your library, 'Alaska Ports of Call' by Fodor, or, 'Alaska by cruiseship' by Ann Vipond. Both books discuss cruiselines, ships, itineraries, excursions, activities, and DIY options.

Trip reports are another great resource; they are in STICKYs near the top of the page. There are many detailed reports with phoand photojournals that will help with your decision. The first line of the report usually indicates the ship, date, itinerary, and who travelled.

If I find time/money, I want to do a HAL land/cruise combo to Anchorage...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/YukonDoubleDenali

Don't forget to budget extra days to see Vancouver/Seattle. They are bigger than the Alaskan ports together.

With regards to weather.... Alaska ports is dryer before July. Vancouver/Seattle is dryer July to August. I guess late June is a happy medium....

Since you say that you want to go to Denali that means a one way cruise - all of the major lines do this.

Here is a website that might help you discover what is available in each of the ports www.cruiseportinsider.com As someone else suggested a good idea for choosing a ship is to find out how long they are in each port - and to make sure that they stay a long time in the ports you like the best.

As far as your interior touring here are two more site that will help you

www.alaskatravel.com www.travelalaska.com

Remember that Denali does not open fully until June 1.

Enjoy your planning - and your cruise

• 2 weeks later...

Been to AK on HAL and Princess. I did not care for Princess. I found the ships themselves boring. While Alaska was amazing, the cruise portion was not.

As a former train employee, I always recommend doing the landtour BEFORE your cruise. I found passengers doing the land tour post cruise vs pre seemed generally unhappier (face it- we all get a little spoiled on a cruise, am I right?) and going from free room service/dining/entertainment for a week to having to pay for each and every single meal is disappointing. I also found many people didn't read their itineraries very well, and were surprised at how long the train took, how long the bus ride was, even the bus ride from Seward to Anchorage... Alaska is a huge state, if you are considering a land tour, keep in mind you'll spend a lot of time in some type of vehicle. Don't underestimate the size of Alaska and choose wisely what you want to do. You may not get to see it all in one trip.

If you are a more adventurous person, don't limit your excursions to what the cruises offer. I did an amazing whitewater rafting trip through one of the operators that wasn't offered thru the cruise lines to passengers (although they could arrange it themselves with the company directly). While we were rafting the super full Nenana river, cheering and paddling for our lives, all the cruise passengers were huddled on some giant innertube like raft paddled by the operator from the center of it. They looked bored and cold. I had the time of my life!

I also had the opportunity to go to a sled dog homestead excursion and that was very cool. If you are looking for something else to do when you're in the Denali area, that's a good one. Never would have done it if it wasn't a benefit of my employment, but it was surprisingly fun and educational. In a fun way.

Edited by min2758

We were in your position in 2013 trying to plan a land tour and cruise for this June 2015. We are in our mid-50's. Was always told Princess and Holland America were the only way to go to Alaska. Was very confused. Called a Texan Cruise TA I had used for other cruises. He's been to Alaska and sent many clients to Alaska. He said he sends the most people on Princess, NCL, Royal Carribean and Celebrity. Knowing our likes/wants and age he said I should strongly consider Celebrity. I was concerned about giving up Glacier Bay. However, his point was especially on my first trip to Alaska Hubbard Glacier will be just as breathtaking and obviously I don't have any comparison point. Therefore, won't know what I am missing!

Ultimately, went with Celebrity. Decided to do a land tour and they spend a night in Aleyska, a resort we really wanted to stay at. They have 2 nights in Denali in the same lodge, which we felt we needed. And, the cruise's itinerary was perfect for us. It stops in an extra port than Princess, Icy Strait Point. Was told whale watching there is amazing. Doing our whale watching excursion, (privately through FISHES), at ISP frees up Juneau for other things. We are renting a car there to spend more time at the glacier and many other things around town! The port times are all awesome! Lastly, we liked the concierge category on Celebrity. Not as costly as a suite and it besides a few extra little perks, the room and balcony are bigger then a veranda cabin.

As others have mentioned, there is not one perfect Alaskan cruise. You need to pick the one that meets the most of your wants/needs. In the end, it will be what you make it!

Good luck!

All cruise lines that cruise Alaska more or less do the same ports. Since you want to do Denali , I would recommend Princess or Holland America.

Keep in mind that Alaska usually attracts an older demographic. If you are going to do the Denali you'll be taking a one way cruise to/from Vancouver.

I recommend a southbound , Princes and HAL both do Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP. Celebrity , NCL and sometimes Carnival do one way cruises to/from Vancouver.

Before you look at cruises decide what you'll want to in the different ports.

The check how long you'll be in a given port . Keep in mind that excursions have a tendency to be fairly pricey.

There are no one way cruises that go all the way to Seward or Whittier from Seattle.

I've been there in may , June and Sept the temps where in the mid 70's. Weather can change almost hourly. People have a tendency to dress in layers , that can be removed as required.

Some wrong information above. Carnival does NOT do any one way cruises, hasn't for years. HAL does NOT sail Hubbard with their one way itineraries, Only Glacier Bay as they discontinued College Fjords several years ago. Princess and northbound NCL do sail both Glacier Bay and Hubbard.

Rci is not mentioned above as another one way option.

There are 6 inside passage Alaska ports. They all don't do the same. I always suggest people find out about each, what tours are available, and rank what is important to you to see and do.

I suggest you head to your library and read up on the Alaska travel guides. Having the information will greatly help in an itinerary selection. Find out about each area and what it offers. Then rank what is important for YOU to see and do. Alaska offers plenty. :)

You need to determine if you ARE going to include Denali Park and if so, get very familiar with the touring there. One area that is frequently underestimated with some big mistakes sometimes made. It is grossly superior to reserve a good itinerary to begin with. TIME is your friend in Alaska, go for as long as you can afford. Time and tours aren't the place to skimp in my opinion.

I do not agree with the simple recommendation to "cruise last". Certainly it can be a great option, but IF the land portion is so rushed etc, then in my opinion, you have a poor plan that needs changing. It is not difficult to get an even travel itinerary- which I always do easily. Knowing all the details is essential- another plug for reading trip reports and not rushing into reservations, until you know what your entire itinerary is going to be and you have full understanding of what you are doing. :)

hoping to find a less kid friendly time. im thinking princess or celebrity,

hoping to find a less kid friendly time. im thinking princess or celebrity,

You are making wrong assumptions. Alaska and numbers of kids are no where near the numbers of the Caribbean. I find little difference between the lines with demographics similar, no matter who you sail with.

For some, the priority is Alaska. :)