Princess cabin dilemma and not sure what to do

Walt fan

I posted this question on cabin selection forum, and was given the advice I should ask around the Princess boards; so, to all of you Princess cruisers, help please; I had to move our Star Princess/Alaska cruise from May 30 to June 13 due to other family member's commitments that are cruising with us; I changed everything around early December; well, low and behold all balcony cabins for DH and I were gone by then; I had to go with a mini-suite, as the June 13th date is the only one good on our schedule; I have always cruised with RC, and this is my first time on Princess. As I understand it, all mini suites do not have any covering over the balcony area, which is not making me happy. I am looking at the Princess web site every day to see if any balcony rooms come open; no luck so far. Am I correct in understanding that the balcony rooms do have at least some covering? Or this is based on which deck you are on? So confused by Princess and this ship. Thank you for your input.

There a few completely covered minis on the Emerald deck, but because there are not many of them, and they tend to be popular, it might be too late to snag one of them.

As soon as your final payment date has passed, start closely monitoring balcony cabin availability. Some cabins usually appear because some folks will cancel at that point.

You are correct that there are no coverings on the Dolphin deck on the Grand class ships. And Dolphin is where most minis are. It really bothers some people, but many find the hype is far worse than the actual experience. For Caribe deck rooms half the balcony is uncovered, too and those are highly sought after rooms.

Another radical alternative would be to look at the aft-oceanview cabins on Aloha Deck 12. These are about five steps from doors that lead to the open Terrace Pool deck and might net you about a $700 savings per person. Heck, you could book Sanctuary for the week and still be $$ ahead!

I suggest this because when we did our Alaska trip, we found that we preferred observing from the open upper decks and really did not use our Emerald deck mini-suite balcony as much at all. It seemed that the higher up we were, the better the overview of the sights. We also had booked Sanctuary and that was a great place to warm up or spend time as the boat was moving.

Edited by msw.delafield
correct spacing format

thank you posters - I think personally I am going to feel so exposed on this type of balcony - I am going to have to keep an eagle eye for something else - I would rather have half a overhang than nothing

thank you posters - I think personally I am going to feel so exposed on this type of balcony - I am going to have to keep an eagle eye for something else - I would rather have half a overhang than nothing

It's really not bad - we've had both Emerald and Dolphin deck minis. Although we prefer the coverage of the Emerald Deck, we don't feel that anybody is interested in looking at us, especially on an Alaska itinerary. Your aren't protected from the elements the way you are on Emerald Deck, but the Caribe Deck balconies only provide marginally more protection, in my opinion.

The inside of the mini compared a balcony is fabulous. You have proper seating area with a loveseat instead of just a chair the way you'd have in balcony cabin. So on a stormy day, you could sit inside in comfort and take in the sights quite nicely, without any overhang to obscure your view.

Have a great cruise!

We had an uncovered Dolphin deck mini for 28 days on the Crown and it didn't bother us a bit. We actually found a couple of advantages - found we had great conversations with other passengers above and beside us when in or entering/leaving ports, were able to see things happening on the pier right next to the ship that others above us couldn't see, plenty of light in our cabin (some can be quite dark when the balcony is totally covered). We're a little (OK, a LOT) past the stage of doing anything on our balcony that we wouldn't want anyone else to see, so that wasn't an issue for us. We don't spend extended periods sitting out on the balcony, so the sun (assuming you're on the sunny side of the ship) wasn't a problem for us. For the price, we'd do it again without hesitation.

We were on the Dolphin for our first Alaska trip and it rained so we couldn't use it through the pass for the most part. That said with the mini's seating area we could sit at the door inside and see plenty. The other 2 trips were in covered cabins Emerald mini and this past summer a balcony cabin. We were on the balcony for hours even in those awful chairs. I did miss the mini though for the cabin space, lesson learned.

I posted this question on cabin selection forum, and was given the advice I should ask around the Princess boards; so, to all of you Princess cruisers, help please; I had to move our Star Princess/Alaska cruise from May 30 to June 13 due to other family member's commitments that are cruising with us; I changed everything around early December; well, low and behold all balcony cabins for DH and I were gone by then; I had to go with a mini-suite, as the June 13th date is the only one good on our schedule; I have always cruised with RC, and this is my first time on Princess. As I understand it, all mini suites do not have any covering over the balcony area, which is not making me happy. I am looking at the Princess web site every day to see if any balcony rooms come open; no luck so far. Am I correct in understanding that the balcony rooms do have at least some covering? Or this is based on which deck you are on? So confused by Princess and this ship. Thank you for your input.

Balcony guarantee is available now. Go get it!

Guys and gals - you would know when I didn't have a minute to spare this morning, by the time I looked at 2:11 p.m. CST to be precise, both balcony and mini-suites ARE ALL SOLD OUT; at least I have a place to rest my head, and I am, sad to say, spoiled and cannot have a balcony, even one without a covering; I cannot believe both levels are all sold out; what gives on this particular cruise? Anyone have a guess?

Thank you for the encouraging words; I can at least find some of the good in an uncovered balcony; DH, on the other hand, will find everything he can to complain; oh well, I am not that concerned; I will keep an eye out though, morning, afternoon and evening.

Guys and gals - you would know when I didn't have a minute to spare this morning, by the time I looked at 2:11 p.m. CST to be precise, both balcony and mini-suites ARE ALL SOLD OUT; at least I have a place to rest my head, and I am, sad to say, spoiled and cannot have a balcony, even one without a covering; I cannot believe both levels are all sold out; what gives on this particular cruise? Anyone have a guess?

Thank you for the encouraging words; I can at least find some of the good in an uncovered balcony; DH, on the other hand, will find everything he can to complain; oh well, I am not that concerned; I will keep an eye out though, morning, afternoon and evening.

You have to keep checking. Don't you have a TA? That could be his/her job, besides saving you money.

I think I may have made a mistake; but, I am hoping it will end up okay in the long run; I called my TA this afternoon who called Princess; they told my TA yes, they could guarantee a balcony, Category BA, booking, but they would not release the cabin location/number until the day of sailing; has anyone gambled and done this? My TA went ahead and changed it, she thought it was a good deal and it moved my cost down $200; so, I have balcony, just don't know where! Yikes! I cannot stand feeling this unsettled; but, I have an extra $200 to spend. Please tell me if you think I made a mistake.

I think I may have made a mistake; but, I am hoping it will end up okay in the long run; I called my TA this afternoon who called Princess; they told my TA yes, they could guarantee a balcony, Category BA, booking, but they would not release the cabin location/number until the day of sailing; has anyone gambled and done this? My TA went ahead and changed it, she thought it was a good deal and it moved my cost down $200; so, I have balcony, just don't know where! Yikes! I cannot stand feeling this unsettled; but, I have an extra $200 to spend. Please tell me if you think I made a mistake.

Its not a gamble! You are gauranteed a cabin in the cat BA.

And its not the day of sailing, it will be assigned at some point up to a day or 2 before sailing. On sailing day everything is already set by the time you reach the pier.

Sounds like your TA does not book very many cruises.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

All the time. BA could get you Caribe deck; largest balcony with half covered and half uncovered. Best of both worlds. You did good.