Aboard the Spirit, FLL to LA

Wellseasoned

We are happily aboard the Spirit after escaping the midwest just before a big snow. The boarding process in Fort Lauderdale was the slowest we've ever had, despite arriving before noon, because this was handled by the port rather than by Silversea, so it was clumsy rather than efficient. But then all was well. The checking in process was a breeze and our suite was ready. Happily, all of our requests for the suite, including the Macallan and white chocolate grappa and the Amex perks were present. And there was cold Heidsieck Monopole champagne and a fruit bowl. Great start!

We had a pleasant sailaway and a nice first night dinner in La Terrazza (though the pappardelle with duck ragout was not on the menu).

Calm seas, warm and sunny on the first sea day. Many people baking on the pool deck. (As a melanoma survivor, I don't do that, and it makes me cringe.) Afternoon trivia was fun with a nice team including an old friend, Hyperion Knight, who is back aboard to again entertain with his great piano virtuosity. We tied for first. Our butler, Evelyn, is very good and experienced. She brought nice canapes which surprisingly included some farmed caviar on mini blinis which actually tasted pretty good. Alas, I still miss that free real oscetra of years ago. It was the first of three formal nights, and the food in the MDR was excellent. Typical formal fare of lobster, angus beef Wellington, etc., but very well prepared. The exec chef is Edgar van der Aar, who is always very good.

The Captain is Zanello, who is young and is half Italian and half Australian, which has given his speech a very interesting accent. Paolo Percivale is the HD, Antonio Mendes is the restaurant head, Don Fluke is CD, and Donato runs Terrazza. Many of the crew are also very familiar to us. The crew in general seem happy and friendly and are interacting quite well with each other. I am told that there are about 400 passengers aboard, about 200 Venetian. We've seen only a few we've met on previous cruises. Age group seems pretty typical. There are three lecturers, all new to us. One lectures on great comedians, the other two on history and politics of the area and destinations. There is also a man who talks and advises on shopping, especially jewelry, and is focusing on emeralds as we approach Cartagena.

Today is the second sea day, still nice, seas a little more active, but nothing bad. Enough rambling for now. Must go to a lecture. Dinner in Le Champagne tonight!

Enjoyed your comments very much. We join the Spirit on the 22nd for the LA to LA trip. If I am not being too pushy, should you run into Paolo would you wish him a wonderful new year from Fred and Van. By the way one of SS best bar tenders is Frederick at Panorama. Thanks WS.

Enjoyed your comments very much. We join the Spirit on the 22nd for the LA to LA trip. If I am not being too pushy, should you run into Paolo would you wish him a wonderful new year from Fred and Van. By the way one of SS best bar tenders is Frederick at Panorama. Thanks WS.

See you in LA Fred and Van. Unfortunately Paolo gets off in LA.

The food in Le Champagne two nights ago was excellent as always. We had booked it at mid afternoon, only a few hours notice, no problem. The lobster salad, gold leaf risotto, lobster thermidor, and grand marnier souffle were again superb. We enjoyed this with a Far Niente chard from the premium list, a wine which we have always liked. Only problem was two people with very loud, strident voices which were disturbing to the rest of he room. They finished first, and as soon as they left, a group near us broke out in applause! Not nice, but very funny.

Yesterday we docked in Cartagena, Colombia in early afternoon, after a somewhat rough night at sea, though not terrible. Still sunny and warm. We did an afternoon tour emphasizing history and walking through the old downtown and driving to the more modern Boca Grande section. Very interesting, and lots of growth and change since we were last there 11 years ago. The last stop was, of course, to an upscale shopping center with fine emeralds, coffees, etc. ( Last time we spent too much time in the emerald store, and the tour bus left without us, but a nice young cabbie gave us his own tour back to the ship. This time we stuck to coffee.) Another interesting tour sight was the Palace of the Inquisition, which displays all sorts of awful torture devices used by the Inquisitors.

Lovely dinner with new friends at Hot Rocks last night. That reservation was made with about 45 minutes notice after the tour, but no problem, they had space. Fine filet and prawns. But there were no anchovies for the caesar salad, and there have been no anchovies in the buffet since we boarded! I offered to go out and buy a can, but they said that they should have some soon. Nice, peaceful, calm overnight in Cartagena.

This morning we did another ship's tour including a very nice carriage ride through the old town, some repeats from yesterday, and some new sights. Excellent guide again. Warm and sunny. After a nice sailaway, we had a pool deck lunch , and here I am. The sea is calmer. Everybody still seems happy. La Terrazza has the papardelle with duck ragout back on the menu, and we will be there tonight.

Tomorrow morning we enter the Panama Canal, first locks at about 6:30 to 7:00 A.M. It should take about 11 to 12 hours. We have been through it twice, but this will be our first in the north to south direction. Should be fun!

The requested greetings to crew are being given.

Rrgaudet, regarding your question about typical age: It is only my impression, but most seem to be in the 55 to 75 range. But there are also those in the 40's and 80's and a few in the 30's and maybe 90's. Since the holiday period is over for most, there are no children, and younger people with families would be unlikely. Sorry I can't be precise, but it just seems "typical" after a lot of Silversea cruises. And ages really don't matter in terms of passenger interaction. Everybody seems to get along just fine.

I'll try to answer specific questions as best I can.

Mr. Spectre, Hyperion is indeed helpful at trivia, but we won yesterday with no music questions at all. He is performing tonight and tomorrow afternoon, then leaves us Tuesday in Costa Rica to return to New York. He is just a great performer and person!

Duct tape, hope you have a great Shadow voyage, and hope you have as lovely a day for the Panama Canal as we are having today. Also glad that the boutique reconstruction noise is not bothering you. But I really feel sorry for those just above the boutique, especially the starboard 630's, particularly 639 based on our experience on the Whisper in September. Good luck to all!

But there were no anchovies for the caesar salad, and there have been no anchovies in the buffet since we boarded! I offered to go out and buy a can, but they said that they should have some soon.

You might ask them to define soon. The anchovy allocation has gone to the Discoverer, where I passed them swimming between the salad bowl and caesar dressing this afternoon. Fresh raspberries for the first five days. A wide selection of fruits and greens. Red, ripe tomatoes. Cooked asparagus on the breakfast buffet every morning. Overall, best food I have had on a SS ship with stunning variety during breakfast and lunch.

Also glad that the boutique reconstruction noise is not bothering you. But I really feel sorry for those just above the boutique, especially the starboard 630's, particularly 639 based on our experience on the Whisper in September. Good luck to all!

The Spirit's boutique was "re-constructed" before the crossing. A waste of time and money! Selection was extremely limited and prices were sky high. I was really needing some men's shorts but they only had M & L and priced at $250!

Spinnaker2, we are not doing the Tikal trip in Guatemala. The tour people say the site is very interesting, and the excursion did sell out. They spend about three hours at the site. The other five hours of the eight hour excursion is largely getting there and back. There is a bus ride to the small airport, then a flight on a small 10 or 15 person plane, then more ground transportation, same going back. I used to pilot such planes, but my wife does not like them and did not enjoy similar flying to the Nazca lines a few years ago. We'd like to see the Mayan sites from the Atlantic side. So, I can't help you much.

Our Panama Canal transit was very nice, beautiful weather. Yesterday in Puntarenas, Costa Rica was lovely, with a long excursion to a rainforest. The guide was excellent, and the highlight was an hour-long exploration by aerial tram. We had a fine dinner in STARS. This tapas-like dining is something you either like or don't, and we do. They change the menu every three days. We are now at sea, headed for Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, where we will do an excursion to La Antigua, the original colonial capital. Weather is again clear and warm. Still no anchovies.

Pianist friend Hyperion Knight left yesterday. But those of you on the upcoming Cloud Amazon cruise will have the pleasure of getting to know him and his talents!

Old City, Cartagena, Colombia

OldCityCartagenaColombia.jpg

Gatun Locks, Panama Canal

GatunlocksPanamaCanal-1.jpg

Museum designed by Frank Gehry at Panama City

MuseumbyFrankGehryPanamaCity.jpg

First sunset in Pacific

FirstPacificSunset.jpg