RCI or Carnival

OK

Here's the situation.

We are just starting to cruise again after a 5 year break, due to health issues. So are not totally sure if what we have experienced in the past will reflect what we find now. So thought I'd ask here.

Just got back [about 3 weeks ago but seems a lot longer] from Celebrity Century and it was pretty much perfect, love Princess especially the little sisters. Totally underwhelmed on P&O. We are certainly not keen on the mega liners.

Now want to book something for Easter for pretty much same $ we can get Carnival for 11 nights [legend I think] or Royal Caribbean for 7 nights [Radiance if I recall right].

We are not party animals by any stretch and are more likely to be found on the balcony reading or just being together, I will probably spend at least one day in my cabin on the bed due to a back problem. In fact on some cruises haven't done a single show.

Most people would say we are pretty traditional, if it's relevant herself is by preference at least vegetarian, preferring vegan, me I love meat and seafood.

We aren't big on crowds.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments.

Based on what you've said, I think you would prefer RCI, Radiance is a lovely ship, you'd also like Rhapsody. Voyager is a bigger RCI ship that you may not enjoy as much. Carnival's Legend and Spirit don't seem to absorb the people as well, they are fun, but a lot more children, and craziness :-)

Hi Gut.

I would definitely recommend RCI, especially Radiance. Just got back from the Christmas and NY cruise. We had another fabulous cruise. Our favourite is Rhapsody, we have 4 booked in the next 3 months. :)

We also avoided the larger ships, until Voyager Singapore to Sydney in November. We were all absolutely surprised at how much we enjoyed it. We are now booked on Explorer, when she gets here. There are many places that are quiet and peaceful.

Doesn't matter if you are party animals or not, there is plenty to do, or not do depending on your interests. We haven't been to a show for years, seen most of them, not really our thing.

There are always vegetarian selections, and they will cater to specific requirements. You only have to ask.

If you have any specific queries, please ask.

We did not like Carnival Spirit.

Cheers

Edited by Aussie FF

My two cruises so far have been on Legend of the Seas and Carnival Spirit. My husband is vegetarian, so I keep an eye out for vegetarian considerations.

We actually found that the Windjammer Cafe was better than the MDR because they were doing trays of tofu dishes with sweet and sour sauce etc. MDR would always have veto options, but the protein level was either a bit low, or relying on cheese. OK for one night but not for ten nights.

Carnival Spirit seemed a bit more fatty in their Lido choices (but maybe I was just making poor choices on that cruise).

I didn't find either had appealing after dinner shows. However, the covers band on Carnival Spirit was excellent.

Either should be good, but perhaps the longer cruise for the same money would be good? What about the itineraries?

Based on what you've said, I think you would prefer RCI, Radiance is a lovely ship, you'd also like Rhapsody. Voyager is a bigger RCI ship that you may not enjoy as much. Carnival's Legend and Spirit don't seem to absorb the people as well, they are fun, but a lot more children, and craziness :-)

Hi Gut.

I would definitely recommend RCI, especially Radiance. Just got back from the Christmas and NY cruise. We had another fabulous cruise.

We also avoided the larger ships, until Voyager Singapore to Sydney in November. We were all absolutely surprised at how much we enjoyed it. We are now booked on Explorer, when she gets here. There are many places that are quiet and peaceful.

Doesn't matter if you are party animals or not, there is plenty to do, or not do depending on your interests. We haven't been to a show for years, seen most of them, not really our thing.

There are always vegetarian selections, and they will cater to specific requirements. You only have to ask.

If you have any specific queries, please ask.

We did not like Carnival Spirit.

Cheers

Thank you both.

To be honest we recalled Carnival as being pretty similar to P&O here in Aus with RCI placed somewhere between them and say Celebrity/Princess (who found more alike than different)

I might add my darling loves her specialty hot drinks and health drinks, she loved Cova and Aqua Spa Cafe on Century As long as I can get a soft drink card I'm ok.

I maybe should say perhaps a big reason we love cruising is simply us time, where we get to spend time just us. We normally do traditional late dining with a table for 2.

My two cruises so far have been on Legend of the Seas and Carnival Spirit. My husband is vegetarian, so I keep an eye out for vegetarian considerations.

We actually found that the Windjammer Cafe was better than the MDR because they were doing trays of tofu dishes with sweet and sour sauce etc. MDR would always have veto options, but the protein level was either a bit low, or relying on cheese. OK for one night but not for ten nights.

Carnival Spirit seemed a bit more fatty in their Lido choices (but maybe I was just making poor choices on that cruise).

I didn't find either had appealing after dinner shows. However, the covers band on Carnival Spirit was excellent.

Either should be good, but perhaps the longer cruise for the same money would be good? What about the itineraries?

Thanks for that, Fatty food is a bit of a prob as the bride has pancreatitis.

Both are to the islands though one might be Tas (watching about 4 at the moment) the longer one has a SLIGHTLY more attractive itinerary as we have a friend on Santo, but won't change whatever decision we make unless it's a draw.

Of course 4 more nights for same $$ is attractive.

Edited by GUT2407

If you choose Royal you can't go past Radiance, she is a classy ship & full of glass where other ships have walls with smaller windows. You are surrounded by views of the sea & the ship is light & airy in most places because of it. I spent 34 days on her in 2013 & never felt like I wanted to change ships.

I think if you like Celebrity that Carnival could be too much of a departure from your comfort zone.

Cruise lines get a general reputation for a reason, although not always applicable to every ship & every cruise, Carnival in general has that more budget & bogan reputation.;)

• 3 weeks later...

After our most recent cruise which was a 1st time with RC on Rhapsody I'd personally warn you to steer clear of that ship. In our case we won't touch RC ever again. Service by bar staff was below average, a very 'take it or leave it' attitude. Many regular Rhapsody cruisers we spoke to were very disappointed in changes made , some amazingly were feeling depressed over it.

We love Princess & never had any problems, can't say the same with RC as I'm now experiencing 1st hand what it's like to deal with their office overseas. That's a novel in itself.

Carnival seems to be a family + kids cruise so imagine it's like organised chaos. People we know that have been on the Spirit loved it for that reason.

Edited by Wander818
spelling

After our most recent cruise which was a 1st time with RC on Rhapsody I'd personally warn you to steer clear of that ship. In our case we won't touch RC ever again. Service by bar staff was below average, a very 'take it or leave it' attitude. Many regular Rhapsody cruisers we spoke to were very disappointed in changes made , some amazingly were feeling depressed over it.

We love Princess & never had any problems, can't say the same with RC as I'm now experiencing 1st hand what it's like to deal with their office overseas. That's a novel in itself.

Carnival seems to be a family + kids cruise so imagine it's like organised chaos. People we know that have been on the Spirit loved it for that reason.

Bit unfair to condemn an entire cruise line over what seem to be minor staff issues on a single ship, which is leaving our shores for good in May in any case. Why not give Radiance a try, i am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Rhapsody has been The favourite cruise ship for many Australians so would be interested to know more specifically of the problems - on a new thread.

We had some friends recently go on Carnival Legend and they loved it. They were a bunch of late 30's early 40's ladies enjoying a girl's trip. So the company was probably the most important part for them.

Radiance is a beautiful ship, but from our experience a year ago and recent comments, it is starting to get a little worn and must be not long from a refurb, but then Celebrity Century was about to be handed over, and was said to be tired also, and you sound like you were happy with that.

One thing I would look at is the cabin size and layout if you are looking at spending a bit of time in the cabin. I like to spend a bit of time in the cabin also for my own health reasons, and I personally like a sofa near the window, as well as a nice sit out on the balcony.

Where are the cabins located that you may be able to book? As it is actually getting close now I would think you may be looking at cabins more toward the forward and aft. Is it your preference to be mid ship?

If you have some trips in mind, you could post the details here and people could give you a few tips or opinions on your selections maybe. The decision is yours in the end, but there is a pretty nifty brains trust around here ( in my opinion ) ;)

Edited by goodycruising

I haven't cruised either lines as yet (am trying RCI in a few weeks time) but going off what most people on these boards say and knowing you (just a little form that cruise together) RCI will suit you better of the two.

Perhaps give P&O another try, we tried them last year after a 13 year break and were pleasantly surprised at the food and service standards (much better), the only issue for me with P&O is the ships tend to be outdated and tired.

Edited by MicCanberra

Just got back [about 3 weeks ago but seems a lot longer] from Celebrity Century and it was pretty much perfect, love Princess especially the little sisters. Totally underwhelmed on P&O. We are certainly not keen on the mega liners.

I suspect this para is the key..

What I loved about Century was it was more like the old world of cruising, before they 'packed em in.'

And you then allude to that by not liking the mega liners.

The Princess ships haven't had refurbs to do that either, and I quite like them.

Unfortunately the local RCL ships (Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager, Explorer) have had that, and I haven't tried Carnival but think they are also from that mould, based on reports I've heard.

So unfortunately I can't really give a recommendation based on what your prefs suggest; I wouldn't consider either RCL or Carnival a good equivalent to the Century experience. (Actually, I consider the current Century experience the best of any current Celebrity ship.)

I suspect this para is the key..

What I loved about Century was it was more like the old world of cruising, before they 'packed em in.'

And you then allude to that by not liking the mega liners.

The Princess ships haven't had refurbs to do that either, and I quite like them.

Unfortunately the local RCL ships (Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager, Explorer) have had that, and I haven't tried Carnival but think they are also from that mould, based on reports I've heard.

So unfortunately I can't really give a recommendation based on what your prefs suggest; I wouldn't consider either RCL or Carnival a good equivalent to the Century experience. (Actually, I consider the current Century experience the best of any current Celebrity ship.)

Thanks for that, I have to say I found Century right to our liking, we were a bit worried when we booked it because we thought even the 1800 was too big but she never seemed crowded. Unfortunately at the time we want to do this one [and it's not really looking good at the moment] options are few.

One thing I am grateful for is that our first couple of cruises were spot on for us, so now even if we have one that's less than perfect (ie P&O our 3rd) we know that on the "right" ship we'll be fine. I suspect if out first had been on P&O it may have been our last.

I haven't cruised either lines as yet (am trying RCI in a few weeks time) but going off what most people on these boards say and knowing you (just a little form that cruise together) RCI will suit you better of the two.

Perhaps give P&O another try, we tried them last year after a 13 year break and were pleasantly surprised at the food and service standards (much better), the only issue for me with P&O is the ships tend to be outdated and tired.

Thanks Mic, outdated and tired probably suits me [cause I am] look forward to hearing how you are Rosie enjoy Royal.

We had some friends recently go on Carnival Legend and they loved it. They were a bunch of late 30's early 40's ladies enjoying a girl's trip. So the company was probably the most important part for them.

Radiance is a beautiful ship, but from our experience a year ago and recent comments, it is starting to get a little worn and must be not long from a refurb, but then Celebrity Century was about to be handed over, and was said to be tired also, and you sound like you were happy with that.

One thing I would look at is the cabin size and layout if you are looking at spending a bit of time in the cabin. I like to spend a bit of time in the cabin also for my own health reasons, and I personally like a sofa near the window, as well as a nice sit out on the balcony.

Where are the cabins located that you may be able to book? As it is actually getting close now I would think you may be looking at cabins more toward the forward and aft. Is it your preference to be mid ship?

If you have some trips in mind, you could post the details here and people could give you a few tips or opinions on your selections maybe. The decision is yours in the end, but there is a pretty nifty brains trust around here ( in my opinion ) ;)

A mid ship is a "must have" unfortunately my darling has some neurological probs and can only spend a couple of hours too far forward or aft without getting migraines.

Unfortunately due to some family expenses, plus our daughters next graduation clashing with the timing, it is probably not going to happen at Easter.

But do appreciate everyone's feedback I suspect it will make our choices a bit easier, also it confirms what I was sorta thinking already.

Unfortunately due to some family expenses, plus our daughters next graduation clashing with the timing, it is probably not going to happen at Easter.

But do appreciate everyone's feedback I suspect it will make our choices a bit easier, also it confirms what I was sorta thinking already.

Nevermind, research always helps in giving you the feeling of getting close to the next cruise.:D

Nevermind, research always helps in giving you the feeling of getting close to the next cruise.:D

Yep and the more lines/ships I can find that "fit" the more options open to us:D.

And more options = more cruises:D.

And when herself retires no limitations on when we can cruise:)

Yep and the more lines/ships I can find that "fit" the more options open to us:D.

And more options = more cruises:D.

And when herself retires no limitations on when we can cruise:)

Yes, after this RCI sampler cruise, I then want to try a Carnival, that may need to wait for 2016 though.:D

With your changed plans maybe you could look at the Solstice beautiful ship ,just got of the Radiance never again , never been on Carnival but you would miss out on Graham checking you in. What ever you decide enjoy

With your changed plans maybe you could look at the Solstice beautiful ship ,just got of the Radiance never again , never been on Carnival but you would miss out on Graham checking you in. What ever you decide enjoy

That is on our list, unfortunately not many that fir out timings [and have to be Syd-Syd].

I've only had the pleasure of gbenjo the once, but the Bride is still telling people about the service we got:D.

Maybe I should complain about him to RCI :eek: so he gets the sack and has to go to work for Princess who we seem to keep going back to.

Good points. The Solstice is lovely, doesn't feel overcrowded and you do get gbenjo to check you in. Just one possible issue is she heads back to Hawaii in April.:D