Sim card for Cell Phones

Never heard of them, and if you can't get a response when you are looking to buy, why would you bother when there are plenty more reliable telcos available? Just get a sim direct for Telstra or Optus. Go to a Supermarket, Post Office or convenience store or probably even the airport when you arrive and get a sim.

Watch out for silly claims by other companies. There are only towers owned by Telstra (widest coverage), Optus (getting pretty close in coverage), and Vodaphone (which has a terrible reputation). Other phone companies buy their bandwith and use their towers. If the sim you look at doesn't say which network they are wholesaling through, why bother for your short holiday.

Check out their web pages for their prepaid offers. Optus has a good prepaid cap-per-day offer, and Telstra may suit you better with some of the different add-on packs you can purchase prepaid. They have some offers that give you free calls and texts after 6pm.

Check out the bands available on your phone, as Telstra has a 850 MHz 3g band that works well in country areas, but not all US handsets have that standard. Be careful not to confuse 2g with 3g bands.

We found with our Telstra phone that we often got 4g out at sea along the Aus east coast. I would often get in the lifts on Radiance (which look out to the sea) and see people looking at their Optus or Vodaphone with sad faces.

Where are you actually looking to travel?

Edited by goodycruising

The cheapest I know- and use - is Virgin Simple. $19.00 pre paid for 90 days, 100mb data, 15c min for calls to other networks, (free virgin to virgin.) National text 15c up to 160 characters, same for international text, and 15c minute international calls. It works well - it is on the Optus Network.

I've printed it like that in case the link doesn't open.

Click the little cross at the side of plan rates - and it tells you there everything you get - as it doesn't all show up on the top line.

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/prepaid-mobile-phones-plans/compare?i_cid=PP_prepaid_3#ctl00_PageContent_MainAreaRenderer_BlocksPartitionedByIsContainer_ctl01_Blocks_ctl00_ctl00_RowsControlCollection_BlocksPartitionedByIsRow_ctl00_Blocks_ctl01_ctl00_Tab2

Edited by dizzy1948

I'd stick with one of the big three [i include Virgin so maybe should say big 4 but they just onsell optus]

As you are cruising and thus likely to be on the coast Vodafone is still fine, if you are traveling inland at all as part of your stay stick with Telstra [but they are dearest]

I'd stick with one of the big three [i include Virgin so maybe should say big 4 but they just onsell optus]

As you are cruising and thus likely to be on the coast Vodafone is still fine, if you are traveling inland at all as part of your stay stick with Telstra [but they are dearest]

Did you mean Virgin? :D If you are going to outer whoop whoop....you would need Telstra - everybody does - most expensive. Virigin will get you through your holidays - I've travelled to most of the major cities and surrounds with my little $19.00 simple plan :p

Edited by dizzy1948

Did you mean Virgin? :D If you are going to outer whoop whoop....you would need Telstra - everybody does - most expensive. Virigin will get you through your holidays - I've travelled to all the major cities and surrounds with my little $19.00 simple plan :p

No I was saying that Virgin really = Optus but with a better price and if you are within about 50-100 kms of the major centres they are all OK even Vodafone [who sometimes get a bad wrap].

OP needs to be aware that no matter who they go with there may be spots that they have no reception. I live near Newcastle and even on the highways there are black spots.

Been very happy with Vodafone domestically. But if you're cruising and want reception out to sea, Telstra is best. For only a month, probably worth the extra.

I've been with Vodafone for ever and a day, my daughter is with Telstra when we've cruised together we loose, and gain, reception about the same place.

Though she may have got reception back more places close to the coast we have never really checked that.

Telstra does have a prepaid offer (simplicity) that is $20 for a month and 15c per minute, and 15c per text. They USED to be much more expensive but have come down with more competition. Check out each provider's website anyhow.

Thanks I wasn't aware of that one. So that's about 2 hours of calls if they are all n 1 min lots that's not bad.

Telstra does have a prepaid offer (simplicity) that is $20 for a month and 15c per minute, and 15c per text. They USED to be much more expensive but have come down with more competition. Check out each provider's website anyhow.

We'll all be experts at this shortly :D For short term - the OP probably should check the Virigin & Telstra - neither one will not break the bank - and they can ring "home" for 15c a minute..............what's not to like? You can't do that with Vodafone though - they charge $3.40 per minute to the USA and it's more expensive to start up. :(

I've been with Vodafone for ever and a day, my daughter is with Telstra when we've cruised together we loose, and gain, reception about the same place.

Though she may have got reception back more places close to the coast we have never really checked that.

Just my experiences with both. For example, I've been on islands off the coast where Vodafone reception is very hard to reach. Whereas Telstra coverage is much more extensive.

Similarly onboard been using Telstra and have others asking how I'm getting signal and then ask them and they're with Optus or Vodafone.

thanks to everyone for input... do NOT need any cell coverage for cruising or NZ

Just while on shore in Sydney area and maybe up in Carnes area.

Meeting a few Viet Nam vets and renting a Harley out of Sydney for a two day ride - to where, not sure yet, I will be following a friend because I have No experience riding on the left side of the road - Really looking forward to seeing what I can on a Full day ride out of Sydney then return.

Only need cell service IF I need to stay in touch OR become that US person that gets Lost, LOL..

just did a search for Virgin and found one at a 22 min walk from my Hotel in the 'Rocks' Sydney - they open at 10am today, I will call them and make sure they are still in business and make sure I can just bring my UNLOCKED Iphone 4 into the store and get what I need..

I will post what I am told

Just got off the phone with Virgin Mobile in Sydney. This store is a short walk from my Hotel and they are still open (I have learned to call, lol) Talked to a nice guy and with the help of this post and this shop, I should be set to go once I arrive.

Virgin Mobile Sydney

Address247 Pitt Street

Shop G3

Sydney Nsw 2000

Just got off the phone with Virgin Mobile in Sydney. This store is a short walk from my Hotel and they are still open (I have learned to call, lol) Talked to a nice guy and with the help of this post and this shop, I should be set to go once I arrive.

Virgin Mobile Sydney

Address247 Pitt Street

Shop G3

Sydney Nsw 2000

Great stuff.........enjoy your trip - and hope you have a wonderful time.

Quick edit: enjoy your Thunder Down Under :D:p

Edited by dizzy1948