Security measures at OPT?

Sadly in light of the ongoing events of violence around the world & as we all know here in Australia, I started thinking about security when cruising from the OPT with the ship sitting between 2 symbols of Sydney.

Obviously the ships X Ray all baggage which helps with people bringing dangerous things on board, but what about prior to boarding?

Is it possible for someone not cruising to enter the OPT building?

At least with the refurb there will not be large numbers of people lined up along the quay to board, creating less of an attractive 'crowd' target.

Although there is no security really when dropping people off at the OPT, they stop you at the boom gate & you say I'm dropping of cruise passengers & they waive you through with no request to see proof anyone is cruising.

It's sad to me that the world we now live in has brought my mind to these questions, but when you think of it a cruise ship could be seen to some jihadists as a floating symbol of western decadence full of exposed flesh & free flowing alcohol.:(

Maybe Gbenjo can confirm if the new OPT has any enhanced security measures? No need to reveal exactly what they are of course.;)

I won't change my lifestyle regardless, but it's something that crosses my mind now when it didn't a few years ago.

Sadly in light of the ongoing events of violence around the world & as we all know here in Australia, I started thinking about security when cruising from the OPT with the ship sitting between 2 symbols of Sydney.

Obviously the ships X Ray all baggage which helps with people bringing dangerous things on board, but what about prior to boarding?

Is it possible for someone not cruising to enter the OPT building?

At least with the refurb there will not be large numbers of people lined up along the quay to board, creating less of an attractive 'crowd' target.

Although there is no security really when dropping people off at the OPT, they stop you at the boom gate & you say I'm dropping of cruise passengers & they waive you through with no request to see proof anyone is cruising.

It's sad to me that the world we now live in has brought my mind to these questions, but when you think of it a cruise ship could be seen to some jihadists as a floating symbol of western decadence full of exposed flesh & free flowing alcohol.:(

Maybe Gbenjo can confirm if the new OPT has any enhanced security measures? No need to reveal exactly what they are of course.;)

I won't change my lifestyle regardless, but it's something that crosses my mind now when it didn't a few years ago.

The OPT has always had a rule that no one other than passengers ( with documentation) or legitimate visitors eg contractors or service people etc can enter the actual building and there are a number of security points throughout the terminal and it would be extremely difficultv for any unauthorised person to get anywhere near the ship. I guess outside the terminal is like any other part of Sydney but there are still security measures in place. I know the security personnel have strict guidelines to follow and it is not unusual for someone like myself for instance , who is known to most if not all the security people, to be stopped and checked for ID and security pass several times a day. I have seen Anne Sherry,the boss of Carnival Cruises , stopped and checked, no one is exempt.

Good to hear they are on the ball at the OPT!

For me I only come to Sydney for cruises basically, & living in the country we are probably as close to zero risk as you could get. Not many people here or landmarks to make an impact on compared to the city, so I probably consider a city visit a much more elevated risk for me than those that live in suburbia.

I used to work at Wynyard & other city locations some years ago & always felt safe, but they were different times back then.

Reality is that if someone really wanted to do something so disgusting (like what happens overseas in crowded markets) they could even with the security measures in place. I have faith that Australia hasn't gone down that road yet and hopefully never will.

Caveat - except for perhaps the Hilton bombing 40 years ago which had a political rather than religious motivation.:(

Reality is that if someone really wanted to do something so disgusting (like what happens overseas in crowded markets) they could even with the security measures in place. I have faith that Australia hasn't gone down that road yet and hopefully never will.

Caveat - except for perhaps the Hilton bombing 40 years ago which had a political rather than religious motivation.:(

I'm more worried about guns than bombs, I'm not sure I'd rate it as terrorist or not but take Martin Place to Port Arthur level (+) = scary.

Lets hope you are right, but the feel of analysts worldwide is that things will get a lot worse before they get better.

Australian police have already foiled multiple terrorist plots as had the French, but now & again one gets by the security net.

At least we have the Egyptian president speaking out for religious reformation & confronting that the problem is in the ideology.

(http://youtu.be/DEhNarfrlec)

A ground breaking & life threatening speech for him that went mostly ignored by western news media. Pity the rest of the Western worlds rulers pretty much stick their heads in the sand & pretend this is unrelated to ideology.:rolleyes: PC is killing us.

But reformation is something that takes decades at the very least to achieve, so it's a long road ahead. :(

Fingers crossed Australia stays out of the headlines for the most of it.:)

Lets hope you are right, but the feel of analysts worldwide is that things will get a lot worse before they get better.

Australian police have already foiled multiple terrorist plots as had the French, but now & again one gets by the security net.

At least we have the Egyptian president speaking out for religious reformation & confronting that the problem is in the ideology.

(http://youtu.be/DEhNarfrlec)

A ground breaking & life threatening speech for him that went mostly ignored by western news media. Pity the rest of the Western worlds rulers pretty much stick their heads in the sand & pretend this is unrelated to ideology.:rolleyes: PC is killing us.

But reformation is something that takes decades at the very least to achieve, so it's a long road ahead. :(

Fingers crossed Australia stays out of the headlines for the most of it.:)

Yep PC, can't say here what the letters stand for I'll get sent to the naughty room.

While it is a worry and can happen at any time anywhere, I am not losing sleep over it. All I can do is be vigilant and try and avoid situations which may become dangerous otherwise if it happens, it happens.

Agree 100% - there is a bigger chance of being struck down and killed by a taxi during the chaotic crowded drop off stage than there is you being affected by terrorism in your entire life. (and that is coming from me who was in no less than 2 separate IRA bombings in the late 80s - but I certainly dont let that run my life).

Living life filled with paranoia means you are not living life at all. Hmmmm Whats the great saying from the movie Strictly Ballroom ? "A life lived in fear is a life half lived".

Agree 100% - there is a bigger chance of being struck down and killed by a taxi during the chaotic crowded drop off stage than there is you being affected by terrorism in your entire life. (and that is coming from me who was in no less than 2 separate IRA bombings in the late 80s - but I certainly dont let that run my life).

Living life filled with paranoia means you are not living life at all. Hmmmm Whats the great saying from the movie Strictly Ballroom ? "A life lived in fear is a life half lived".

Nicely put.:D

We have a friend that refuses to live in fear. He carries it in a different direction in that he will not lock his house doors or car. I recently went around to pick something up for him, knowing he had this no locking rule, and the front and back door were wide open! Even though I knew nobody was home, because it was so open I felt like someone must be there! It was a bit spooky, but I do admire his resolve.

I still lock my doors at home, but it does get you thinking. I have a saying that you can stay home and a plane will fall out of the sky and land on your house. Things just happen sometimes, so we might as well get out and enjoy life. After a cancer scare I am very determined to do as much as possible and not put things off. :D

We have a friend that refuses to live in fear. He carries it in a different direction in that he will not lock his house doors or car. I recently went around to pick something up for him, knowing he had this no locking rule, and the front and back door were wide open! Even though I knew nobody was home, because it was so open I felt like someone must be there! It was a bit spooky, but I do admire his resolve.

I still lock my doors at home, but it does get you thinking. I have a saying that you can stay home and a plane will fall out of the sky and land on your house. Things just happen sometimes, so we might as well get out and enjoy life. After a cancer scare I am very determined to do as much as possible and not put things off. :D

Yes, live life and seize the day.:D