Bayeux Tapestry or Arromanches 360 Cinema

acwmom

My DH and I are traveling on Uniworld in 10 weeks, doing the Paris-Normandy itinerary. Any advice on which of the two choices above we should choose would be appreciated. With either choice, there is a trip to Omaha Beach in the afternoon.

Thanks!

My DH and I are traveling on Uniworld in 10 weeks, doing the Paris-Normandy itinerary. Any advice on which of the two choices above we should choose would be appreciated. With either choice, there is a trip to Omaha Beach in the afternoon.

Thanks!

Bateaux Tapestries no question!

Tapestry by all means. It is astounding....made by hand..and the narrative is excellent. Once seen it will never be forgotten.

OK, I just watched the youtube video of the Arromanches film. If you've never seen any 360 degree movie and you're not familiar with the events of D-Day, then this would be a good choice. I'm not taking a negative point of view, the film is very moving and beautifully done. My point is: the Bayeaux tapestry is a hand sewn, one of a kind piece of art and history and there is nothing like it anywhere else in the world! FYI, the film takes 30 minutes.

The tapestry, if you use the audio guide, could take longer. I strongly recommend the audio guide as it stops at various points in the tapestry and tells you exactly what is going on and points out different things of interest. It is truly amazing.

A few years ago I was on a Celebrity cruise and did a private tour with some CC Roll Call people of the D-Day beaches and the Bayeaux tapestry. I really had no interest in the tapestry but joined up because I wanted to see the beaches and American Cemetery. I loved the tapestry! It was so worth the trip. I don't know anything about the Cinema but can't imagine that it would beat the tapestry.

A few years ago I was on a Celebrity cruise and did a private tour with some CC Roll Call people of the D-Day beaches and the Bayeaux tapestry. I really had no interest in the tapestry but joined up because I wanted to see the beaches and American Cemetery. I loved the tapestry! It was so worth the trip. I don't know anything about the Cinema but can't imagine that it would beat the tapestry.

Joanne: I'm reaching the end of the road for river cruising due to physical limitations but I am increasing my big ship cruises. We LOVE Celebrity and I'm wondering which cruise you were on because they have several I'm interested in. We've already been to Normandy and seen the tapestry. When we went (not on a river cruise) I had never heard of it, but it takes your breath away doesn't it...

The tapestry is amazing. The colors for this massive work of art will blow you away.

There are a couple of books about the tapestry and describe each panel and what it says.

Check it out.

1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry Paperback – April 4, 2006

by Andrew Bridgeford (Author

Joanne: I'm reaching the end of the road for river cruising due to physical limitations but I am increasing my big ship cruises. We LOVE Celebrity and I'm wondering which cruise you were on because they have several I'm interested in. We've already been to Normandy and seen the tapestry. When we went (not on a river cruise) I had never heard of it, but it takes your breath away doesn't it...

We were on a fall trans-Atlantic on the Eclipse which had stops at Paris (LeHavre) and at another port for Normandy. They seem to change the TA ports almost every year, unlike their regular itineraries.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. We have definitely decided to see the tapestry. And thank you, 4774Papa for the book recommendation. I'll be purchasing an electronic copy.

We also are looking forward to visiting the town of Bayeux, itself.

The tapestry was amazing. It is worth seeing. I have been to France many times. The Bayeaux Tapestry is one of the best places in France. Don't miss it. The film at Arromanches is good. However, you can see it online. I loved Normandy. I spent 3 days in the area on a land tour. Have a great time.

My wife and I saw the tapestry in 2012 and enjoyed it very much. We didn't know much about it before nut it was high pn trip Advisors list so we stopped on the way to Juno Beach. We also walked the streets near the tapestry and bought some fantastic pastries to snack on throughout the day.