Hanging a flag on our balcony

CruisingNoob

We will be cruising in a few weeks & I wanted to bring a flag along to hang/attach to our balcony while we're in port. Is there anything we can attach it to? I've seen pictures of signs that people have taped to the glass, but have yet to see a flag. If it is possible, any suggestions on how to keep it attached?

I don't know if we can hang anything or not. We've only cruised once & it's been years. I'm going to bring it (It's an NFL flag) & IF we're allowed to put it up I would only do it while in port. The suction cups sound perfect. I just don't want it to blow away. I guess I can talk to our steward about it.

I don't know if we can hang anything or not. We've only cruised once & it's been years. I'm going to bring it (It's an NFL flag) & IF we're allowed to put it up I would only do it while in port. The suction cups sound perfect. I just don't want it to blow away. I guess I can talk to our steward about it.

I would think if you were there on your balcony and flew it in port only you could get away with it. And you could use those large zip ties to hook it around the railing. But I would be prepared to cut it down if asked...

I have a 7.5" x 15" flag that I brought on our cruise last summer because it was during the first week of July. I'm pretty sure I read a policy that said something to the effect that you couldn't leave decorations hanging on your balcony when you were not in the cabin (i.e., but you could have them there when you were in the cabin). That was fine with me because I just sort of wanted it there as we sailed into our port (and maybe I'd run down and get a picture of it from the dock, then come back).

In any event, despite bringing enough things to tie it down with, I really couldn't find enough points in the right spot where I could tie it off. Ultimately, it will come down to the size of the flag and the exact configuration of the ironwork/strucure of the balcony area.

I also think I remember that there were some accessible tie-off locations, but it would have required that I stand on a chair with one foot on the railing, etc. and that just seemed like a bad idea. I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but risking falling off the ship is not my idea of a good time.

As you mentioned, have your husband stay out on the balcony with the flag ready. You leave the ship, he waits till you are in position to photograph. He puts the flag up, waves at the camera, you snap away. 1 min later he takes the flag down.

No harm, no foul and you have your photos. I really don't think they will chase you down for having a flag up for a minute.

I hung a 4x6 pirate flag on our balcony last Sept. found a pipe above the balcony to zip tie it to. Nothing was said, However after the first day I found it too windy to leave it down so I rolled it up while traveling and pinned it with a few clothes pins. When we got to port I would remove the pins and let it fly. I will have to see if I can find any pics. :)

Lonnie

http://s235.photobucket.com/user/cruisepirate/media/10647235_10205323225099341_4090392438554684649_n_zps2dddc053.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s235.photobucket.com/user/cruisepirate/media/10670060_10205323227899411_6769364604239596287_n_zps1b818f01.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Edited by cruise_pirate

Just wondering? Is this some new trend to hang flags for sports teams on cruise ships? It kind of reminds me of the teddy bear that some classes send to people around the world to take pix to show all of its travels.

Soo is that what the flags are doing , traveling to different places so you can post pix of it???

I hung a 4x6 pirate flag on our balcony last Sept. found a pipe above the balcony to zip tie it to. Nothing was said, However after the first day I found it too windy to leave it down so I rolled it up while traveling and pinned it with a few clothes pins. When we got to port I would remove the pins and let it fly. I will have to see if I can find any pics. :)

Lonnie

Yet another reason why some folks steer clear of Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As you mentioned, have your husband stay out on the balcony with the flag ready. You leave the ship, he waits till you are in position to photograph. He puts the flag up, waves at the camera, you snap away. 1 min later he takes the flag down.

No harm, no foul and you have your photos. I really don't think they will chase you down for having a flag up for a minute.

You have to stand in line again when doing this at ports with tenders :)