Dark Skies For Stargazing

Raxter54

I was wondering if any one could tell me how dark it gets at night during a Caribbean cruise on a RCI ship? I was thinking of bringing along a nice pair of binoculars to do some stargazing during my cruise. Probably going to miss seeing Comet Lovejoy, but can hopefully see some of the objects that are low on the southern horizon here in Central Illinois.

I figure the helipad in the bow of the ship would be the darkest place on the ship to look at the sky. Does the crew turn down the lights in the pool area during late night/early morning? Do they turn lights off on the Promenade at certain times? We have an aft balcony, hopefully I can do some stargazing from there....

I was wondering if any one could tell me how dark it gets at night during a Caribbean cruise on a RCI ship? I was thinking of bringing along a nice pair of binoculars to do some stargazing during my cruise. Probably going to miss seeing Comet Lovejoy, but can hopefully see some of the objects that are low on the southern horizon here in Central Illinois.

I figure the helipad in the bow of the ship would be the darkest place on the ship to look at the sky. Does the crew turn down the lights in the pool area during late night/early morning? Do they turn lights off on the Promenade at certain times? We have an aft balcony, hopefully I can do some stargazing from there....

How dark does it get? It depends on what phase the moon is in. There will be no city lights, so the view will be better than you are used to.

As to where is the best place on the ship, that depends on the ship. For example, passengers cannot access the helipad on the Oasis or Allure. What ship are you going to be on?

How dark does it get? It depends on what phase the moon is in. There will be no city lights, so the view will be better than you are used to.

As to where is the best place on the ship, that depends on the ship. For example, passengers cannot access the helipad on the Oasis or Allure. What ship are you going to be on?

We are sailing on the Serenade at the end of February. I'm sure it will be much darker than where I am now, just wondering about ambient light levels on the ship itself.....

Edited by Raxter54

We are sailing on the Serenade at the end of February. I'm sure it will be much darker than where I am now, just wondering about ambient light levels on the ship itself.....

Provided it isn't too windy the helipad will be accessible. That would be your best bet for stargazing.

There is also some other decent areas. One we have found is right under the forward mast structure. If you go to the upper pool deck, and go forward there should be a set of stairs just past the entrance to the forward elevator bank. Up there is a decent spot if the helipad isn't open.

Thank you all for your replies. Looks like I'll plan on the helipad for my stargazing. Although that area forward of the pool deck sounds interesting.

Just checked on moon phases - a full moon on March 5th. Rats....

The helipad is accessible on the Serenade OTS. I have some pictures of the ship in my review (starting with post number four) ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772167

The helipad is accessible on the Serenade OTS. I have some pictures of the ship in my review (starting with post number four) ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772167

I had previously read your review and appreciated the photos. You had one photo that showed some people standing above the bridge. I wonder if that is the location that rummanroman mentioned?

Where would the best place be to see the comet on the allure? What is the time that the comet is visible in the western Caribbean?

Here is a sky chart showing where Comet Lovejoy will be located during the month of January. Look just to the upper right from the constellation Orion. It is currently 4th magnitude which make it visible to the unaided eye. In a pair of binoculars you can see the tail very well.

Lovejoy2-550px_zpsc1851c76.gif

I had previously read your review and appreciated the photos. You had one photo that showed some people standing above the bridge. I wonder if that is the location that rummanroman mentioned?

There is an observation deck above the bridge.

Because you're at sea, and there's LOTS of moisture, clouds are almost guaranteed... We've had very few "stargazing" nights, due to cloud cover.

I think you've gone a little too far with the guarantee. The entire Caribbean is not usually covered by clouds. I've had many sunrise/sunset pictures ruined because there were no clouds overhead.

Where would the best place be to see the comet on the allure? What is the time that the comet is visible in the western Caribbean?

I would try the area above the bridge wings on deck 14, all the way forward in the port passenger corridor.

This is one area I do have some expertise. I am a long time amateur Astronomer

nsp1.jpg

My main answer is, it will never be as good as you expect. The ship is lit up like Vegas on the outside and your neighbors will probably have their balcony lights on. Depending on the ship, you may or may not have access to the bow at night when the ship is moving fast, but if you find a good spot and have the discipline to not look back at the ship for 30 minutes you might do ok. The binoculars are definitely a good idea. I do live at around the same latitude you do, so the lower horizons will give up some interesting sites in the caribbean.

Here is a sky chart showing where Comet Lovejoy will be located during the month of January. Look just to the upper right from the constellation Orion. It is currently 4th magnitude which make it visible to the unaided eye. In a pair of binoculars you can see the tail very well.

The constellation of Orion is pretty easy to spot and its high up enough to be easy to spot. Not sure about the 4th magnitude comment though. That might be referring to the Orion Nebula M41 which is about that bright and in many cases 4th magnitude isn't that easy to spot in most circumstances. If you were on land a 100 miles from the nearest city yes. Orion has at least the 5 primary stars = Betelgeuese, the belt stars and Rigel that are much brighter than 4th magnitude so it will be easy to spot and serve as marker to find the comet. I haven't read Lovejoy's apparent Magnitude recently, but it sounds do-able with binoculars.

I have always had a good view from my balcony. It is usually late (1 or 2 in the morning) at night after my day is through. I go out there and sit late night and it is so quiet and peaceful. I usually fall asleep out there for about an hour and then get up and go get in the bed! :cool: