Video of Disney Magic Rescuing Oasis Passenger

need2cruisesoon

Here is the dramatic video of the rescue.

I guess your definition of dramatic and mine are very very different!!!

It's the lifeboat slowly going to the RCI Guest who "somehow" got into the ocean, circling around them, then..... bringing them back. Nothing more.

Yay DCL for saving him (due to a Pax spotting him)!

Apart from the choppy seas, you can see that kind of rescue when the crew do drills.

ex techie

It's great that DCL were able to be alerted by a Pax and help this young man.

The better news is that DCL have installed MOB (Man Over Board) detection technology on all of their ships. So if an "unlucky" person were to somehow leave the decks and fall into the ocean, they have an additional back up system to help alert the Bridge to this.

(AFAIK they are the only cruise line to have adopted this tech on to their large cruise ships). RCI have chosen not to despite the 2010 Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act that requires

The vessel shall integrate technology that can

be used for capturing images of passengers or detecting passengers who have fallen overboard, to the extent that such technology is available.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg2/cgis/Docs/HR3360CruiseVesselSecurityandSafetyActof2010.pdf

Obviously that technology IS available as DCL has installed both parts of it on all of it's 4 vessels. (capture and detection)

I raised this issue in Dec 2013 and it was poo poo'd by those that were in the know as unreliable and too costly.

Even the manufacture of a system (not necessarily the system DCL employ) took time to explain the technology. Yet still a no go for some.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1951081

Except DCL! And that has to be a major credit for them!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

One of the poo poo posters has even admitted it just 13 months after on another site.

That act has not been enforced & the technology is still being developed.

Disney Cruise Line & I believe Norwegian Cruise Line are leaders in getting these systems in place, with other lines starting to follow.

ex techie

Not as dramatic as the Wonder rescuing the Carnival passenger' date=' but still....nice work, Disney! Wonder if his blood alcohol level was checked after this "rogue wave" incident.[/quote']

Ditto :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Siesta--the railings ARE high. An adult would have to make a serious effort to go over one, at least on the ships I've been on. The railing on the verandah of the Magic hits about halfway between my waist and shoulder (I'm about 5'6"). No way I could bend over it, jump over it, retrieve an object that was dropped over or anything else.

I think this speaks well to the issue that in 15+ years, only one person has definitely gone overboard from a DCL ship (and likely one other, but that is not confirmed.) The one for certain was teen who did it intentionally from a crew only area which has now been blocked off. No more access for anyone. This stunt was done while the ship was in port. OK, he's an idiot but he's not stupid.:)

Maybe they should put a warning label above the boarding gangway--jumping or falling off a cruise ship could be hazardous to your health.

Edited by moki'smommy

Here is the dramatic video of the rescue.

It is indeed dramatic and dangerous. The little 40' boat is short and round and hard to navigate and control in those swells and choppy sea. Add to it the Helmsman is not only trying the control the motion and movements of the boat, he has a man in the water he's trying to to run or roll over and maybe get him caught up in the prop and killed. Believe me it is no easy thing.

Looking at a video does not show how dangerous and the amount of skill and training it takes to handle that boat in those conditions.

DCL crews are some of the best if not the best trained crews on cruise ships today.:D

AKK

DCL crews are some of the best if not the best trained crews on cruise ships today.:D

AKK

Thanks for your expertise, Skipper. DCL makes it look easy!

It is fun to watch them practicing lifeboat drills while in port. We had one breakfast when our server was just not himself. I asked if he was OK, and he explained that it was his turn to be the man in the water getting rescued and he didn't want to get in that cold water.

For anyone who hasn't seen them, google the videos of the Wonder rescuing the Carnival passenger. Some of the best are shot from the Carnival ship with their comments about how Carnival's searchlights went 50 feet while Disney's went 500, etc. Basically, Carnival got their lifeboat caught in the rigging and couldn't lower it. The Wonder lowered a lifeboat and retrieved a man who had a few too many. In some of the video from the Wonder, you can hear the staff captain giving commands.

OK Buddy.......Yes I was poo poo a year ago and now I admit' date=' the technos is out there now......You were right!

AKK[/quote']

Hey Skipper,

Sorry for the late reply.

You shouldn't feel and weren't singled out. A few others disagreed also and I would have mentioned user names if it were just you.

Ultimately, I'm just glad that they did adopt the technology and hopefully should the worst ever happen, it will aid in a recovery process. (even if that soul has passed by the time they recovered)

A body found must be better than the not knowing or not being able to bury and help with the grieving and some way to the healing.

I still check Rebeca's page occasionally for any updates to the search, and so wish her parents some closure to whatever happened to that poor girl.

I'm sure not knowing is the worst part.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Hey Skipper,

Sorry for the late reply.

You shouldn't feel and weren't singled out. A few others disagreed also and I would have mentioned user names if it were just you.

Ultimately, I'm just glad that they did adopt the technology and hopefully should the worst ever happen, it will aid in a recovery process. (even if that soul has passed by the time they recovered)

A body found must be better than the not knowing or not being able to bury and help with the grieving and some way to the healing.

I still check Rebeca's page occasionally for any updates to the search, and so wish her parents some closure to whatever happened to that poor girl.

I'm sure not knowing is the worst part.

ex techie

No hard feelings at all!:D You were right!

Hey, Skipper and Techie;

I was one of the ones to poo poo it last year, and I'm still not convinced that the system will actually do much good, regardless of whether or not cruise lines are installing them. The sample size is so small that realistic statistics about whether the system is effective or not, over other existing surveillance systems, would not be reliable. If the lines want to spend the money for the systems, mainly to meet the act, or for PR reasons, fine, but I'm still not convinced that it will make that much difference.

It is indeed dramatic and dangerous. The little 40' boat is short and round and hard to navigate and control in those swells and choppy sea. Add to it the Helmsman is not only trying the control the motion and movements of the boat' date=' he has a man in the water he's trying to to run or roll over and maybe get him caught up in the prop and killed. Believe me it is no easy thing.

Looking at a video does not show how dangerous and the amount of skill and training it takes to handle that boat in those conditions.

AKK[/quote']

While I agree with just about all you've said, Skipper, I've got a couple of questions about the whole process. I would have expected the Captain to maneuver the ship upwind to provide a lee for the boat, and I would have preferred to see the boat approach the person from upwind, again to allow the boat to only drift down towards him, and to provide a lee for the transfer to the boat. Fortunately, the person was able to swim downwind to the boat, but if he had been injured, the downwind approach would not have worked. The coxswain showed some skill in turning, and avoiding spending too much time rolling in the trough. This situation shows why the "fast rescue boat" is pretty much a dodo, as launching, operating, and recovering a RHIB in even these moderate conditions would be even more dangerous.

Hey, Skipper and Techie;

I was one of the ones to poo poo it last year, and I'm still not convinced that the system will actually do much good, regardless of whether or not cruise lines are installing them. The sample size is so small that realistic statistics about whether the system is effective or not, over other existing surveillance systems, would not be reliable. If the lines want to spend the money for the systems, mainly to meet the act, or for PR reasons, fine, but I'm still not convinced that it will make that much difference.

Fair enough Chief,

What other surveillance systems alert the bridge of a heat source mass going overboard apart from a human visibly seeing it or watching it on a CCTV monitor though?

From what I've read, Royal didn't know, and only reviewed the footage after the incident was reported back to them.

No system is going to be 100% reliable and accurate out in the real word of operating in such a harsh environment.

ex techie

While I agree with just about all you've said, Skipper, I've got a couple of questions about the whole process. I would have expected the Captain to maneuver the ship upwind to provide a lee for the boat, and I would have preferred to see the boat approach the person from upwind, again to allow the boat to only drift down towards him, and to provide a lee for the transfer to the boat. Fortunately, the person was able to swim downwind to the boat, but if he had been injured, the downwind approach would not have worked. The coxswain showed some skill in turning, and avoiding spending too much time rolling in the trough. This situation shows why the "fast rescue boat" is pretty much a dodo, as launching, operating, and recovering a RHIB in even these moderate conditions would be even more dangerous.

Hi Cheng,

Well neither of us were there and conditions behind the wheel are what counts.

However I would rather have been down wind to let the person in the water swim and/or drift toward the boat and thereby be more unlikely to by run over by the boat. As to injury the man was obviously reactive and would have told the boat crew if he was injured.

Remember that boat is basically a egg shaped float in the water, not easy to react or maneuver fast.

AKK

Hi Cheng' date='

Well neither of us were there and conditions behind the wheel are what counts.

However I would rather have been down wind to let the person in the water swim and/or drift toward the boat and thereby be more unlikely to by run over by the boat. As to injury the man was obviously reactive and would have told the boat crew if he was injured.

Remember that boat is basically a egg shaped float in the water, not easy to react or maneuver fast.

AKK[/quote']

I was taught to maneuver upwind, beam to the victim and drift down to the victim. Engine in neutral or off of necessary.

Conditions and the Coxn's judgement would be the deciding factor.

I was taught to maneuver upwind, beam to the victim and drift down to the victim. Engine in neutral or off of necessary.

Conditions and the Coxn's judgement would be the deciding factor.

Not my way, in those waves and swells, but we both agreed that the helmsman's that was there ,his judgment counts and he obviously did the right thing.

AKK