Veendam

qsuzi

We spent 35 days on her after her retrofit and liked the ship. We were part of a fairly large (and vocal) roll call with people from many countries who occupied every category of cabin...except the PH....and we heard zero complaints about the ship.

I'm going to Bermuda on her in June.

We will never sail her again, as she provided us our worst cruise experience to date (2012 sailing).

That said, the management is totally revamped as they fired several when our ship docked in nyc, and recent reviews say they horrible maintenance (or lack thereof) we experienced ha been corrected.

Edited by sppunk

Our first cruise on HAL was on the Veendam to Bermuda in 2011 and then Hawaii and most recently the Panama Canal. While I wasn't thrilled with the wading hot tubs at the back, but made my legs feel great, we never had a complaint with the ship. I love the Veendam, crew etc...

Good to know. I respect your opinion so I appreciate it.

We will never sail her again, as she provided us our worst cruise experience to date (2012 sailing).

That said, the management is totally revamped as they fired several when our ship docked in nyc, and recent reviews say they horrible maintenance (or lack thereof) we experienced ha been corrected.

I always think of you when I think of the Veendam. I don't blame you one bit. That's the way I feel about the Statendam.

Ditto

I always say I've never been on a bad cruise- just some are better than others, but the Veedam was BAD

We sailed on her in 2010 around South America. When it was hot there was no air, when it was cold there was no heat. Plumbing didn't work. Ship smelled from sewage and on and on and on. EVERYONE was complaining

I felt sorry for the people at the service desk......

I, personally, would Never sail her again, even if it were free.

Helaine

Edited by hmorrow

I always think of you when I think of the Veendam. I don't blame you one bit. That's the way I feel about the Statendam.

In retrospect I kinda wish the whispered mutiny had actually happened, just for the story. When the FCC tells you the crew want to revolt, you know it's a problem lol.

In retrospect I kinda wish the whispered mutiny had actually happened, just for the story. When the FCC tells you the crew want to revolt, you know it's a problem lol.

Oh brutal. My hate of the Statendam pales in comparison. you had good reason for your dislike.

I appreciate all the comments but WOW! Here is to optimism and that the most recent reviews equal another good cruise ahead; our first one on HAL.

Edited by qsuzi

We spent 35 days on the Veendam for the Voyage of the Vikings, July-August 2014. We had no problems with any of the ship's systems and found the ship in the same good condition as other HAL ships.

You were on her right after us. Hopefully the problems from a couple of years ago have been solved.

We just got off the Veendam yesterday at the end of a 17 day Hawaii cruise and had no complaints with the condition of the ship. Any problems we were aware of seemed to be handled quickly: one couple we met mentioned they had a water leak in their bathroom but they told us it was fixed right away. I discovered a very flooded ladies' room near the Culinary Center one afternoon, but after we reported it to a crew member a team of maintenance guys showed up immediately to take care of it. The only other issue that was slightly annoying was the elevators seemed to need frequent repair during our time on board. The couple who had the bathroom leak was stuck in one of them for 20 minutes one day; the captain gave them a free dinner in the Pinnacle Grill for their troubles.

We just got off the Veendam yesterday at the end of a 17 day Hawaii cruise and had no complaints with the condition of the ship. Any problems we were aware of seemed to be handled quickly: one couple we met mentioned they had a water leak in their bathroom but they told us it was fixed right away. I discovered a very flooded ladies' room near the Culinary Center one afternoon, but after we reported it to a crew member a team of maintenance guys showed up immediately to take care of it. The only other issue that was slightly annoying was the elevators seemed to need frequent repair during our time on board. The couple who had the bathroom leak was stuck in one of them for 20 minutes one day; the captain gave them a free dinner in the Pinnacle Grill for their troubles.

Elevators needing repair are not that unusual but frequent and more than one elevator needing repair does concern me. Thanks for taking the time to post this information.

I've been cruising for 35 years. Things happen on ships. I don't like to waste time complaining and fussing, but do want basic service we all deserve. On one cruise, my toilet didn't flush. On one cruise, my a/c wasn't working and the promised fan did not arrive. On one cruise, a faucet handle kept falling off.

I bring along black Magic Markers, large sheets of white paper and masking tape on cruises...just in case. When there has been a cabin problem I made one phone call or visit to Front Desk and politely explained the problem. When the repair did not happen within five to six hours, I posted the following large signs (depending on the problem) on the OUTSIDE of my cabin door.

*TOILET DOES NOT FLUSH*

*FAUCET HANDLE BROKEN*

*HELP!!!! NO A/C. NEED FAN ASAP*

I've received good results.

That is a very good idea.

We have also heard of a couple who went down to the front desk area at night in their pyjamas to sleep in the chairs. But mostly to bring attention to the no AC in their cabin for several days. They tried everything else and the last resort was to embarrass the staff into action.

We sailed on Veendam last summer. Before sailing we read a lot of negative reviews on these boards. The cruise was much better than the reviews would have indicated. We had a fine time.

I totally agree. I was on in June with my niece (14 yrs old). It was too cold to use the pool and hot tubs so I can't speak to being overrun with kids. I would book her again in a heartbeat. Love the smaller size and the crew was awesome. Made our day a few times with cabin decorations (my niece traveled with a few stuffed animals who always seemed to be getting into something, lol)

I love the smaller ships, hate to see them go, but I bet in the next 10 years they will all be gone, except for the luxury cruise ships, which I cant afford.

As for things to do, I for one don't climb walls, I don't surf or ride bumper cars not to mention trapeze classes.:confused: And then there is that big ball that have to stand in line for hours for, to look out over the ocean:confused: Also you have to deal with a multitude of people, which everyone says your really dont notice, right, go to the pool deck on a sea day or the buffet. So everybody, keep booking the small ships so they don't become extinct:D

We were on the Veendam last June and loved the ship! Yes, she's smaller than most but they still manage to pack everything in that we were looking for. The modified aft deck are was very underutilized and a thus a great place to go for peace and quiet. Avoid the pizza served there though - it is very mediocre at best (strange, as all the other food on the Veendam was pretty good).

I also read many reviews of the Veendam before our cruise and nearly got scared into cancelling it - so glad we didn't cancel. We loved the Veendam. Had no issues whatsoever. The ship is a beautiful cruise ship. I enjoyed being aft for port sailaways but other than that I am not one to hang around pools and hot tubs anyway so I guess I didn't notice or care that it was supposed to be so bad.

We sailed on the Westerdam afterward and thought it would be somehow even better than the Veendam since the reviews are so much better. We came away feeling kind of "meh" about it and prefer the Veendam. We are hoping to go back on her again.

Just goes to show it all just subjective I guess.

(There were also naysayers telling me my children would hate Holland America, and it turns out they prefer it over Disney, Royal, and Princess!!)

I hope they don't sell Veendam before we can go on her again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently booked on the Sept. 12 Veendam Canada cruise, Quebec to Boston, and am considering switching to NCL Norwegian Dawn. I read all of the reviews on 2014 Canada sailings and most were very negative. My biggest area of concern is the seeming decline in food quality and the cost cutting by Carnival Corp. Reviews for 2014 NCL Canada cruises are much more positive. And it is a lot less money.

All things truly are relative. At 57,000 GRT the S class ships are still considerably larger than the USS Oriskany, an aircraft carrier that I spent about four years of my life on. As I recall, it seemed plenty big to me!;)

Loved your comment Jim, and thank you for your service in the US Armed forces.

galensgrl

• 3 months later...
I am currently booked on the Sept. 12 Veendam Canada cruise, Quebec to Boston, and am considering switching to NCL Norwegian Dawn. I read all of the reviews on 2014 Canada sailings and most were very negative. My biggest area of concern is the seeming decline in food quality and the cost cutting by Carnival Corp. Reviews for 2014 NCL Canada cruises are much more positive. And it is a lot less money.

We are going on Veendam in October 2015, through the Northeast into Quebec. I am trying to find information on the pools, will they be open in October? Are they covered/warm?

We have sailed on the Veendam several times, most recently to Bermuda in 2012. While we were on the sailing right before the "failed" inspection, we had a great time.

The ship is the best choice for going to Bermuda. Because of its smaller size, the ship docks right on Front Street in Hamilton, a far superior location that the Royal Dockyard. You can see the ship in Bermuda in pictures in this post: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/04/18/planning-a-cruise-to-bermuda-5-tips/

We are going on Veendam in October 2015, through the Northeast into Quebec. I am trying to find information on the pools, will they be open in October? Are they covered/warm?

There is one midship pool. It's is covered but the cover can be open or closed.