Cell Phones

Nottoold

Do you get cell phone reception while you are in port in San Juan? I have AT&T and it shows on their map that you do, but still am not sure. Don't need to call or text bad enough to pay roaming charges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you get cell phone reception while you are in port in San Juan? I have AT&T and it shows on their map that you do, but still am not sure. Don't need to call or text bad enough to pay roaming charges.

Yes you do while in port..as you start to leave San Juan at a certain point you will see your phone will then switch to "Cellular At Sea".

You should also call AT&T they will discuss and advise you in your cell phone usage while on a cruise and in ports..and how to avoid any roaming/data charges.

If by San Juan, you mean San Juan Puerto Rico, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, at&t, and Sprint have native "not roaming" coverage in Puerto Rico, since it's a US Territory. You can use your phone there just like you would at home without added costs. Same for the US Virgin Islands.

When you're at sea, you'll see "Cellular at Sea" or similar, indicating you're roaming on the ship's internal network. That will cost for minutes and data. Same for other islands, like Bahamas, Barbados, etc etc. Definitely disable data roaming there, or you may find a big bill due to background apps that like to update, such as twitter, email, facebook, etc.

Edited by tbonecopper

Was there this past October and used my AT&T phone (and its data capabilities), just fine in port - but I was careful to flip it back to "airplane" mode just before we left the dock.