Grand Voyage Roll Calls?

ORV

I would say 1 for the whole voyage is better if that is the way it is sold.

If you look at the 2015 world cruise it has for the most part stayed as one thread instead of multiple for each segment. While this may be hard on those doing just a segment it prevents people having to do a relevant post to every segment thread.

In contrast the grand odyssey voyage starting in July there is a thread for every segment and threads for several groups of segments. Just too confusing in my opinion.

So far the 2016 world is just one thread and hopefully will stay that way. People are free to start a segment thread but they risk missing out on tours and other info on the bigger thread.

I agree wholeheartedly with Waynetor. I counted 5 separate threads for the 2015 AWC (now truncated itinerary) and 11 for the 2015 World Odyssey—including 3 separate threads for the Dubai-Singapore segment! Makes it very hard for people to keep track. If cruisers on a segment want information for a specific port, they can just search the main thread. How hard is that?

-Sukey-

We are on a Grand Voyage that consists of two 16 day B2B. The roll call for the first 16 days is enormous as that cruise was sold out more than a year in advance. Oceania is still heavily discounting and selling the second 16 days.

If there had only been a Grand Voyage roll call, the folks on the second half would have had to plow thru dozens of pages of information that was not relevant to them.

There was actually a roll call started for the whole 32 days but it faded away due to neglect. So, in this particular case, separate roll calls for each segment was the best.

If you do a thread for each segment, then you need to post a roll call notice on each, you need to keep a list of passengers for each. Any comments about the captain, CD, and other general things would need to be repeated. Somewhere along the line people are going to miss reading something.

The problem here is there is no hard and fast rules as it should be. Each case is different. For the 2015 and 2016 world cruise there is a majority doing the full voyage. For the 2015 180 day grand odyssey most are doing segments and when starting the thread it is an unknown which way it is going to go.

I agree that segments work if it’s a Grand Voyage, as the OP originally asked. Basically that’s a simple B2B or even a B2B2B.

But the “world” itinerary segments make it a B2B2B2B2B2B2B2B. That’s MIA-BGI-CPT-SIN-SHA-SYD-PPT-LAX-MIA. Posts on a segment roll calls can be easily missed, unless you are subscribed to all of them. Waynetor’s point is well taken.

-Sukey-

We have always done segments as separate roll calls for B2B's

Just easier for us ;)

RTW cruise is a whole different ball game ...if you only have a few on the RTW cruise then segments work but when over half the ship is involved in the whole 180 days it makes sense to have 1 roll call confusing as it may be for those doing short segments

Those doing short segments can do a roll call there is no rule against it

Many WC will form bonds early on & so those coming in late in the game may not feel as welcome

JMO

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Lyn,

“Many WC will form bonds early on & so those coming in late in the game may not feel as welcome”

Those of us on the entire 180 days (2015 AWC, and now on the 2016 AWC) have made a very specific point of making everyone feel welcome and included. We’re planning meet & greets on the first sea day after each segment boards to give a warm welcome to the new faces, and the segmenters have expressed their gratitude for the “inclusiveness.”

-Sukey-

Lyn,

“Many WC will form bonds early on & so those coming in late in the game may not feel as welcome”

Those of us on the entire 180 days (2015 AWC, and now on the 2016 AWC) have made a very specific point of making everyone feel welcome and included. We’re planning meet & greets on the first sea day after each segment boards to give a warm welcome to the new faces, and the segmenters have expressed their gratitude for the “inclusiveness.”

-Sukey-

Sukey I did not say the WC people would not make people feel welcome,

but people coming late to the party may NOT feel it ...depends on their personal perceptions

Segments. Otherwise you are likely to confuse many.

If you do a thread for each segment, then you need to post a roll call notice on each, you need to keep a list of passengers for each. Any comments about the captain, CD, and other general things would need to be repeated. Somewhere along the line people are going to miss reading something.

The problem here is there is no hard and fast rules as it should be. Each case is different. For the 2015 and 2016 world cruise there is a majority doing the full voyage. For the 2015 180 day grand odyssey most are doing segments and when starting the thread it is an unknown which way it is going to go.

This would make for a great assignment to a college debate team as there are many valid points in favor of either approach.

I agree with segments. Oceania confuses the issue by combining SOME of the segments into Grand Voyages so you have segments, Grand Voyages and one Uber Grand Voyage (AKA World Cruise). There is no easy answer but I think most people who cruise are intelligent enough to focus their posts on topic. And those who do the World Cruise are certainly in the upper range of experience and cruise-savvy. If there are topics that are not segment-specific that apply to the group doing a combo B2B or the entire world cruise, then post on the appropriate thread. Put excursions or things specific to a port on the thread for that segment. That takes a little more thought and work, but people should be able to do it. My wife and I do a lot of B2B cruises on Celebrity and don't have much problem with that approach.

As for keeping lists, my wife likes to do that and she does keep separate lists and notes B2B/B2B2B on each as it applies. List keepers are volunteers and just need to deal with the work they choose to do.

As a newcomer to Oceania, I booked a segment of the Jul-Jan World Cruise but did not even know that existed for several months. Our thread (Montreal-London) has almost twice as many posts as the World Cruise and that is even counting all the posts concerning the fire and subsequent cancellation. We have several excursions planned on that roll call but I will admit that this thread caused me to go look at the World Cruise and I do see a post there that the person arranging tours in Iceland missed. He went to the World Cruise thread once and posted but missed the single response.

Here is a list of the threads with post counts that clearly illustrate the problem.

Oceania insignia world cruise July 2015-January2016.....109

Insignia July 8, 2015 Miami to Barcelona 50 days (B2B2B).....66

Montreal to London - July 24, 2015.....215

August 16, 2015 London-Dubai Royals & Rulers (B2B).....4

August 27, 2015 Barcelona to Dubai Pathways of History.....48

Sept 20, 2015. Far East jewels Dubai to Singapore.....51

Insignia September 20, 2015 Dubai to Singapore.....4

Oceania/Insignia "Far East Jewels" Sept. 20, 2015 Dubai to Singapore.....51

October 10 2015 Isignia.....15

Hong Kong to Cape Town, October 26, 2015.....27

Insignia Capetown to Miami Nov 30th 2015.....2

It confused everyone on the BKK to Istanbul Nautica sailing for 2015. Originally it was started by someone who was doing a grand voyage - Tokyo-BKK_IST. The grand voyage disappeared into the no views history..

Besides you will have 2 meet & greets. One for each segment. You will find most people are doing only one segment.

It also gives an excuse for another party :)

There is also no law that the same person on both segments needs to handle both M&G.

Would be nice if O started to support M&G's officially like NCL and RCL does. But that should be another thread :)

RCL really does it well with canapes and gifts for those that attend.

Good examples Bob....

Edited by PaulMCO