Just off the Jewel if you have any questions

mary_228

Ports on this itinerary were St. Thomas, Antigua, Martinique, St Lucia and Grenada.

Tours taken:

RCL: Ultimate St. John's National Park and Beaches (Trunk Bay)

Lawrence of Antigua: island tour with beach stop at Valley Church Beach

RCL: St. Pierre, Depaz Distillery, Balata Church

Shoreexcursions.com (thru Costco): Soufriere Sail, incl stop at the sulphur steam vents, botanical garden, snorkeling, lunch w/cocoa processing overview

RCL: Dougalston Nutmeg Procesing, Grand Etang, Ft. Frederick

My Time Dining, no specialty restaurants or spa treatments. Attended almost all theme parties, production shows and games.

Edited by mary_228
more info

Did you happen to notice when or where they served fresh squeezed orange juice?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's offered in the WJ ($) during breakfast...and probably in the MDR too (although I didn't eat breakfast there during my October cruise).

Was there any other food venue open when you boarded, other than Windjammer?

On our October JOS (southern caribbean) boarding day besides the WJ there were snacks at Cafe Latte-tudes open at 11:15am and SeaView Cafe open at 11:15am.

Ports on this itinerary were St. Thomas, Antigua, Martinique, St Lucia and Grenada.

Tours taken:

RCL: Ultimate St. John's National Park and Beaches (Trunk Bay)

Lawrence of Antigua: island tour with beach stop at Valley Church Beach

RCL: St. Pierre, Depaz Distillery, Balata Church

Shoreexcursions.com (thru Costco): Soufriere Sail, incl stop at the sulphur steam vents, botanical garden, snorkeling, lunch w/cocoa processing overview

RCL: Dougalston Nutmeg Procesing, Grand Etang, Ft. Frederick

My Time Dining, no specialty restaurants or spa treatments. Attended almost all theme parties, production shows and games.

Don't mean to hijack your thread...just offering some things I might be able to from my October Jewel cruise.

How did you like the ship? I'm thinking about booking our next New Years vacation on the Jewel for a southern caribbean cruise. :)

Jewel will have drydock approx May 2016...so no upgrades until then but the good news is she will still have the SeaView Cafe until then.

I thought she showed a bit of cosmetic wear...but not enough to keep me from being excited to sail on her again this September when she visits the west coast :D

On our October JOS (southern caribbean) boarding day besides the WJ there were snacks at Cafe Latte-tudes open at 11:15am and SeaView Cafe open at 11:15am.

Thanks, I did not know that SeaView would be open at boarding time.

Mike Hunnerup still the CD?
If he is from Australia, that would be him. Quite tall, balding?

Thank you for the reference to shoreexcursionsgroup.com through Costco. I had not idea that was an option. I'm seeing some of the ones I've been interested in.
Our tour was composed of passengers from the two shipd in port as well as from hotels on the island. Once we arrived at Soufriere, we all split up into different tour groups. Our group was the last to return to the catamaran, which cut into the time remaining for the snorkeling and there was basically a race to get us back into port. Since our ship had the earliest departure time, they pulled the cat right up to the Jewel's dock and we made it onboard with 15 min to spare. A bit of stress I could have done without. Our tourguide did not give us times to be back at each stop and naturally some people luxuriated in the mudbaths longer than the rest of us wanted to look at steam vents.

Did you enjoy the St.john excursion?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This was a disappointing excursion on many levels. Several of us on one side of the boat got drenched with sea spray on the way to St John's as big waves crashed against the side of the boat, which made us laugh uproariously to the confusion of the dry passengers on the other side of the boat. We were in the back covered area on the port side FWIW. We had a nice narration through the very small part of the National Park but were left to our own devices once at Annenberg Sugar Plantation, with only ten minutes to look around. There were placards with information, but when I have a guided tour, I expect the guide to provide information that brings it all to life for me. There is limited parking there and he had to move the little bus down to the road below the site. We had several photo stops along the route. The people who did not read their tour tickets were dismayed to learn that the tour did not include transportation back to the dock for $6 pp. so they may not have had extra funds for tips or food. A bigger issue was that our driver had no idea when we were supposed to return to the dock for our return ferry. After conferring with other drivers, we were given a time of 2:45, which was in fact an hour too early, limiting our enjoyment of the shops at the dock area, national park service information center and of course the beach. Finally we were ready to board and the crew determined the battery was dead. A catamaran was sent from the Westin property and we travelled back to the Jewel in luxury.

Since you attended all, could you give us a run down of what the them parties and shows were and what you thought of each?
White party is just fun on deck at night with officers in attendance. Lots of line dances, conga lines. Buffet.

70's party was a blast - hate to give away the fun appearances by that era's musucial groups if you've never been. We learned some line dances in the centrum then aftern dinner the party began there, loads of people on all levels watching the dancing. Hundreds of people moved up to the disco for the after party. Great DJ each night in the Vortex.

I did not attend the Silent Party but others in my family really enjoyed it. Apparently this was done at Coachella so you are pretty hip to get to do this onboard! Dancing in the Vortex with headphones on is all that I understood.

The singers and dancers were good enough for me. Giving their all, as usual. Attended both performances and admired the costuming and amazing sets in the second show.

Really disliked the impressionist, maybe it was the era of music he performed. Did not hear the Diva. The live orchestra was excellent. Farewell show included an exciting trio of tango dancers from Buenos Aires. Try not to miss this. Enjoyed the Quest, Love and Marriage and Battle of the Sexes game show.

How did you like the ship? I'm thinking about booking our next New Years vacation on the Jewel for a southern caribbean cruise. :)
The ship was great. Ports (no tenders a huge plus), activities staff, DJ, food all excellent. We ate in the dining room each night.

A pleasant surprise was that there were no announcements whatsoever. The last time I sailed from San Juan on RCL (2011) we had Spanish and English announcements throughout the day which was pretty intrusive. About the only thing I didn't like is the shampoo/conditioner combo. My hair felt like straw all week. I brought my own conditioner but even that didn't help. Maybe it's the water? My hair is back to normal now thank goodness ;) but sadly I am no longer on a cruise :(

Hey! We're on the Jewel in March. Do you happen to remember if there was somewhere you could see the water from deck 5 (my husband likes a less crowded sail away view than the pool deck)? Also, do you know what time the white party started? We're going spring break so I figured there will be kids everywhere but I was curious if they had any family friendly dancing/parties. Thanks!

We are sailing on the JOS Feb 21st. My DW is asking on how good the in cabin hair dryers worked.

We just got off a Carnival cruise (not my idea) and there were NO hair dryers in the cabins, that is why this question.

I know some people don't care, but if you remember, who was the Cruise Director? Since you mentioned the games, when I was on Jewel we had Carly, a lady from the UK and I thought while now bad, she was on the low end of my favorite lists because of her lackluster work on the games. Specifically Love and Marriage, is usually a late evening show done after both dining hours lasting about an hour. Her version was 20 minutes and between dinner shows. Quest was also very G rated and boring.

I believe she is retired now.