SS 6145/6146 M class closets

lawgirl

Hello. thinking of booking one of these cabins, but I am an extremely heavy packer! I literally bring 20 pair of shoes (for 2 week cruise) and alot of clothes - usually 2 or 3 changes of clothes per day. Yes, I know I am nuts. Will the closet in this SS be an issue? Also, we are noise sensitive, so worried about PH next door.

Would another SS be better given my closet issue? I guess I am having a hard time visualizing how small the hanging part of the closet is for a 2 week cruise. Than ks

Hello. thinking of booking one of these cabins, but I am an extremely heavy packer! I literally bring 20 pair of shoes (for 2 week cruise) and alot of clothes - usually 2 or 3 changes of clothes per day. Yes, I know I am nuts. Will the closet in this SS be an issue? Also, we are noise sensitive, so worried about PH next door.

Would another SS be better given my closet issue? I guess I am having a hard time visualizing how small the hanging part of the closet is for a 2 week cruise. Than ks

The closet is small. I too am a heavy packer. We took that cabin on a Trans Atlantic cruise and was prepared for the closet being small. It was actually MUCH smaller than I had imagined. In terms of the hanging part of the closet, most cabins have two double door closets, three sections for hanging clothes and one section with some drawers. 6145/6146 only have three sections in total, two sections for hanging clothes and one section for drawers. The cabin attendant can bring in a rolling clothes rack, which does help, but if you plan on bringing a lot of clothes you may be unhappy with the lack of space. The cabin does have some really great features. It has a really large bathroom with a separate shower and large tub. The square footage of the cabin is about 375 sq. ft instead of around 250 sq. ft. The door to the balcony is NOT a slider, but I was concerned it wouldn't bring in enough light. That wasn't an issue. The decor of the cabin matches the Penthouse, which has dark wood and a very rich look. The other disadvantage has to do with the player piano in the Penthouse. It is quite near the connecting door between the two cabins. If the people in the Penthouse are considerate and don't set the piano to play and walk away, it really won't be an issue. When the piano is playing you will hear it. If there are kids in the Penthouse that might be an added concern as the kids might decide to bang the piano anytime. I will say, the butler and cabin attendant aren't likely to tell the Penthouse residents to be quiet. You just have to be lucky. If everything works out, it's a wonderful cabin, if the Penthouse people are noisy, you will be sorry you chose that cabin.

If you do choose this cabin, I truthfully think you may want to cut back on some excess clothing. You just must be prepared for a small closet. I don't want to scare you about the Piano issue, but that really is hit or miss.

I hope this information is helpful.

Here are some pictures of the cabin on the celebrity equinox to maybe give you an idea of storage space. Note the storage space above the bed also, those are cabinets that the doors open upwards. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421610024.481438.jpg.6ea8047a34af2fb91eb161eb251d5883.jpg

I hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421609973.593018.jpg.b922accd238f45673c65ccae5f2afd1a.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421609987.129620.jpg.6a5c26c103c4c354611b124e43718f9b.jpg

Here are some pictures of the cabin on the celebrity equinox to maybe give you an idea of storage space. Note the storage space above the bed also, those are cabinets that the doors open upwards. [ATTACH]337151[/ATTACH][ATTACH]337152[/ATTACH][ATTACH]337154[/ATTACH]

I hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6145/6146 on the M-Class ships are totally different than they pictures above on Equinox. It sounds like the original poster was well aware of this.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We sailed in 6145 on the Millennium in 2011 and 2013 (both Alaska Southbound), and I agree with everything that I Fly says above, particularly about storage. Note that the bed is tall enough to put suitcases underneath if you wanted to perhaps make use of that.

The only other thing I would add that could be not-so-great for a transatlantic itinerary is the fact that there is absolutely NO cover on the balcony - it is open all the way up to the top deck above you. This wasn't a big deal to us, but if you want shade from the sun or cover from rain, you'll be out of luck. Here is an album of pictures that I took in 2011 - it hadn't changed much that we could see, except that they (sort of) fixed the leak in the bathtub that led to the carpet in the entry hallway getting soaked (thus the towel on the floor).

The closet is on the right as you enter from the hallway in these photos. Also note that there are a number of small shelves on either side of the mirror over the desk.

Hope this helps!

We sailed in 6145 on the Millennium in 2011 and 2013 (both Alaska Southbound), and I agree with everything that I Fly says above, particularly about storage. Note that the bed is tall enough to put suitcases underneath if you wanted to perhaps make use of that.

The only other thing I would add that could be not-so-great for a transatlantic itinerary is the fact that there is absolutely NO cover on the balcony - it is open all the way up to the top deck above you. This wasn't a big deal to us, but if you want shade from the sun or cover from rain, you'll be out of luck. Here is an album of pictures that I took in 2011 - it hadn't changed much that we could see, except that they (sort of) fixed the leak in the bathtub that led to the carpet in the entry hallway getting soaked (thus the towel on the floor).

The closet is on the right as you enter from the hallway in these photos. Also note that there are a number of small shelves on either side of the mirror over the desk.

Hope this helps!

This varies by Ship. I know Summit has covers on the Balconies and believe Constellation does (I always forget about Connie). Infinity and Millennium do not.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My two daughters and I had the same stateroom on the Constellation last year. We all pack heavily! :rolleyes:

Besides the closet issue, there is also very little drawer space. With three women sharing the stateroom, I was concerned. I am happy to say that we managed the space (and noise) very well!

Here's what we did:

For starters, I took a lite weight canvas, collapsible hanging shoe bag. I was able to fit a pair or two of shoes in each slot. I used empty slots for scarves, belts, etc.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/hangingBags?productId=10005137

I also took a few lite weight collapsible canvas storage bins to use in the entertainment center shelves for my daughters to use. The girls also had all but one drawer at the dressing table. The other was used for our electronics. I took the shelving space in the closet. The bedside tables have large storage possibilities and were both utilized.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=45877306&pla=pla_19457602&mr:referralID=3bc508f1-a243-11e4-80b4-001b2166becc&camp=PLAPPC-_-PID19457602&KPID=19457602

From Amazon, I ordered these really super heavy magnets to use on the stateroom walls for hanging clothes or anything else. The walls are metal!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=2+Neodymium+Hook+Magnets+-+Each+Holds+up+to+80+Pounds+

I now take the above items on all cruises no matter what the size of the stateroom. The storage bins come in handy in the over the bed storage as shown in chejec's photo.

BTW- The closet shown in those photos is about the same size as the closet in the special SS. Perhaps the SS closet is a little larger. The heavier doors are a pain to slide back and forth.

For the noise from the Penthouse, we used a white noise machine. Something that we carry everywhere and also use at home. On the Constellation, there was an electrical outlet next to the connecting door to the Penthouse. That's where we plugged the machine in.

We were not really bothered by the piano except for one afternoon when we wanted to nap. A little boy was staying next door and he started to play the piano. He was quite good! It was still slightly annoying, so we turned the WN machine on and didn't hear a thing.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/marpac-dohm-original-sound-conditioner-trade/3263995?Keyword=white+noise+machine

To us, the inconveniences far outweighed the positives (especially that bathroom!) of booking this stateroom. Enjoy! :)

Edited by Iamthesea

Thanks Jenna...did not realize the Infinity was not covered. I am going to have to rethink our next booking.

It's not a good a cabin if you are noise sensitive, you cannot control, nor will anyone else try to control how much noise the PH folks make. For us it was just breakfast and the piano, but their dining room is close to the door.

It's the worst choice of cabins if you want hang stuff up, but there is some room for a roll away, and for us the great bathroom made up for all its weaknesses.

Iamthesea...holy cow...what packing planning skills you have!

I just remembered there is a lot of space under the sink too, a little musty smelling, I placed things on towels. But a box with shelving could help. Also the medicine cabinets hold a lot, not shoes of course but more than most.

Edited by hulamoon

This varies by Ship. I know Summit has covers on the Balconies and believe Constellation does (I always forget about Connie). Infinity and Millennium do not.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Connie has covers over the RS balconies and, therefore I assume, the Sky Suites as well. Much prefer Connie with the covered balconies to Infinity without.

Connie has covers over the RS balconies and, therefore I assume, the Sky Suites as well. Much prefer Connie with the covered balconies to Infinity without.

Agree, covers are the perfect compromise as you still get sun, but have privacy and some shade.

Hula, which infinity cruise are you booked on? Join us on the 12/5 Panama sailing!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Within the last week almost every SS sold out on our booking. I guess I may deal with the lack on any cover.

Currently we have 9/4 sfo round trip california coastal nine nights! In December I have an eclipse 14 and five day.

I will check it out...I still owe Michael a PC cruise after I rearranged our last one, but I got crazy good rates for December.

We were in 6145, Skysuite, on the Infinity in Dec. from Ft. Lauderdale to Chile (16 nites). It is an amazing SS! Larger than the others on the ship, it is also decorated in the same style as the penthouse.

The balcony is covered. It is huge with full size table & 3 chairs and reclining chairs with footstools. The cover is a fabric type that is secured with wiring. Looks like the covers they use on the Lawn Club.

I would not hesitate to book this room again just for the bathroom. Double sinks, marble tile everywhere, shower & full size tub....and lots of storage.

The closet is smaller but you have an actual hallway/entry area where we left most of our shoes. You didn't see them from the room so it didn't spoil the ambiance. There are plenty of drawers throughout the room.

We were on a 16 night cruise and took clothes for 2 climates plus evening wear.

The real caveat for this room is the electric plugs. There are 3 and 2 of them are English/European 2 pin style. Be sure to bring an adapter or you will just have access to one. :(

Iamthesea...holy cow...what packing planning skills you have!

I just remembered there is a lot of space under the sink too, a little musty smelling, I placed things on towels. But a box with shelving could help. Also the medicine cabinets hold a lot, not shoes of course but more than most.

We did use the space under the sink for things that didn't get used often. I gave my girls the medicine cabinets (The cabinets ARE large enough for shoes :D) and I took the bedroom vanity/desk, plus a couple of the side shelves around the mirror. Some knick knacks on those shelves had been glued down, so the shelves were not usable. :rolleyes:

We did use the space under the sink for things that didn't get used often. I gave my girls the medicine cabinets (The cabinets ARE large enough for shoes :D) and I took the bedroom vanity/desk, plus a couple of the side shelves around the mirror. Some knick knacks on those shelves had been glued down, so the shelves were not usable. :rolleyes:

After I posted that , I thought, maybe women's shoes could fit in there! Also, we had the basket of Pringles and M and M's which we placed in an upper shelf. Our Royal suite the week before did not have them. I checked and most of those items are for sale in the store anyway.I would be truely desperate to eat those rather than call room service or walk to the buffet. They do take up space.

LOL Ours were kept on the credenza in the foyer. We really didn't use that space for much else.

One evening, my daughters decided to stay up later than me. I heard them come in well after midnight. They were whispering and giggling. The next morning I asked what that was all about. :rolleyes: They said they were hungry and were afraid that they would wake me if they ordered room service. Then they decided they would eat the foyer goodies, but again, they were afraid that I would get mad because the items were so costly. I gave them permission if that were to get hungry after midnight, again.:) I told them to please eat them in the bathroom and not wake me.

6145 and 6146 on the Connie do NOT have the canvas cover over the balcony. They are open to the sky!

Thanks much for everyone's input....after watching the video on YouTube of this SS, my husband and I decided that for a 15 day cruise, we may need more space and frankly, since I nap most days, I was afraid of noise from the PH....so we booked a CS instead. I think we got spoiled by the SS1s on S class and GS and OS cabins on Royal as far as space and storage.

All of your Input was invaluable in helping us decide. Btw, the 6146 suite does look lovely and bath looks Insanely great! I am sure it will get scooped up quickly! thanks as always to the great CC members!

Thanks much for everyone's input....after watching the video on YouTube of this SS, my husband and I decided that for a 15 day cruise, we may need more space and frankly, since I nap most days, I was afraid of noise from the PH....so we booked a CS instead. I think we got spoiled by the SS1s on S class and GS and OS cabins on Royal as far as space and storage.

All of your Input was invaluable in helping us decide. Btw, the 6146 suite does look lovely and bath looks Insanely great! I am sure it will get scooped up quickly! thanks as always to the great CC members!

You will LOVE the Celebrity Suite! We haven't been in the Celebrity Suite since they've added balconies, but it can only have made them even better. If you have a choice, try to take a forward facing suite. If also possible try to avoid the suites on deck 9. We were on the Constellation in 9096 and didn't have a choice, but I recall reading about a tapping noise coming from the ceiling. I really wasn't concerned as noises don't particularly bother me, but I do recall spending a lot of time trying to figure out where that tapping was coming from. If I recall it was only mentioned about the Constellation and again that was in 2008.

In terms of the Celebrity Suite (on M-Class ships) the size is somewhere between a Grand and Owners on Royal, but trust me, it beats an Owner's Suite in terms of just about everything, especially the overall decor and design of the cabin, except maybe the bathroom. The bathroom in the CS is somewhat tight. It has two sinks, too close together for my taste, and the tub is too deep, as it is a combination with the shower. I know you will be spoiled by the Celebrity Suite. Enjoy your cruise.

Steve