Personal Belongings while on Excursions

michtrif

So what happens to your personal belongings when you go on an excursion that is water-related?

We will be in Ocho Rios next week and I am nervous to leave my phone/wallet/seapass and other belongings behind while I am water rafting or climbing the falls.

I am sure they must have a plan... can anyone fill me in?

you do not need your phone for anything. go into a big sporting good store, you will find a plastic waterproof container a little bit bigger than a deck of cards. they are usually found where the kayaks and canoes are. You can hold your id, sea pass cards, and cash and credit card.Cost is about 12 dollars. you can go underwater with it while it has a nylon lanyard..

I agree. We take our seapass, ID, one credit card, and $20 cash. The plastic containers are also available in the ship's logo store or Sea Trek.

Leave your phone in your safe. If anything will be stolen it's your phone. The ONE time I took my phone on a water excursion I forgot it was in my pocket, and my phone took a swim with me.:eek:

Leave your phone in your safe. If anything will be stolen it's your phone. The ONE time I took my phone on a water excursion I forgot it was in my pocket, and my phone took a swim with me.:eek:

I was planning to use my phone as my camera.... How will I prove to everyone that this vacation really happened. :p

but seriously, I wonder if they still make those underwater disposables?

Edited by michtrif

I was planning to use my phone as my camera.... How will I prove to everyone that this vacation really happened. :p

I see your point. We purchased a small digital camera for that purpose. Takes better pictures, comes with a wrist strap, cheaper, and a lot easier to replace.

Enjoy your cruise.

We just upgraded our phones.

So we take the old I phones as our cameras and if we lose we would be mad but not heart broken.

DH has a water wallet in his zippered swim shorts or Khaki pants depending on the excursion and money and sea pass cards in here. ( We protect the DH).

If we take ship towels and change of clothes we lock them in our Kyss lockable beach bag that we secure to a chair or something that doesnt move.

But if we are doing an excursion like the amazing race in Cozumel we would rent a locker and put non-valuables in it.

Safe travels.

Yes they still make them. Check online or Walmart. Don't buy them on the ship. 2x to 3x more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what happens to your personal belongings when you go on an excursion that is water-related?

We will be in Ocho Rios next week and I am nervous to leave my phone/wallet/seapass and other belongings behind while I am water rafting or climbing the falls.

I am sure they must have a plan... can anyone fill me in?

Leave those things in your safe and only carry your sea pass and what you really need with you.

There are lots of great waterproof digital cameras for 100-150.00. No need for a cheapo disposable. Like others said we leave wallets and phones on ship. Take ID, cash and a credit card in a waterproof container. There are all kinds of them available.

We don't bring any valuables that won't fit in our pockets. I only buy swim trunks for DH that have a secure pocket, and he keeps our ship IDs, a few dollars, and a credit card on his person. I keep a very few dollars in my pocket (I won't buy a cover up that doesn't have pockets), but I feel like my pockets are less secure.

In addition to that, we carry either a backpack or a tote bag containing ship's beach towels, a disposable camera, and sunscreen. Since DH became a diabetic, we've started carrying packs of cheese crackers or peanuts, but we buy bottles of water when we want them. If our tote bag disappeared, as another poster said, we'd be upset . . . but not devestated.

A change of clothes is absolutely not necessary. In a water-oriented port, pretty much all the guys will be wearing swim trunks /tee shirts, while the ladies are wearing bathing suits and dress-type cover-ups. You'll dry in a hurry. Anyway, where would you change clothes?

We got a waterproof digital camera and it has been one of the best $100 we've ever spent! We used it just today to take pictures at a pool party my son was invited to! Took it right in the pool with us and got great photos of my kids playing! If you are able to spend the extra cash on one, I definitely would. An added benefit is that you cell phone will be safe in your cabin.

We never leave the ship without our cell phones! That is your lifeline if anything was ever to happen! I would rather risk of losing my phone then losing my line of communication in a foreign place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely take a camera to the Falls. One of our most treasured family photos was taken there by our guide up the falls. I was very reluctant to hand over my digital camera to him out of fear he would drop it in the water but he did an awesome job with it. I didn't have a waterproof holder for my wallet so unfortunately his tip was pretty wet:)

you do not need your phone for anything.

I don't need my phone for anything, you don't, but that's not true for others. Annoyingly I find so many people, the phone is their primary camera. (My niece asked me to take some photos of her twin's first birthday party. Unforunately, I didn't bring a ball bat to beat down all the 12 year olds with Iphones in the babies face ;). (Kidding, I would have used a plastic ball bat if any bat :p)

I've found most water excursions have a dry place and they are anxious to please for tips. I've not had a problem.

. . . Annoyingly I find so many people, the phone is their primary camera. . . . .

I agree! A comedian on our last cruise commented on that - wondering what those same people would think if they hired a wedding photographer who showed up with only a phone!

We never leave the ship without our cell phones! That is your lifeline if anything was ever to happen! I would rather risk of losing my phone then losing my line of communication in a foreign place.
And who said that the can-do attitude that discovered and settled America is dead?

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

On our last cruise, we didn't take our phones with us. I got back and read about the man who got left in a port. He had a phone and I thought right then that mine is going with me next time. I bought one of the waterproof bags on amazon and plan to use this when I need it. I also have a samsung galaxy s5 and it is sort of waterproof. Hope everything works as planned.