Just back... RANT about cabin steward & prepaid gratuities!

QTPieRye

I know I'll catch some flak for this, but why wouldn't someone simply take the dirty glass up to the Lido to get rid of it if it were so bothersome? I swear, I think folks just look for stuff to get bent out of shape about. So much energy expended with no good reason.

I know I'll catch some flak for this, but why wouldn't someone simply take the dirty glass up to the Lido to get rid of it if it were so bothersome? I swear, I think folks just look for stuff to get bent out of shape about. So much energy expended with no good reason.

Why should a paying guest inconvenience his time and energy to compensate for a stateroom steward's shortcomings when he should be following the basic responsibilities of his position? Hounding and interrogating a passenger about visiting the Guest Services desk is uncalled for.

Edited by Pixelate

Okay, help me with this. The OP says she had a bad Stewart on this cruise. Okay, I've been on 5 Carnival cruises in never had an issue with a stewart as I make it my busy to meet them day one (something I learned here on CC).

But now here is my question. How do you stop a gratuity? They always show up on you SS account at the end of the cruise when you view you final bill.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forums mobile app

Okay, help me with this. The OP says she had a bad Stewart on this cruise. Okay, I've been on 5 Carnival cruises in never had an issue with a stewart as I make it my busy to meet them day one (something I learned here on CC).

But now here is my question. How do you stop a gratuity? They always show up on you SS account at the end of the cruise when you view you final bill.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forums mobile app

I've been on 30 cruises in less than five years. I've had two horrific stewards and a couple that were "adequate." Simply because you haven't had one in your limited experience doesn't mean they don't exist. Lurking around hallways for them on the first day, paying your gratuities upfront or even "bribing" the steward as suggested here will not change the way said associate works.

To remove them, you visit the Guest Services desk and request them to be removed. Simple.

Just for the record, had I actually had a single conversation with the cabin steward and an appropriate time (not when walking out late for dinner or when trying to get off the ship in the morning), I certainly would have mentioned the dishes. Yes, I am well aware that I could have put the can in the trash and put the glass out in the hall.... by Day 2, he should have been well aware of the same :D

I would not have let this go for the entire duration of the cruise. My vacation time is far too valuable to spend it in this way. While I agree that the steward was not performing his job very well, he was also no given much of an opportunity to improve.

Given the confrontation and exchange with the steward after I did complain, I am thankful I did not complain earlier.... as I would NOT have wanted him in my cabin the remainder of the cruise.

Although frustrating' date=' the steward was doing his job as he was trained to do.

Stewards, in most cases, will NOT touch any food/drink item. If you have even a miniscule amount of liquid left, and it is obviously no longer good (ie. a frozen cocktail, for example), they will NOT touch it or remove the glass. Otherwise, had you NOT been finished - they would get into trouble and have to pay to buy you another drink. If you empty the glass in the sink, they will remove it.

Likewise, they will not remove any cans/bottles (or almost anything else) unless they are in the trash. Some people might refill a bottle with water (which I did on my last cruise, because Bon Voyage lost my order for water), and then... you guessed it, the steward might get a complaint for throwing away something a guest wanted or was saving for some reason.

So as frustrating as it is, I have found that most stewards are far more cautious about what they will/will not touch/remove than are hotel cleaning staff. If it needs to be thrown away or removed, throw it in the trash or empty it. Otherwise, it might stay there as long as you do!

As far as the towels? No excuse for that one.[/quote']

We have found the same to be true on all of our CCL cruises. We have learned to always empty our glasses or they won't take them. Also, we've found that, instead of just making eye contact, when we engage them in conversation; i.e., explaining that they can take the glasses, or we'd like more ice, etc.,we find they always are able to accommodate us. We are also people who never mind if we don't see our steward during the week.

While this may normally be true, our cabin steward took the cans I had placed on the countertop on our last cruise. I had intended to take them home for recycling and they were gone everyday. I also bring plastic cups for our cabin since I won't touch the glasses in the room. I don't trust that they are cleaned properly.

You are very wise ! I was custodial manager for 33+ years and learned that even the best employee would cut corners if rushed. On more then one occasion I'd find someone cleaning the restroom sinks with the same brush they had just used to clean the toilet!! Yuck !!

I have often wondered about what shortcuts room stewards might take to get cabins ready for turnover in short time between guests leaving and next set of guests arriving. Especially now with the FTTF requiring some cabins to be done even faster. I would never drink out of a glass in a cabin. Paper cups are one of the first things I pack regardless of what cruise line I'm on.

I have not read all responses, so sorry if this has been suggested yet or not, or even if it is possible.

I agree with OP, this was very poor service from the room steward, and I understand after the initial conversation, that she was hesitant to complain further because she would not want him back in her room. If I was not satisfied with the service or lack of it, I would have gone to guest services and made a complaint, and if they refused to remove the prepaid gratuity, I would have asked for a replacement steward who was worthy of that fee. Actually I would never want to remove that gratuity, but would prefer it went to someone who deserved it.

I have had mostly excellent stewards and a couple of ones who just did their job, and sometimes barely, but the basics were always covered so I never felt that I wanted to remove or lower that gratuity. In this case though, I think I might have kept pushing for some resolution.

Can you request a new room steward? and if so, do you do it through housekeeping or through guest services?

Edited by SMSACE6

I have absolutely no need to speak to the steward. I just want them to do their job - make the bed, clean the bathroom, leave clean towels.

If I need something, I leave a post-it on the vanity or bathroom mirror. It's always worked very well for me.

I don't pre-pay tips and don't give "bribes" when I board and I've usually had excellent service. Some times, it's only been "good" but that's good enough for me. They have a ridiculous number of cabins to care for these days.

I once brought a glass of juice down one morning intending to drink it later and it was removed. My experience more recently has been like others - they don't remove containers that aren't empty.

If I bring a wine glass to the cabin, that empty glass has been removed and replaced daily.

When I get the plate of chocolates as a Platinum gift, I put them in the hallway to be picked up. Otherwise, they'll sit on the counter the entire cruise.

The stewards have too much to do to try to figure out what you're done with and what you want to keep!

Now, dirty towels on the floor would bother me. I usually re-hang mine (because I can re-use them) and they still are replaced with clean ones!

And to the person who said they were going to take the empty cans home to recycle, Carnival sorts every little piece of trash down in the bowels of the ship. They do the recycling. No need to carry your trash home!

I don't care anything about meeting the room steward either and twice never did. Didn't bother me because he/she did their job and I understand they may not have time to talk to everyone. However if they didn't properly care for my room coupled with never meeting them only to find a way to talk to me AFTER they get wind that I complained, then yes the whole combination of things totally justifies the OPs feelings including when they finally found time to speak. It wasnt just the glass. The steward had several other shortcomings.

As far as boarding with food, I distinctly remember stopping at Cold Stone Creamery in San Juan last year and making it my point to finish my ice cream only to see a whole family board with leftovers from wherever they ate. In fact my husband even commented that they wouldn't be allowed to bring that food back onboard as they walked passed us but damn if they didn't. Nobody said a word.

I've just completed the post-sailing auto generated survey by CCL..... who knows if anyone actually reads it or not. Oh well, I'm over it. Thanks for allowing me to vent..... I'm off to planning my next cruise out of San Juan :)

I've just completed the post-sailing auto generated survey by CCL..... who knows if anyone actually reads it or not. Oh well, I'm over it. Thanks for allowing me to vent..... I'm off to planning my next cruise out of San Juan :)

No problem at all. Thanks for sharing your experience! As you're looking for cruises from San Juan, you may want to give Celebrity a look. They have some very nice itineraries and if you book an oceanview or higher, you qualify for their 1-2-3-GO promotion where you can select a free drink package, prepaid gratuities or up to $300 onboard credit. If you book Concierge, Aqua or higher, you can select all three.

Two things to me at least are questionable. First if the things happend as OP says why wait till day 5 of 5 day cruise to say somthing to guest services. Secondly how did OP's son and his gf bring food from DQ on board from a port of call.

That was going to be my question, you can't bring open food back on the ship. They should have dealt with the other issues of not cleaning though.

We've noticed the stewards do not remove any glasses if they have any liquid left in them. I guess they are afraid you aren't finished. Now we just empty the glass in the bathroom sink and leave the dirty glass in the sink. This way there is no mistaking we are through with the drink. After a day and the drink hadn't been removed I would just ask the steward to please remove it. We seem to see ours every time we walk down the hall. Not worth getting upset over.

That was going to be my question, you can't bring open food back on the ship. They should have dealt with the other issues of not cleaning though.

Like I said above.... it surprised me too, but you most DEFINITELY CAN, and they DID bring back Dairy Queen from Grand Cayman :)

No problem at all. Thanks for sharing your experience! As you're looking for cruises from San Juan, you may want to give Celebrity a look. They have some very nice itineraries and if you book an oceanview or higher, you qualify for their 1-2-3-GO promotion where you can select a free drink package, prepaid gratuities or up to $300 onboard credit. If you book Concierge, Aqua or higher, you can select all three.

Wow... thank you for that information. Up until now, we've never gone lower than a premium balcony, but we are thinking for next cruise of going to inside. we just never use the balcony like we think we are going to. For the next cruise, we are cruising with a large group of fellow CC'rs we met on the Liberty in 2013. We are looking forward to reuniting with them!

I have had problems a couple of times and just asked for gratuities to be refunded. I then ask for carnival envelopes and gave what i thought was fair. Some received more and the ones that did less received less. Problem solved. I saw that you have been on around five cruises and do not understand why you waited till day five to ask for refund of gratuities.

Anyway happy sailing!!!

You are very wise ! I was custodial manager for 33+ years and learned that even the best employee would cut corners if rushed. On more then one occasion I'd find someone cleaning the restroom sinks with the same brush they had just used to clean the toilet!! Yuck !!

I have often wondered about what shortcuts room stewards might take to get cabins ready for turnover in short time between guests leaving and next set of guests arriving. Especially now with the FTTF requiring some cabins to be done even faster. I would never drink out of a glass in a cabin. Paper cups are one of the first things I pack regardless of what cruise line I'm on.

You and I must be twins! I watched a 20/20 episode once that made me NEVER EVER drink out of glassware in hotels or anywhere again. They'd clean the toilet with a rag and wash the in room glasses with the same rag!! I take plastic wrapped cups!!! I also get laughed at by the fam but I take a container of Clorox/Lysol wipes and RECLEAN the room and bathroom. Yes I know I'm on vacation but I want the PEACE of mind knowing that yes it was sanitized and I know what I cleaned! Then I can relax! :D

Like I said above.... it surprised me too, but you most DEFINITELY CAN, and they DID bring back Dairy Queen from Grand Cayman :)

I'm thinking banned foods are of fruit origin because of insects. I saw a group on a pier trying to finish their drinks in a coconut. I don't know if they assumed or were told they couldn't bring them on board.

Yes I've dealt with guest services although not as furious as this poster seems to be. She could have escalated it right then and there. Ask for the CEOs contact information or whatever it took. Point is they lied unless that's a brand new policy.

Asking for the CEOs contact information would not settle the matter while they were on the cruise. As I stated before, if they say it can't be done, their word is final and you have no recourse while you are on the ship.

We booked an excursion for three people through the ship. Went to the excursion and was told that only two could go because it was already full. Was told that the third person could go on another excursion for the same price. When we got back to the ship we checked our account. We were charged with a higher rate for the third person. Went to Excursion desk and they denied ever saying that it would be the same price. We kept our cool and didn't get anywhere. The girl that told us it would be cheaper was standing right there and denied ever saying it. We had to pay the higher price.

Edited by RWolver672

As far as boarding with food, I distinctly remember stopping at Cold Stone Creamery in San Juan last year and making it my point to finish my ice cream only to see a whole family board with leftovers from wherever they ate. In fact my husband even commented that they wouldn't be allowed to bring that food back onboard as they walked passed us but damn if they didn't. Nobody said a word.

I think places are more concerned with what is going onto an island, rather than what is going off. I have seen many people re-board eating, drinking, etc. For the first time, as we left the NCL Epic going into Coz, the Mexican police had dogs sniffing out fruit. We were fascinated, and actually watched for 15 min. while waiting for our excursion. The dogs checked every bag at a checkpoint on the pier, and would sit if they smelled a fruit. They were right every time!!