Hurricane season...

naturalbeauty2011

We have cruised during hurricane season.

In 2010 we were supposed to have taken a Western Caribbean cruise out of Tampa. First stop was Key West. We were scheduled to leave at 6 PM. At 8 PM we were still at the dock. I mentioned this to my DH and said that I think we were going to have an itinerary change.

Sure enough. About 15 minutes later the captain came on the PA system and announced that Hurricane Paula was changing our itinerary to an Eastern Caribbean cruise.

We have travelled almost every year in September when school starts back in session.

Only once was our itinerary changed because of a hurricane. No problem for us. There have been times when we missed tender ports because of rough seas, but thay can happen in any season.

I booked a cruise out of San Juan Puerto Rico the first week of November, as I thought Hurricane season ended October 31st. We didn't have an actual hurricane, but we did have steady rain for the 6 days we were in the Caribbean. The seas were rough and the Captain did announce he was sorry, he was trying to skirt around the storms.

I have not booked another cruise to the Caribbean.

Be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws your way. It can be calm as some have posted, it can be rough and stormy. You are on the ocean and it does move.

There are not hurricanes every day. The Caribbean is a big place. You are on a ship so the captain can avoid the hurricane if it happens. If you do get a bit of rough seas, it will be something to talk about and exaggerate when you get home.

Do not worry about it.

DON

Hurricane season lasts 180 days. In a typical season there may be a dozen days impacted by a hurricane. (Less than 1 in 10 chances). Your cruise will be either easern or western Caribbean (reducing it to less than 1 in 20). Even if there is a hurricane in the part of the Caribbean your cruise is scheduled for, it can be diverted --- meaning there is a less than 1 in 20 chance of your experiencing ANY impact -- and whatever impact is likely to be minimal. Yes, you might have a day or two of rough seas --- but that can happen in any sea any time of year.

There are many other things more worthy of concern - such as paying a bit higher fare if you avoid hurricane season.

We have cruised during hurricane season.

In 2010 we were supposed to have taken a Western Caribbean cruise out of Tampa. First stop was Key West. We were scheduled to leave at 6 PM. At 8 PM we were still at the dock. I mentioned this to my DH and said that I think we were going to have an itinerary change.

Sure enough. About 15 minutes later the captain came on the PA system and announced that Hurricane Paula was changing our itinerary to an Eastern Caribbean cruise.

This reminds me of another Hurricane diversion we encountered. :eek:

We were supposed to sail Volendam out of FLL. Huge hurricane swept through and Miami and FLL airports were closed with no announced day they would reopen. Port Everglades was closed. We got a call the ship would go to Port Canaveral and good luck getting a flight seeing we all were jockeying for the few available seats. WE got two first class seats and were so appreciative we were notified of the change fast and early.

We got to the ship, had a great cruise and ten days later when the cruise ended, we came into Port Everglades but were advised to change our air and go directly home rather than stay our normal post cruise in FLL. We were appreciative for the good advice as the city was still cleaning up, there were still areas with no power, not all traffic lights worked..... we went home.

Hurricane season lasts 180 days. In a typical season there may be a dozen days impacted by a hurricane. (Less than 1 in 10 chances). Your cruise will be either easern or western Caribbean (reducing it to less than 1 in 20). Even if there is a hurricane in the part of the Caribbean your cruise is scheduled for, it can be diverted --- meaning there is a less than 1 in 20 chance of your experiencing ANY impact -- and whatever impact is likely to be minimal. Yes, you might have a day or two of rough seas --- but that can happen in any sea any time of year.

There are many other things more worthy of concern - such as paying a bit higher fare if you avoid hurricane season.

For those of us in the snow areas, a good deal of the other 180 days per years, we deal with flight cancellations due to weather. :D

Good evening:D

how many of you have traveled through the Caribbean during hurricane season?

Was it worth it?

Did the captain ever canceled a whole cruise?

How was the seas?

Did it effect your cruise experience in a negative way? if so how?

Thank you for your opinions in advanced.

We've sailed twice during hurricane season.

Very well worth it.

We had no ports cancelled on the first trip, 1 port cancelled on the second. We landed at the second port but the excursions were cancelled so we just wandered around the port for the day.

On each sailing we had 1 day where we could feel the roughness, but nothing unbearable, just a slight loss of balance. Fortunately, no seasickness on our part. I know it's kind of unsympathetic but I found it amusing that "barf bags" were available at all of the elevators.

I'd sail again during hurrican/tropical storm season because I trust the captains' decisions in keeping us as safe and comfortable as possible.

On one November cruise, a tropical storm was forming. In Jamaica (our last port), it started pouring. Two days later,we got back to Miami and just hours after our flight left, the storm was now a hurricane.

The captain will change the itinerary if it looks like the weather will be too rough.

If you don't want to risk a hurricane during the summer, take an Alaskan cruise. Hurricanes never come as far north as California so there's no way Alaska will get the storm.

Most cruises will divert/adjust sail times/etc to avoid storms....but not cancel outright. You may end up with a cruise to nowhere, but you'll still be on a cruise :o

Just keep your eye on the weather and prepare for the unexpected when sailing the Caribbean/Atlantic during hurricane season.

I felt bad for those expecting a Bermuda cruise last summer and ended up in Canada with just flip flops and shorts :eek:

Went down to the ship to see some friends who were diverted here and brought some Tims Coffee and some wind breakers.

For those of us in the snow areas, a good deal of the other 180 days per years, we deal with flight cancellations due to weather. :D

Good point: for those of us in northern US or Canada, booking a cruise between November and April involves as much grounds for concern as booking a Caribbean cruise between June and November.