Doctor on NCL? horror stories?

spunky_girl8

I actually have looked and seen positions for nurses posted, however it never stated that I could do a 1-2 week job once a year. :o I would love that...even if I was slammed or didn't get to do much as far as getting off the ship and everything. I still wouldn't mind it. But they probably want more years experience.

My friend works for HAL she just needs to do 2 stints per yr this yr she is doing 4 ;)

You will not know what they want unless you ask

You know me so well. :D

Yep!:D

I actually have looked and seen positions for nurses posted, however it never stated that I could do a 1-2 week job once a year. :o I would love that...even if I was slammed or didn't get to do much as far as getting off the ship and everything. I still wouldn't mind it. But they probably want more years experience.

I think the type of nursing experience would count for a lot. The doc I spoke to said that he was an ER doc and said that his hospital colleagues were as well. I would certainly ask what type of nursing experience and skills they are looking for but I bet ER has got to be at or near the top. They deal with a little bit of everything which is what is needed if you ask me. Good Luck :)

I think the type of nursing experience would count for a lot. The doc I spoke to said that he was an ER doc and said that his hospital colleagues were as well. I would certainly ask what type of nursing experience and skills they are looking for but I bet ER has got to be at or near the top. They deal with a little bit of everything which is what is needed if you ask me. Good Luck :)

I have worked in the ER for 4 years (although not as a nurse) and for the hospital for 30 years. Maybe that will help my case. :D :p

I have worked in the ER for 4 years (although not as a nurse) and for the hospital for 30 years. Maybe that will help my case. :D :p

I think you need current ER experience ...for HAL at least

Apologies to the OP for going off the rails

Edited by LHT28

DH has gone to see the ship's doctors a couple of times for minor things. We have had insurance, but he has to file with his insurance first to be reimbursed before filing with the cruise insurance as secondary coverage.

His mother had to be hospitalized while on a cruise. His parents' insurance paid for her bills and covered his father's stay in a hotel. It was three nights before she was well enough to fly back to the U.S. When she did, the insurance company arranged the flights and provided a student nurse to accompany them on the flight.

Just one more "fear" post and we seem to have a lot in the past few months. Just in the past month we have had fear of terrorism, fear of rough seas, fear of boredom, fear of Turkey, fear of Europe, fear of crime, fear of rape, fear of Ebola, fear of Norovirus, fear of not having constant internet/cell phone coverage, fear of large ships, fear of small ships, and now we get fear of ship physicians. Guess it just makes me wonder why some folks ever leave home :)

Hank

Perhaps cruise ships should have full time therapists on board. :D

We were on a South American cruise when a few hours out from Falkland Is someone had a severely broken leg. They had to be airlifted off. We were told the doctors could not give General Anesthesia. The passenger rejoined the cruise a few days latter in a cast.

In general it is not so much an issue of skill but an issue of equipment. I have not seen any official notes but one would assume newer, larger ships would be better supplied than smaller ships.

We went on the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Ruby Princess which included the medical center. They have an ICU with pretty much all the bells and whistles of one in a land based hospital. I'm sure there are limitations but I got the impression they could handle emergencies very well.

those who know don't post here.

Here is the job listing for a MD aboard NCL.

https://career8.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=NCLPROD&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=461&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=tVEZiJemL17MH6alwB2CBpIK4Zc%3d

also its not the cost of evacuation from the ship that is expensive. The US Coast Guard does NOT charge for a ship board evacuation.

Every country that I have spoken to about this(about 10) doesn't either. Most countries Coast Guard don't have the capability and its done by their military. It is expensive however if you wind up in some third world's country hospital to get evacuated back to the US. While sometimes its only the cost of a airplane ticket sometimes it the cost of a specialized plane and crew to bring you back. see for example http://www.angelmedflight.com

Also I was a part owner of On-Call International a travel assistance program and we never saw(to my knowledge) a bill from a company for a ship board evacutation to a hospital on shore by helicopter.

If you worked in the ER for 4 years ( not as a nurse) then Security might be the best position for you on a cruise ship!:eek::D

those who know don't post here.

Here is the job listing for a MD aboard NCL.

https://career8.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=NCLPROD&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=461&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=tVEZiJemL17MH6alwB2CBpIK4Zc%3d

also its not the cost of evacuation from the ship that is expensive. The US Coast Guard does NOT charge for a ship board evacuation.

Every country that I have spoken to about this(about 10) doesn't either. Most countries Coast Guard don't have the capability and its done by their military. It is expensive however if you wind up in some third world's country hospital to get evacuated back to the US. While sometimes its only the cost of a airplane ticket sometimes it the cost of a specialized plane and crew to bring you back. see for example http://www.angelmedflight.com

Also I was a part owner of On-Call International a travel assistance program and we never saw(to my knowledge) a bill from a company for a ship board evacutation to a hospital on shore by helicopter.

I guess when my insurance states "evacuation" it means from land to home. I assumed it meant from ship to land as well. Thanks for the information.

We went on the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Ruby Princess which included the medical center. They have an ICU with pretty much all the bells and whistles of one in a land based hospital. I'm sure there are limitations but I got the impression they could handle emergencies very well.

I would take that to mean that the medical centre on board takes ventilators. They are the machines that breath for you. Is this really the case? If so then that is impressive.

I would take that to mean that the medical centre on board takes ventilators. They are the machines that breath for you. Is this really the case? If so then that is impressive.

Not being a dr. or nurse I couldn't identify any of the equipment. :) But the Dr. (who was from the Netherlands) said that they could handle pretty much any emergency on a short term basis. Long term they would probably have to send the patient to a land-based hospital.

Not being a dr. or nurse I couldn't identify any of the equipment. :) But the Dr. (who was from the Netherlands) said that they could handle pretty much any emergency on a short term basis. Long term they would probably have to send the patient to a land-based hospital.

I see.:) thanks