Zaandam 2619 or 7086?

jt58203

About a month and a half ago I booked an Alaska cruise/tour & snagged 2619. I have never cruised in an inside before! I've done my research and am happy with my selection. While doing my almost daily price check (already saved $300 pp!), I noticed now that an outside is available--7086. I've read many great things about that cabin too. If I were to switch, I'd save an additional $79 pp. It's not all about saving money (though it's always a good thing), so I'd like to hear some input on which cabin you would pick and why.

I've booked an inside sideways cabin on my upcoming Princess cruise (Feb. 22) but I'm sure when I return from that 7086 would probably be gone.

I like the location of 2619. I like the idea of 7086 having quick access to the outside.

I've stayed in 2619 several times on every R-class ship, with twice more coming up soon. I love that cabin, and the location right by the mid-ship elevators. I can get outside quickly, too, just by going up that one level.

I don't know the other cabin you're considering, but can't see any downside to 2619.

I've stayed in 2619 several times on every R-class ship, with twice more coming up soon. I love that cabin, and the location right by the mid-ship elevators. I can get outside quickly, too, just by going up that one level.

I don't know the other cabin you're considering, but can't see any downside to 2619.

Thanks, RuthC! I was counting on you to respond to my post. You're the main reason I booked 2619 as you've mentioned this many times. I feel pretty confident that I will not be disappointed.

7086 is an aft facing obstructed view cabin up high on the Navigation deck. Quite a few people on the boards here have mentioned it's almost like having your own private balcony. The obstruction is stairs going up to the next deck. What I realize now is that's the Lido deck/Sea View Pool Area. I'm not much of a pool person, so that doesn't get me all that excited. Actually "almost" like having my own private balcony doesn't do much for me either. I've almost always sailed in balconies (even on the Z in Panama Canal), and I rarely spend time on them.

Edited by jt58203
Grammar; It's probably still bad--sorry!

We stayed in the similar cabin (7056) on Volendam's sister ship - Amsterdam for Alaska - and LOVED IT!! Would highly recommend! Those steps up to the aft Lido pool aren't about the pool at all (not for Alaska anyway:D) but for the easy access to the Lido restaurant, Sea View Bar, and the wide open spaces on the aft of the ship for those amazing Alaska views. And yes, having that aft deck just 5 steps out your door (I counted!) is perfect - we never encountered more than 3 or 4 other people out there at one time; and most of the time, we had it to ourselves. Wonderful panoramic aft views on comfy loungers, out of the wind and rain - just perfect for sailing to the Great Land. For the additional $79/pp, I'd jump on that cabin like white on rice;). Good luck in your decision and do enjoy Alaska - it is one amazing view after another!

We were on the Zaandam for South America and Antarctica, and I can tell you that it is FABULOUS to have quick access to the outside. (We had a balcony in the bow, but we still used the corridor leading to the outside.) If there is narration in the outside public areas, you can get it in your cabin through the radio switch (above the bed, Channel 5) and then when something is announced that you want to see, just dash on out. Plus, with that cabin's being in the rear, you'll have ready access to either port or starboard side.

There are exterior stairways going up and down in the rear, by the way.

We stayed in the similar cabin (7056) on Volendam's sister ship - Amsterdam for Alaska - and LOVED IT!! Would highly recommend! Those steps up to the aft Lido pool aren't about the pool at all (not for Alaska anyway:D) but for the easy access to the Lido restaurant, Sea View Bar, and the wide open spaces on the aft of the ship for those amazing Alaska views. And yes, having that aft deck just 5 steps out your door (I counted!) is perfect - we never encountered more than 3 or 4 other people out there at one time; and most of the time, we had it to ourselves. Wonderful panoramic aft views on comfy loungers, out of the wind and rain - just perfect for sailing to the Great Land. For the additional $79/pp, I'd jump on that cabin like white on rice;). Good luck in your decision and do enjoy Alaska - it is one amazing view after another!

Absolutely an excellent post and explanation of this area of the ship!

Those two aft facing cabins on the Volendam and Zaandam used to be categorized as Cat I (inside) and were one of the great bargains of the seas. Then, someone got wise and they became a DD. But, I think they got complaints because they don't have a tub and they have been re categorized again I believe. They are great for the Inside Passage but don't ride particularly well in rough seas. I did a rough Pacific Crossing in one several years ago and it wasn't good 😢. The proximity to the Lido is great and for one person they there is plenty of room. I think for two they are cramped. There is a small love seat and not much bathroom space. Being able to get out that aft door quickly is a real bonus. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed in 7086 several times and absolutely loved it.

Easy access to the lido and beyond.

Almost seems like a private balcony at the stern. We have even had the staff bring a table and chairs down for us. :)

Rockfan2

We booked 7083, the cabin next to 7086 on the Zaandam for our christmas southamerica and antarctica cruise. Because balcony cabins will be to expensive we looked for a cabin where we can get off easily.

Because many people walked around on the promenade deck in front of the cabin windows we decidede not to take these cabins and then found these two cabins on deck 7.

It looks like it is very easy to get out and up to the pool deck.

Here is a picture of the Zaandam.

1161086417.jpg

We booked 7083, the cabin next to 7086 on the Zaandam for our christmas southamerica and antarctica cruise. Because balcony cabins will be to expensive we looked for a cabin where we can get off easily.

Because many people walked around on the promenade deck in front of the cabin windows we decidede not to take these cabins and then found these two cabins on deck 7.

It looks like it is very easy to get out and up to the pool deck.

Here is a picture of the Zaandam.

1161086417.jpg

Nice Photo, and indeed is a great location. 7086 was only available for a day or so before someone booked it. We had already decided to keep our prized inside room. My DH really prefers the location of 2619 and wanted a more spacious cabin.