Spirit LA - LA via Auckland

Emtbsam

Friday-Rarontonga Cook Islands. It looked very beautiful as we approached, but, apparently, the swell is too great to allow tender transfer. We have a medical emergency ( not me this time) which requires a single tender transfer, but that will probably be the only one today.

It has now starting to rain and it is so heavy that we cannot see any of the island!

Edited by englishusa

We had a slight snafu checking in for our Air New Zealand flight at LAX. Since we are flying into New Zealand but leaving by ship, they needed proof that we would be leaving the country. They wanted to see our Silversea ticket which is part of the silver booklet that we got. I don't carry that in my handbag and thought it was in the checked luggage, so I was quite concerned that we would have a problem. They wouldn't accept our luggage tags as proof. Finally, I found the confirm from our travel agent which satisfied them. I never thought that this could be a problem! Live and learn.

We highly recommend Air New Zealand. The Premium Economy section offers tremendous comfort and is much, much better than Premium Economy on other airlines. Business Class is much more like First Class. The food, wine and service were excellent. There is an extra foam pad that is placed on the bed when you are ready to sleep that truly makes bed comfortable. I am rarely able to sleep on a plane, but I did get 6 hours+ of restful sleep this time.

It's rainy and hot in Auckland. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Thursday.

We had a slight snafu checking in for our Air New Zealand flight at LAX. Since we are flying into New Zealand but leaving by ship, they needed proof that we would be leaving the country.

Bon voyage Victoria! :) Hope u and Bob have a lovely cruise and I look forward to seeing u in Sydney!

Cheers

Jennifer

We on the other hand, had no issues checking in for our one way flight on fijiairways. Great flight except that they had two medical emergencies that I had to attend. Nothing too serious, fainting spell and too much

We are at the auckland Hilton. Very nice. We walked around then had dinner at the hotel restaurant "Fish". It is very very good. The fresh oysters are beyond outstanding. I am a stuffed pig.

Tomorrow we are going to take the ferry to waiheke island.

Another port that we have had cancelled. Too much wind to enter Napier harbour. Missed the tour to Boutique wineries.Now heading to Picton.

Sorry to hear that the port was missed, you would have loved the wineries. And in the immortal words of Bumble (David Lloyd of England and Lancashire Cricket), Napier - a magnificent town designed and built by Arthur Deco.

What a beautiful town.

I went on the best tour ever. A "Fresh from the Wharf Cooking Class"-FANTASTIC!!

Just 5 of us but the best time was had by all at " The Akoroa Cooking School". Just a few steps from the tender dock. Saw the catch of the day filleted in front of us and prepared at the school along with 5 courses which were delicious paired with great New Zealand wines.

Weather is now very good with extremely smoooth seas. Arrived at Port Chalmers this am and boarded "The Taieri Gorge Railway" ship side. Took us through Dunedin and then on to the Taieri Gorge. Beautiful scenery with lots of rocks and trees with pastures and sheep. However the total journey t and fro was 6 hours. Picnic type box lunch on the train with wine of course. The crew was so friendly. You can only see so much rocks and trees before getting a little bored

IMG_0111_zpsfd5e2a59.jpg[/url]

IMG_0108_zps59bdb57d.jpg

IMG_0110_zps6724581a.jpg

Dunedin Train Station.

Edited by englishusa

We just had to acknowledge your cooking school... Fish looked like Gulf Red Snapper, one of our favorites. Glad you are staying well nourished.

Stay well, and think of us when you remind George and Rachel of the 'seat cover' dinner, quite a night with good friends to remember.

Edited by bsrkent
Can't spell