upgrade offer

may1021

I have received 2 emails offering a paid upgrade on first come basis. I have called twice within an hour of receiving the emails and have been told twice that upgrade is no longer available. Have been on many cruises but this is the first time I have received emails like this. Do these upgrades usually sell out this fast. Believe this was upgrade from veranda to signature suite for $320. Think only difference in rooms was more space but unclear. Did not research farther as it wasn't available.

I have received 2 emails offering a paid upgrade on first come basis. I have called twice within an hour of receiving the emails and have been told twice that upgrade is no longer available. Have been on many cruises but this is the first time I have received emails like this. Do these upgrades usually sell out this fast. Believe this was upgrade from veranda to signature suite for $320. Think only difference in rooms was more space but unclear. Did not research farther as it wasn't available.

HAL Inventory sends an email blast for upsells. First to answer gets the stateroom.

HAL offers upsells via various ways.

Sometimes they will call the TA and the TA will their client. If the client is home, upsell will be discussed. If client agrees - deal is done. If client isn't interested -- they move onto the next person to call.

Other times HAL will send out bulk e-mails for upsells. And you need to respond right away -- as you have discovered.

I received an email last week offering an upsell from signature suite to Neptune suite for 299 each on Feb 15th Eurodam sailing. Since I get my email on my phone I responded within 2 hours and had a choice of 4 Neptune suites in which to choose from. I agree , these offers go quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, they can have those upsell offers accepted quickly. Calling back within an hour could well be too late. They send the offer to a number of people at once. It is first come, first served.

I've already told our TA our maximum fee if that wonderful upsell offer comes in. That way, they can accept immediately rather than try and get us across the country. It would be so darn incredible if this happens..... I hope that the TA's get a chance as well as the cruise line agents.

Karen

I look at upsell offers this way:

1. They happen and then sometimes they don't happen. Some people get them frequently some don't. The only consistency is inconsistency. Attempts to rationalize or calculate chances of getting an offer or second or third offer will probably lead to confusion and frustration.

2. Not all upsell offers are created equally. Some offers are great, literally cents on the dollar. Some offers are not so great, like the full fare difference between the booked and offered category.

3. Be ready to accept or decline an offer immediately. Understand the desire, maybe bordering on the need, to seek advice or validation here but this board is replete with postings of opportunities missed. Bottom line is only the cruiser can judge their level of tolerance. If it is affordable and attractive go for it. If not then let it go.

4. Book the category/cabin you want in the first place. While it's nice to dream and even hope you'll get an upsell or upgrade offer be happy from day one with your booking.

Edited by Randyk47

When I booked:

HAL asked me whether I would allow HAL to move me to a "better" room without asking first.(or something along that line)

I told them no. I was satisfied with my room choice, but feel free to offer...

The HAL rep replied...respectfully, no, either or. Either you approve of moving or not.

I know if that is not what we are discussing here, but it may influence them in who to offer upgrades to?

We picked our SR on our Holiday Collector Cruise last year but stjill received an Upsell offer for Verandah Suite to Signature Suite via my iPhone, jumped on it promptly and got it, great choice.

We generally get these offers with HAL since we book through a PCC. I would think since they go so fast booking through a TA you may take the chance of loosing the option due to time delays.

On one occasion, while we were in Ft Lauderdale prior to a cruise, we received an Upsell offer but I was not getting WiFi to well on my iPhone so I missed the chance, this was the day before the cruise departure.

Edited by mllewis48

When I booked:

HAL asked me whether I would allow HAL to move me to a "better" room without asking first.(or something along that line)

I told them no. I was satisfied with my room choice, but feel free to offer...

The HAL rep replied...respectfully, no, either or. Either you approve of moving or not.

I know if that is not what we are discussing here, but it may influence them in who to offer upgrades to?

When I pick my cabin, I often tell them to check the box for "do not upgrade". I do this since often an upgrade could put me in a cabin that I consider less desirable than the one I selected. Now, if the next level (or two) upward in ranking has all cabins that I would rather have, the I allow for upgrades.

As to upsells, I still receive them, even if I checked the box for do not upgrade. I am very proactive however and call my HAL PCC about 4 weeks prior to sailing to ask about upsells and alert him to the fact that I would be interested. He passes that on to the upsell department. On my upcoming cruise, this worked great and I received a call from my PCC prior to the mass email about upsells going out and I was able to get a great SA cabin location.

DaveOKC