What's the Nicest Thing a Carnival Team Member Ever Did For You?

winddawn

We just got back from our very first cruise on the Elation. At the muster drill my mother signed up for mobility assistance in case of evacuation, as she is elderly and uses a cane.

We thought that was all there was to it, but on the last day the alert young man in charge of Special Assistance spotted us in the crowd. It turns out Mom was entitled to wait in a lounge and then get wheeled off. This was great as she was utterly exhausted and shuffling down the long gangway would have been a painful ordeal.

We didn't know a thing about the service and would have missed it except for his diligence--I'm waiting for the comment forms so I can praise the Special Assistance team!

We were on the Liberty, last fall, and had YTD. The very first evening, we had to wait over an hour and a half for a table. We didn't complain and just hung out in the lobby for awhile. Hubby went to check after about 45 minutes into it, just because 2nd dining was being sat and he thought we may have been forgotten. He wasn't rude, just asked and they were so apologetic about our wait. When they finally buzzed us, again, they apologized profusely. As we were leaving after dinner, once again, they stopped us and apologized again. We told them it was fine. We understood that it could be chaotic at times and that we were not upset at all.

The next day, we came back to our room around 3:00 pm from the pool. When we walked in our room, there was a plate of small desserts with a card from the hostess that said, "We appreciate you being understanding last night. Please enjoy these."

I thought it was very kind and that extra touch let us know that they really do hate making you wait and that they appreciated us being patient.

We have had this happen on a couple of occasions when we had anytime dining, when we were with a larger group (over 4)

We met an outstanding and personable waiter on the Liberty in March 2015, his name was Russell. So very nice and considerate. Made sure we had our drinks from the bar and all. We saw him a couple of other times around the ship and he would stop and ask us how things were going and if we were enjoying ourselves.

We booked a quick getaway on Paradise in September of that same year. I was very surprised when Russell was right in my path when I came out of the women's restroom on Lido deck! I game him a hug, he asked when our dinner was and which DR. I mentioned that it was DH's birthday the next day. Sure enough, he came over to see us and sing happy birthday to DH. He came over a couple of other times too just to say hello. Hope we run into him again sometime.

I love this thread!!

On my last cruise I was walking on the track on day 2 and saw a woman stretching with a Carnival name tag and so I asked if she was starting an activity up there. Turns out she was the ship's physician doing her morning routine. I ran into her a couple of times throughout the week and even said hello to her when coming back from port at her office. I had mentioned my daughter's birthday on the last night of the cruise. Surprise! She ordered us a cake to celebrate in the MDR.

• 1 month later...
I am so loving these stories!! I don't have anything to add, except for one little thing that made me smile yesterday. The bf and I decided this week to "jump ship" and cancel our next RCI cruise and book our first Carnival cruise, which I did yesterday. Earlier in the week I had been to the Carnival site and set up an account so I could receive emails and such from them.

So yesterday this wonderful lady named Yolande calls me and introduces herself, said she saw that I had been looking for cruise info and was new to Carnival. She asked me if she could help me book anything, and I laughingly told her she was just a few hours too late, that I had gone ahead and booked earlier in the day with my TA. She actually *cheered*, lol. I thought, "Am I the millionth cruiser, or something??" :-p She welcomed me to Carnival, told me about all the fun ("FUN!!") we're going to have, and how downright thrilled the entire Carnival corporation is that we have decided to cruise with them. :D

It seems so silly, but it really made me immediately stop second-guessing our decision to switch! And keeps making me smile when I think about it. :)

-gina-

I realize this is a year old but I wanted to tell you that Yolande was the EXACT reason I booked on Carnival too!

I had searched up the prices, then backed out (we have done 13+ cruises and only one was with Carnival and I got a little nervous so I just closed the website and went back to my RCCL searching) She called, was soooo wonderful to deal with that I couldn't help it. I put a deposit on a b2b cruise for 2017 without hesitation.

She was wonderful! Sadly, she is no longer a PVP... now the girl I have is fine I suppose but its almost like I have gone from having a brand new stunning HD4D TV, and then getting a black and white old school one. Its fine and it works.. but I miss the bells and whistles...

Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that I agreed totally with you and that she was without doubt the reason I booked.

Chass

We have had many experiences with Carnival crew going above and beyond for us.

On our Sunshine cruise last May, we spent a lot of the time chatting with Jaime Dee, the cruise director. We posted to her public facebook page that we were sailing in January on the Sensation (while she was aboard a ship in Sydney) and the second night of our Sensation cruise, she sent us champagne and a fruit basket to our cabin to welcome us back.

On our Ecstacy cruise, one of the bartenders, Carlton, had our cabin steward decorate my daughters cabin with dozens of towel animals for her 18th birthday.

These are just two of the examples of the personal service we have experienced from the amazing crew on Carnival!

Forgot one special one:

Also on the Sunshine, our MDR waiter, Orlin, was so attentive. He heard me mention on the first night that I cruise mainly for the creme brulee. He made sure I had one for the next 6 nights. I don't know what he had to do to to barder for them, but I am forever grateful!

Edited by Mommabear2Five

I've only cruised twice so far, but will be remedying that soon!

On our first cruise we had the most wonderful room steward. I never thought I'd forget his name but alas, I have.

He quickly nicknamed my sister..as Seester. He'd holler down the hall at her "Seester! Don't you act like you don't know me!"

He was great at telling us where the rest of the family might be (this was a cruise with 6 of us) just by talking to them in the halls.

We all communicated with sticky notes on the mirror. He joined in and would add little notes to ours just to say hello :D We just loved him and he was a big part of our enjoyment of that first cruise.

On my second cruise, even though I'd youtubed it and thought I had it down, I could not remember how to help my boys tie their ties. The room steward happened to come by at the perfect moment, noticed we were having issues, and taught my boys how to do it. It was such a sweet gesture and they still know how..well one of them for sure at least because I've seen him do it. I can't exactly speak for the other one :rolleyes:

I am so deeply appreciative of the above and beyond these folks go to for us on a cruise. I wish I were super wealthy and could afford some shockingly high tip like you see on those shows that surprise waitresses or something. I do my best though :)

Just have to add a new "nicest thing!" On our February Splendor cruise dd27 (special needs) and I were sitting at the Plat/Diamond past guest gathering. She happened to be the youngest person in the room, (and looks way younger than she is) and we were sitting by the entrance to the lounge. Kevin the CD stops by our table and begins chatting with us. Seems he is also from Long Island, so we made an immediate connection with that. DD was doing her word search book, and Kevin sat down next to her, and for the next 10 minutes had a contest to see who could find each word first. Kevin left to talk with other guests, and a few minutes later the assistant came over with a ship on a stick for her! She was so excited! Kevin is leaving Splendor to go on Ecstacy, and we wish him best wishes on his "new" ship.

Just have to add a new "nicest thing!" On our February Splendor cruise dd27 (special needs) and I were sitting at the Plat/Diamond past guest gathering. She happened to be the youngest person in the room, (and looks way younger than she is) and we were sitting by the entrance to the lounge. Kevin the CD stops by our table and begins chatting with us. Seems he is also from Long Island, so we made an immediate connection with that. DD was doing her word search book, and Kevin sat down next to her, and for the next 10 minutes had a contest to see who could find each word first. Kevin left to talk with other guests, and a few minutes later the assistant came over with a ship on a stick for her! She was so excited! Kevin is leaving Splendor to go on Ecstacy, and we wish him best wishes on his "new" ship.

What a great story! That's a perfect example of the little things Carnival staff do for passengers that really make a difference.

I've only cruised twice so far, but will be remedying that soon!

On our first cruise we had the most wonderful room steward. I never thought I'd forget his name but alas, I have.

He quickly nicknamed my sister..as Seester. He'd holler down the hall at her "Seester! Don't you act like you don't know me!"

He was great at telling us where the rest of the family might be (this was a cruise with 6 of us) just by talking to them in the halls.

We all communicated with sticky notes on the mirror. He joined in and would add little notes to ours just to say hello :D We just loved him and he was a big part of our enjoyment of that first cruise.

On my second cruise, even though I'd youtubed it and thought I had it down, I could not remember how to help my boys tie their ties. The room steward happened to come by at the perfect moment, noticed we were having issues, and taught my boys how to do it. It was such a sweet gesture and they still know how..well one of them for sure at least because I've seen him do it. I can't exactly speak for the other one :rolleyes:

I am so deeply appreciative of the above and beyond these folks go to for us on a cruise. I wish I were super wealthy and could afford some shockingly high tip like you see on those shows that surprise waitresses or something. I do my best though :)

Those are perfect examples of how Carnival crew members feel about passengers--like they are family. I guess living on a ship for so long makes them long for family moments, and how special it is they created memories for your boys. I'll bet your sons will always remember that. Isn't that what cruising is really all about?

On a Carnival cruise several years ago, my wife came down with a bad cold during the cruise and didn't feel well enough to attend dinner in the MDR. Our waiter asked where she was and I advised him that she was not feeling well. At the end of my dinner, without any request from me, he brought me a huge bowl of chicken soup to take back to my wife in the cabin. Both my wife and I were so appreciative of his thoughtfulness!!

On a Carnival cruise several years ago, my wife came down with a bad cold during the cruise and didn't feel well enough to attend dinner in the MDR. Our waiter asked where she was and I advised him that she was not feeling well. At the end of my dinner, without any request from me, he brought me a huge bowl of chicken soup to take back to my wife in the cabin. Both my wife and I were so appreciative of his thoughtfulness!!

What a wonderful gesture!! Thanks for sharing!

I was 13 and on the Queen Elizabeth transatlantic. The first night was rather rough. When the waiter poured green slime on my lamb I had to back away from the table quickly and went to the cabin. He showed up later with an apple for me and took me on a tour of the crew quarters.

It pays to tip a favorite bartender. On one cruise we found a great bartender who we would slide an extra $5 or $10 once in a while. He really worked hard and was quite friendly. Sitting at the bar one day I ordered a frosty Mango Swirl. You know how they always have some of the cocktail left in the blender after filling a glass? They usually dump that to make the next drink. This time he took the liquor bottle, dumped a little more in the leftover, and then he filled another glass with the rest, about 3/4 of a drink. He then slid it over to me with a smile. Not only that, he did it again when that glass was empty after making another guest his drink. I'm a firm believer in tip karma and will always make it a priority to find a great bartender and stick with them throughout the week.

Love this thread! This is why we cruise. We've had so many great things happen I can't even remember the best. I did have a sick 15 month old who became very ill vomiting and diarrhea continuous for 3 days. The ships nurse gave us several bottles of pedialyte for free. (we would have paid). It was the small gesture that reassured me. Also, the Dr. asked several questions when I went down to the Medical Center. I was fully expecting a quarantine (understandably). However, he said because no one else had gotten it already in my party of 5, and it had been three days we were fine. Turns out, the milk on board did not agree with him. He was fixed after removing the milk and just a pedialyte diet.

Edited by missholly24

Recently on the Dream I recognized a bar waiter from my previous cruise on the Triumph. I chatted with him one day on deck. The next night in the show lounge I orders hubby a coke and me one of those peach strawberry smoothie things...he didn't charge for either. :D Darn if I can remember his name though. :confused:

Mikecrass, I enjoyed what you said, when the Carnival lady called and what she said. As the expression goes, it is the "little things" that sometimes count. I am doing RCCL this time, but not because I want to, as I would be doing Carnival if they had the cruise destination I wanted a little earlier.

I just love reading all these stories! I don't have anything out of the ordinary to share- just that I always feel special and a part of Carnival when I cruise. Everyone is so friendly and good at their jobs. I hate going home and leaving all the crew behind.

My experience is small but it made me feel special. There was a drink server who would always find us no matter where we were and get our drinks for us. We had Cheers so we were usually in need of a drink. He'd find us sunbathing by the pool, in the restaurant, at the shows. I was amazed that he was always there; felt like our own, personal server.