How To Set IPAD

TRAVELINGMAN2

Air plane mode.

Or in setting turn off wifi and if you have it cellular.

if you don't have cellular it shouldn't be a issue unless you connect to a wifi service and you would have to do that manually

On your cruise they have a Apple Store/wifi area. if in doubt they will help.

There are also seminars that they hold and are helpful but in reality what they show is nothing new that you wouldn't learn by down loading the IPad usage App. available in App Store for free.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

If your iPad has iOS 8 installed, "Airplane Mode" is probably the easiest (which you can access in "Settings").

If you want to use WiFi, but also want to make sure you don't use expensive cellular roaming data, four items under Airplane Mode is "Cellular".

From there, the first item is "Cellular Data" and you can turn that off. You can also turn Data Roaming off on this screen as well, which isn't the worst idea, no matter where you are (unless you have one of the T-Mobile plans where they don't charge extra for roaming data).

Air Plane Mode , Go to setting at the top see Air Plane Mode , turn it on , also turn off Wi-Fi . If you go off the ship and you find a wi-Fi hotspot just turn on wi-Fi to connect , you can connect on wi-Fi with air plane mode turn on . I assume you don't have a wi-fi only iPad , if you did just turning off wi-Fi is all you have to do. If you have an iPad with a service provider turning on air plane mode will prevent the iPad from connecting to any provider services . Turning on air plane mode turns your iPad to a wi-Fi only iPad and you can control that by turning wi-Fi on or off

I have the iPad 2. I have gone to several classes. I always learn something.

They used to charge for the classes, now they are free. At least, try one.

My husband went, learned about Suri, and wants to upgrade. He may with our OBC on the next cruise. My iPad is so old now, it isn't relevant to the classes.

Anyway, go to the classes, they are fun, and if you are like most people, you won't read the fine print of the manual. Change your background from white to black, and people will think you are neat, and you will know it was just a couple of taps, and knowledge learned at a class.

The easiest way to access air plane mode is to place your finger at the bottom of the screen and sweep up. You will then see a menu bar that shows a air plane. Touch it and it will indicated that air plane mode is on.

Also the Apple seminars on the ship are free.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

thanks for that info about scrolling up from the bottom of the I-pad and finding the little airplane. I have never known about that. See, Cruise Critic people are the best help!

if you look at that bar you will see other icons such as Blu tooth, camera, screen brightness, volume control and a few other things. You can also turn WIFI on and off.

On your keyboard you will also see a happy face, it should be the 2nd button from the left on the bottom. Hit that and you can change your keyboard for access to the emoli, to get back to the regular keyboard hit the button that looks like the world. These are some of the emoli 🍺🍻🍹😏🎷🎊😃🍸😱🍜🐋🎅🎁🎉 there are hundreds of them. Hit the figures at the bottom to get to the different type and then sweep across the page to access the next screen

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

Does your iPad have a SIM card ?

If it does and is like an IPhone then just turn it to data roaming off, been to Europe over 6 times and have never been charge for roaming

This way if you use for pictures ( i believe an IPhone takes better pictures then the iPad , and is easier to use for pictures) the location will be noted

I agree that the iPhone 5 and 6 take great photos, but so does the iPad 2 with Retina display. However, the iPhone is much easier to lug around and handle.

I bought a special iPhone case with cushioned liner, from Shutterfly. I added a strap through some holes in the case. I carry it around like a camera and it feels much safer to use around crowds.

http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-gifts/custom-iphone-cases

I take photos from my iPhone 5 and then when back in the hotel/stateroom at night, I transfer my iPhone photos to my iPad. Two reasons...

#1 - This gives me a back up of my photos in case I lose it (or it's stolen.)

#2 - I can get a better look at the photos and videos that I took. I can then delete any that I do not which to keep and it helps with storage.

If you do not have a phone that you can use, you may want to try an iHandle for your iPad. There are many different make and models, but I ordered mine from here: http://www.caseworksoft.com/ihandle.html Very sturdy and I love it!

I also love reading from my iPad, but it's not very easy out in the sun. I take along my Kindle for outdoor reading. I use my iPad for reading in the stateroom and checking email, the web, etc..

Have fun with your new device!

Edited by Iamthesea

I would like to use my iPad Air for reading books and for taking photos on my upcoming cruise. Would anyone know what settings to put it on so I don't get charged for WIFi and roaming charges? I don't need to check emails while we are away.

Thanks

You don't have to change any settings on an iPad. It is not going to connect to WiFi unless you buy a ship plan and log in. If you have a cellular version with a sim card but don't have any data plan it is not going to roam. If you do have a data plan with a sim card it is not going to roam from your domestic plan unless you buy an international add on to you rdata plan. An iPad is not a phone! You don't have the same concerns about accidental charges that apply to phones!

Edited by Charles4515