What to do in Anchorage?

dcl1710

You left out a lot of information if you want meaningful suggestions.

What to do depends on your interests, budget, physical abilities.

And what is a few days, 3,4,? When are you visiting?

does your ship leave from Whittier or Seward?

You could do a glacier trek and/or white water rafting at Matanuska along with a hike at Independence Mine. Or if you like coastal scenery and activities you could drive to Seward and take in the sights along the way. You might even have time to visit Denali or Homer. Many options available to you.

This link provides stopping points on scenic drives out of Anchorage. Look at the Turnagain Arm drive, Portage Valley, and Matanuska:

http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

Look at THINGS TO DO in that web site.

Many many options .... suggest you do a little research to determine which sights and activities best meet your interests. Personally, I don't care for cities, incl Anchorage so I'd head out of town and start exploring.

Borrow a few Alaska travel books from your library.

Take a drive down the Seward Highway to Mt Alyeska . You can take the chairlift up the mountain and have lunch. If you are of a mind you can do some hiking while you are up the.

Beautiful views, the mountain is right next to the inlet. So mountain on one side and water on the other!

I spent my teen years in Anchorage and have great memories of skiing that mountain:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok sorry for the vague question. We wanted to know if there are parks that the cruises do not take you or special drives like the poster explained. But also if something was really great in Anchorage that is a must see, we wanted information. But we are leaning to the outdoors because it is Alaska.

Dinner on top of the Captain Cook Hotel is pretty spectacular! Spendy but drinks and desert might also be a fun idea. The Capt Cook is in downtown anchorage and the views overlook the city, the mountains and the inlet, depending on what side of the restaurant you sit on.

I do not believe they are open on Sunday's and reservations are a must!

Still too vague. ie the Tony Knowles Coastal trail in Anchorage offers great views, scenery and possible wildlife sightings but would you enjoy riding a bike?

Check the town web site for ideas.

http://www.anchorage.net/ak/summer-activities

Did you open the link I posted earlier ? In addition to the SCENIC DRIVES I think there's a DESTINATION tab that will provide info on Anchorage sights and activities.

Edited by mapleleaves

If you have a "few days", you may also want to rethink Anchorage. You don't mention where your cruise is out of, but, a one way car rental works out excellent for Seward.

Yep- plenty of people turn their noses up at the costs, but can offer the best use of time and opportunities. (my time is far more valuable than any money :) ). Plenty can be included- Girdwood, mentioned above, Winner Trail as an example, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Conservatory, Prince William Sound boat tours etc etc.

http://www.anchorage.net

Or heading north for the Matsu Valley attractions.

If you have a "few days", you may also want to rethink Anchorage. You don't mention where your cruise is out of, but, a one way car rental works out excellent for Seward.

Yep- plenty of people turn their noses up at the costs, but can offer the best use of time and opportunities. (my time is far more valuable than any money :) ). Plenty can be included- Girdwood, mentioned above, Winner Trail as an example, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Conservatory, Prince William Sound boat tours etc etc.

http://www.anchorage.net

Or heading north for the Matsu Valley attractions.

Agree with All the above (except) Matsu Valley.... Maybe I lived there for too long but what the heck is out there? I suppose you could drive by Sarah Palin's house, she can see Russia from there :D !!!

Well you can see Moose where ever you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Matanuska Glacier is pretty impressive. And a Denali flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna.

Touché! Sometimes what right under your nose is overlooked :) and you can pick up a tourist airplane trip right out of Anchorage. OP did not say what time of year (early season or ??).

Ok sorry for the vague question. We wanted to know if there are parks that the cruises do not take you or special drives like the poster explained. But also if something was really great in Anchorage that is a must see, we wanted information. But we are leaning to the outdoors because it is Alaska.

Hatcher Pass. Independence Mine State Historical Park. These can be combined in one trip.

Anchorage Museum

Turnagin Pass

hiking in Chugach State Park

Alaska Aviation Museum if you are into airplanes and history of aviation in Alaska

The Alaska Native Medical Center. This may sound strange but the hospital has a fantastic collection of native art and a wonderful gift shop with great stuff.

DON

Edited by donaldsc