Carnival screwed up - happen to you?

tea4ular

So last week I made a reservation for the Magic for Oct 2015 (using my favorite travel agent). Because it is our first time flying into a port, and just to put my mind at ease, I opted to let Carnival book the airfare/transfers (I'd read there is terrible/expensive transportation to/from Houston to Galveston, we all know about flight delays/cancellations, etc.). After booking the cruise, my agent placed me on hold and she called Carnival. I was patched in, and Carnival announced they were recording the call (I found that interesting). Carnival quoted a price that seemed VERY reasonable for R/T air AND transfers for 2, and I accepted. Carnival rep told me I would have to pay in full right now. So I did. It was fine, we didn't have to place a deposit on the trip, so no biggie. Done.

Next morning I check my documentation and no airfare/transfers are noted on my paperwork, and in fact a MUCH larger $ amount was added to my reservation AND no sign of the $ I'd "paid" the day before. :eek: Immediately I went online and checked with my credit card, and lo and behold, there was the payment. Called my favorite travel agent, who placed me on hold, and called Carnival. Waited. Waited. Waited. She came back "Carnival misquoted the airfare/transfers and is trying to bill you for it" - Um, no. I "paid in full" as they required and it's already showing on my credit card. Oh, hey, they said they were "recording the call" -

Fast forward to today - Carnival has honored their screw up and all is good. All paperwork is corrected and payment posted properly. :)

Anything like this happen to you?

It's a good thing they honored the misquote. Many times in these situations, they just cancel the error and refund your credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A recorded call is what saved our bacon when my husband asked "What is the deadline for me transferring this to our travel agent?". He actually asked two people , who gave him the identical reply. When our agent tried to call and transfer the booking about 5 weeks later they told her that it was past the deadline. She called my husband, upset ( she is his mom) about this. He called and spoke with them and was put on hold for a long time.... long enough to find and listen to a recorded call (lol) and came back and apologized and fixed the problem. I never begrudge the recording :)

Edited by Athankfulheart

That is great they honored it for you. I wonder if Carnival honored anyone that booked that $2 per person cruise from California the other week during that 24 hr sale. Definitely looked like a glitch.

Although they didn't have to because of the cruise contract, they probably honored it or have not made any changes as of yet. We would have heard about it by now.

You, of course, notify the other party as required under many state laws?

Of course! I let them know by continuing this phone call, they consent to the call being recorded. I then let them know they have the opportunity to end the phone call. My state is one of the eleven that require a "two way consent."

However, there is no need to say anything if they mention the call may be recorded. By continuing on, you both have already consented to a recording. At that point, I just make it known that the call is being recorded and authorization had already been given.

Edited by Pixelate

I've mentioned this on the board before, but Carnival somehow allowed my family to book 4 people in a room that couldn't accomodate 4 people. We booked at the future cruise desk 1 year in advance and spoke with them on the phone many times over that year and no one ever caught the error that there were 4 paid guests assigned to a room that could only sleep 3. We got all the way into the stateroom with our luggage and it was our room steward who noticed the problem when he came to say hi. Guest services was very apologetic, but it was also a fully booked sailing, they were going to "figure it out".

Shortly after muster drill we heard from guest services that someone wasn't going to make the boat and we could use their stateroom for the time being until they found out if those people were going to be able to catch up to the cruise. So they ended up moving my sister and I into an oceanview a few floors down from my parents balcony and gave them a couple hundred in OBC for the trouble. The other passengers never caught the ship, so we were fine, but I really wonder what they would have done if those people did catch up at the first port.

I've mentioned this on the board before, but Carnival somehow allowed my family to book 4 people in a room that couldn't accomodate 4 people. We booked at the future cruise desk 1 year in advance and spoke with them on the phone many times over that year and no one ever caught the error that there were 4 paid guests assigned to a room that could only sleep 3. We got all the way into the stateroom with our luggage and it was our room steward who noticed the problem when he came to say hi. Guest services was very apologetic, but it was also a fully booked sailing, they were going to "figure it out".

Shortly after muster drill we heard from guest services that someone wasn't going to make the boat and we could use their stateroom for the time being until they found out if those people were going to be able to catch up to the cruise. So they ended up moving my sister and I into an oceanview a few floors down from my parents balcony and gave them a couple hundred in OBC for the trouble. The other passengers never caught the ship, so we were fine, but I really wonder what they would have done if those people did catch up at the first port.

From other posts on this board it seems that someone plans to catch up with the ship, they have to let the company know and arrangements must be made. Maybe if those passengers indicated they were planning to catch up the company would have told them no, it's not possible.