Letter to Goldstein about RCCL refusing to discuss TA bookings

lewinr

We use a large on-line agency, and have a particular TA there that we like to use (although we can use anyone who answers the phone if our agent is off that day, and get excellent help). My experience is that as soon as we book, the TA emails me an invoice with all the details: cabin, price, OBC, RCI booking #, Travel Agency contract #, etc.

If there is a price drop, the TA reminds me that a lower price cruise will reduce my OBC, then sends an updated invoice.

I simply print off the invoice before we set sail, and if any issues, I've got it documented right there.

Have not had a single issue to date, btw. But the agent's OBC is right there in writing from the very beginning.

This agent doesn't do the "bottle of wine" or "free specialty restaurant", but simply does OBC that we can spend however we like.

Easy.

Mary

Having been in the Travel Industry for more that 16 years, I can tell you that the TAs don't WANT the cruise lines to touch their reservations. While you may not be comfortable with the term, the fact is the travel agency does "own" the reservation and they would raise hell if the cruise lines started changing things. As a TA, you are responsible to know where your travelers are at all times. (Think back to 9/11 - we had to provide complete reports of where all of our travelers were and begin making plans to get them home.) If the cruise line had access to those reservations, the TA wouldn't necessarily know that you made a change. It also opens the door for people to play the cruise line against the TA - trying to get discounts and benefits from both.

When you book through a TA, they get a commission. When you book through the cruise line, they keep that commission. Asking one to do the work of the other is asking them to work for free. (Yes - I know the cruise line gets your money - but there is specific money built into each cruise fare for managing the reservation process. The person/entity getting that money is the one responsible for your benefits. Period.)

Having been in the Travel Industry for more that 16 years, I can tell you that the TAs don't WANT the cruise lines to touch their reservations. While you may not be comfortable with the term, the fact is the travel agency does "own" the reservation and they would raise hell if the cruise lines started changing things. As a TA, you are responsible to know where your travelers are at all times. (Think back to 9/11 - we had to provide complete reports of where all of our travelers were and begin making plans to get them home.) If the cruise line had access to those reservations, the TA wouldn't necessarily know that you made a change. It also opens the door for people to play the cruise line against the TA - trying to get discounts and benefits from both.

When you book through a TA, they get a commission. When you book through the cruise line, they keep that commission. Asking one to do the work of the other is asking them to work for free. (Yes - I know the cruise line gets your money - but there is specific money built into each cruise fare for managing the reservation process. The person/entity getting that money is the one responsible for your benefits. Period.)

The issue is not about having the cruise line "touch" the reservation. The issue is, why can't the cruise line allow the passenger to see what the cruise line sees, so the passenger can verify that what the cruise line sees matches up with what the passenger is expecting the cruise line to see.

Do you pay cash for your house or car? If not, check the title, you don't full own it. Yes, you get to use it (and you get to go on a cruise) but you are not the only one with interest in the reservation.

Your travel agent is like an insurance agent ...

An agent is one who acts for, or in the place of, another, by authority from him; one entrusted with the business of another.

You have given your travel agent permission to act on your behalf. Since the cruise line has no contact with you, it will deal only with the agent, as the agent is the one that actually booked the cruise for you.

People keep saying that they don't like loosing control over their booking. Fine, don't use an agent. However, the agent works on your behalf, not the cruise line's behalf. I call my agent and ask for something and later that day it is taken care of for me. I don't have to deal with the cruise line. I don't have to take time out of my day. The travel agent does all of this for me, just like an insurance agent does. If you don't like an insurance agent handling your insurance needs on your behalf, then buy your insurance online.

I know exactly who both my car and my house belong to... Me. It has been a long time since I have used a TA. And thanks for the advice on how to buy insurance.:rolleyes:

The issue is not about having the cruise line "touch" the reservation. The issue is, why can't the cruise line allow the passenger to see what the cruise line sees, so the passenger can verify that what the cruise line sees matches up with what the passenger is expecting the cruise line to see.

It's as simple as that so I don't understand why anyone would be opposed to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW ... the "Loyal to Royal Booking Crowd" is quite a nasty bunch.

I have booked all of our cruises through a TA .. the last 10 with the same online TA .. and fortunately have never had any issues. I do take all my documentation with me just incase I need to call or email my TA.

All the OP requested is the ability to view his reservation on the RCI website. He never blamed RCI or his TA for the error. Of course all the "Loyal to Royal Booking Crowd" immediately blame the TA. These are the same people that always complain on this website about the incompetent RCI customer service/reservationists staff and the problem ridden RCI computer systems.

HAL, Princess, and Carnival have all discussed my reservation with me to confirm things are in place, and only referred me to my TA for changes to my reservation. RCI and Celebrity seem to be the only ones that do not even want to talk to you if you booked through a TA.

The OP's letter was well written, non-threatening, and to the point. He did not blame anyone and made a great recommendation that would be to everyone's benefit (RCI, TA, and customer). Leave the poor man alone.

I will continue to use my TA and get group rates, OBC's, free gratuities, etc. ... save hundreds of dollars every cruise :-)