Cool Feature. Which Ship is This?

monicakm

OK, I've ridden the world's fastest, tallest roller coaster, the world's tallest vertical drop ride, the world's tallest sky coaster, and sky dived from nearly 3 miles up, so maybe my thrill bar is set higher than some others'.

But though there are many nice things about the Royal class - great Piazza, much improved HC, more stylish MDRs - the Big New Features are a glass sidewalk and a 5-minute dancing fountain show that, at least on the inaugural TA, hardly anyone went to see and that only looked its best from a limited vantage point at the bar. I always love looking down at the ocean from the promenade deck, which on the R/R is no more (though you can look out at where it used to be through the windows of the revenue-producing jewelry store). I like to stare down at the wake from the aft of the promenade level, which on the R/R is inaccessible, replaced by revenue-producing cabins. And what might have been much-needed pool space is taken up by fountain platform instead

As has been pointed out, hardly anyone cares about the Skywalk enough to use it, and both it and the fountain show are gimmicks that look all whiz-bang in the brochure but are 1-to-5-minute experiences that hardly compensate for the loss of a number of valuable public spaces. Skywalkers or the Skywalk: where would most of us prefer to hang out? Which, indeed, has the better view?

Still, not as bad as what they're doing to the Island.

You still can look down at the ocean from the Promenade deck midship and aft.

88438b74-3b99-41f7-b922-b19be4f830b8_zps0f7b2a3f.jpg

e7b6ca48-dde4-4f3c-90cb-988dca928fab_zps1wkomvvd.jpg

IMG_1479_zps05f1a9be.jpg

You still can look down at the ocean from the Promenade deck midship and aft.

Yes, indeed you can. You just can't walk more than a few feet in either direction without running into a locked gate. And I could rarely find an empty seat out there...glad you could.

The reason I brought up thrill rides and not, for example, my experience climbing Huaynu Picchu and looking down at the ruins of Machu Picchu is because the Sea Walk (and yes, I mistyped "Skywalk") doesn't provide a better view of the ocean or count as an accomplishment or add anything to a cruise but a supposed frisson from looking straight down through glass. Gimmick. Sizzle without steak. (Yes, the lights at night are cool, but then the sea is dark, so you're looking down past your feet at nothing more interesting than a bunch of balcony chairs and the tops of people's heads.)

I sincerely doubt that many more people were clamoring for a see-through sidewalk on their cruise than for a kinda sorta "TV studio." It's not that I disliked the Royal. In fact, I liked many aspects of it quite a lot, though it wouldn't be my first choice for a warm-weather cruise. It's just that the Sea Walk is, for a supposed "star feature," mighty weak beer. (And don't get me started on Zumba classes being held in Princess Live or trivia being jammed into Club 6.)

Edited by shepp

And if watching the ocean or viewing the wake from a wrap-around promenade deck, or having large and plentiful pools were that important to me, I wouldn't book this ship. Those features are not accessible on Royal Princess and Regal Princess, yet people who insist it is that important to them, still go on these ships.

:D

Dave, if only Princess would send these new ships to Asia or Australia so those of us who prefer the older ships have an apples to apples choice. I am begrudgingly booked on the royal for next year due to the simple fact that that was the only ship doing any interesting itinerary in the Caribbean. There are only so many times one can visit the same set of tired islands with no variety.

The royal was insanely priced for the non-smurf balconies (DA category's) so we are booked in one of the IA sideways insides due to the almost BOGO nature of that category versus the DA. For all those saying only those that have sailed on the ships can criticize this category, I look forward to being a card carrying member of the Royal class sailors.

Dave, if only Princess would send these new ships to Asia or Australia so those of us who prefer the older ships have an apples to apples choice. I am begrudgingly booked on the royal for next year due to the simple fact that that was the only ship doing any interesting itinerary in the Caribbean. There are only so many times one can visit the same set of tired islands with no variety.

The royal was insanely priced for the non-smurf balconies (DA category's) so we are booked in one of the IA sideways insides due to the almost BOGO nature of that category versus the DA. For all those saying only those that have sailed on the ships can criticize this category, I look forward to being a card carrying member of the Royal class sailors.

I truly hope you enjoy your cruise. :D

There are indeed lots of opinions on this forum regarding the new Royal-class ships, and you'll no doubt read a hundred more before you embark. But keep in mind that there are just as many who have sailed these new ships and are/have booked on them again and again and again, as those who have sailed them and either liked them well enough despite the "design faults" (but not enough to call them their favorite class of ships or sail on them again), or have sailed them and disliked/hated them. Just like I personally would never care to set foot on a Grand-class ever again, others would call them 'home'. My 'home' on the ocean will be the Royal-class ships, that is, the next time I can actually get back out there.

P.S. My 'home' before WV was NC, hence the 'NC' in my screen name. Lived in Salisbury for 17 years.

;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

Hi All

While very disappointed with the Royal, given the choice of being on the Royal or no cruise l would book the Royal, as the ship itself only plays a part in a great cruise, more important are the ports, crew, food, weather etc

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Hi All

While very disappointed with the Royal, given the choice of being on the Royal or no cruise l would book the Royal, as the ship itself only plays a part in a great cruise, more important are the ports, crew, food, weather etc

Yours Shogun

Hi Steve,

I'm a bit confused by that statement, as this is this last line in your review from aboard Royal Princess on the final morning on her maiden voyage, June 28, 2013...

"The Royal is a fine ship and overall is a plus to the fleet, she will not blow you away with amazing new features, but has taken a tried and tested product and modernised it and moved it forward, if you love Princess you will love the Royal".

Maybe you are going through a little 'revisionist history' now?

:confused:

For all those saying only those that have sailed on the ships can criticize this category, I look forward to being a card carrying member of the Royal class sailors.

Actually, we've apparently been told that only those who haven't sailed on them can criticize them.

Hi Dave,

I tried to give a fair and balanced review of the ship, eg if you love Princess you will like the Royal, l myself cancelled two cruises l had booked on her and rebooked on Grand class ships, l have no plans to do a cruise on Royal or Regal preferring Grand class, l might do Britannia, however if the ports were right as well as price l would still cruise on the Royal as l know what to expect.

Yours Shogun

Hi Dave,

I tried to give a fair and balanced review of the ship, eg if you love Princess you will like the Royal, l myself cancelled two cruises l had booked on her and rebooked on Grand class ships, l have no plans to do a cruise on Royal or Regal preferring Grand class, l might do Britannia, however if the ports were right as well as price l would still cruise on the Royal as l know what to expect.

Yours Shogun

You did give a fair and balanced review, here in five parts from your Live thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38929722&postcount=994

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38930346&postcount=997

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38932249&postcount=1005

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38933207&postcount=1009

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38938153&postcount=1050

I would have characterized your review, as I had mentioned above, and as you confirmed, as someone who liked it well enough despite the "design faults" but would not necessarily sail her again as you have other favorite ships.

:D

Yes, indeed you can. You just can't walk more than a few feet in either direction without running into a locked gate. And I could rarely find an empty seat out there...glad you could.

The reason I brought up thrill rides and not, for example, my experience climbing Huaynu Picchu and looking down at the ruins of Machu Picchu is because the Sea Walk (and yes, I mistyped "Skywalk") doesn't provide a better view of the ocean or count as an accomplishment or add anything to a cruise but a supposed frisson from looking straight down through glass. Gimmick. Sizzle without steak. (Yes, the lights at night are cool, but then the sea is dark, so you're looking down past your feet at nothing more interesting than a bunch of balcony chairs and the tops of people's heads.)

I sincerely doubt that many more people were clamoring for a see-through sidewalk on their cruise than for a kinda sorta "TV studio." It's not that I disliked the Royal. In fact, I liked many aspects of it quite a lot, though it wouldn't be my first choice for a warm-weather cruise. It's just that the Sea Walk is, for a supposed "star feature," mighty weak beer. (And don't get me started on Zumba classes being held in Princess Live or trivia being jammed into Club 6.)

I found the Seawalk somewhat disappointing. When I looked down I mostly saw, unless i was looking at an extreme angle towards the water, the tops of life boats and other parts of the ship.

Your comment about finding an available chair on the Promenade Porches is very true. In fact on last year's Inaugural T/A crossing, I saw more chair hogging on the proches than I did around the pools.....:):):)

Bob

Hi Dave

Thanks for posting my old review, was interesting reading it again,

Still need to find a new doggy sitter so l can hit the high seas again

Take care my friend may our ships will cross one day

Yours Shogun

On the Royal and Regal, it's the little things that make it special. Lots of little things add up making it more special. It may be a little walkway, but it's a nice touch. Watching the colorful dancing fountains on the Lido deck in the evening with a cocktail in my hand was really nice. It is what it is, and enjoy it for the simple, five minute pleasure it brings in your life.

I'm looking forward to that walkway when I board on March 29th.

Hi Dave

Thanks for posting my old review, was interesting reading it again,

Still need to find a new doggy sitter so l can hit the high seas again

Take care my friend may our ships will cross one day

Yours Shogun

Hi Steve,

As long as I continue to sail the Royal-class and you on a Grand-class, instead of our paths crossing, we'll have to be happy with reading each other's reviews.

;)

On the Royal and Regal, it's the little things that make it special. Lots of little things add up making it more special. It may be a little walkway, but it's a nice touch. Watching the colorful dancing fountains on the Lido deck in the evening with a cocktail in my hand was really nice. It is what it is, and enjoy it for the simple, five minute pleasure it brings in your life.

I'm looking forward to that walkway when I board on March 29th.

Every night it was playing I made it topside for the fountain show, and on the last night, the five of us who had been on the two-week B2B, happen to all be there saying our goodbyes and we caught the entire run of all the shows when they played them one right after the other.

And even when one of the jets kept blasting higher than the others, it was still very cool, and I quite enjoyed it.

Enjoy your cruise!!! :D

11580855713_2913c07598_c.jpg

11580657635_cf7877d596_c.jpg

11581465036_b52a24bb7f_c.jpg

Hi Dave

But we may well be in port at the same time, it would be a pity if we were ships that past in the night.

Both Royal and Regal visit Scotland, so you never know you might meet the four legged Shogun

Yours Shogun

I truly hope you enjoy your cruise. :D

There are indeed lots of opinions on this forum regarding the new Royal-class ships, and you'll no doubt read a hundred more before you embark. But keep in mind that there are just as many who have sailed these new ships and are/have booked on them again and again and again, as those who have sailed them and either liked them well enough despite the "design faults" (but not enough to call them their favorite class of ships or sail on them again), or have sailed them and disliked/hated them. Just like I personally would never care to set foot on a Grand-class ever again, others would call them 'home'. My 'home' on the ocean will be the Royal-class ships, that is, the next time I can actually get back out there.

P.S. My 'home' before WV was NC, hence the 'NC' in my screen name. Lived in Salisbury for 17 years.

;)

I'm sure we will enjoy the cruise, but are disappointed in the trend princess is taking their new builds.

We are not pool people, nor do we congregate on the top decks during the day or night. We rarely watch MUTS, although sports have been an exception.

That said, we enjoy relaxing on our balconies and have never traveled with less than 4 people in our party, and have been known to double that. On a Caribe deck balcony on the grand class we could fit everyone on a single balcony borrowing some chairs from the other balconies. On the new builds this is impossible. I would hazard a guess that the folks on this board who will sail on nothing but the Royal class have very small numbers in their cruise parties. I suppose a single couple traveling alone would fit on a smurf balcony with no complaints.

As you said, to each their own.