Original Queen Elizabeth and my Grandparents

cooncat

I was doing some research on my family on Ancestry.com. I found a little information on a trip they took back in the 1950's. This must have been their return trip from Europe. Anyway, like in the title, they were on the original Queen Elizabeth. They traveled first class and it showed they had 10 pieces of luggage. That must have been something. I went on the Queen Elizabeth - Long Beach website to see what kind of room they have had. Very interesting.

Yes those were the Golden days of Transatlantic Travel. With their ten pieces of luggage I guess that several were labelled 'Not wanted on voyage' and these would have been stowed below deck.

Not today, if one travels with several pieces of luggage I think we'd have a hell of a job stowing them under the bed :mad:

What on earth do people do on a World Cruise , I wonder if there is an area somewhere on the ship to stow their empty luggage ? :confused:

I had friends that travelled on Oceanic during the winter months and the women would pack large trunks just for their gowns. My Aunt honeymooned on the FRANCE on a trip through Europe for a month in 1972 & again the suitcases & trunks were unbelievable. On a cruise in the late 1960's on the Franconia out of NYC my parents were loaded down w/ luggage so they had it shipped to the pier.

I have been sailing since the 1970's and it wasn't until the late 1990's when everything changed. It's actually embarrassing to see what people wear onboard these days...several years ago I did a portion of the QE2's World Cruise .....the clothes and jewelry were spectacular & everyone had fun....you see men & women would change clothes several times a day & you never wore the same thing twice...and if you were travelling through Europe one always bought beautiful & unusual clothes there. One thing that helped back then was the resources for handling all that luggage etc....sailing day was quite exciting w/ all the boarding & all and a Bon Voyage party w/ bands and people just having the best time.

I hope your Grandparents gave you memories of their trips.

Hi Cooncat,

I have sailedin 1964 on the Queen Elizabeth you mention. The actual ship at Long Beach is the slightly older RMS Queen Mary. The final resting place of RMS Queen Elizabeth was sinking in Hong Kong harbour this was used as a location in the James Bond film The Man with the Golden Gun. The ship remained protruding out of the water for many years until eventually the hulk was incorporated into the new Hong Kong Freight Container Terminal. The Queen Elizabeth interiors were a bit different to the Queen Mary. Both these ships were used extensively during the WW2 conflict to transport soldiers. The Queen Elizabeth could accommodate 10,000 troops.

Kind Regards Keith

• 4 months later...
I was doing some research on my family on Ancestry.com. I found a little information on a trip they took back in the 1950's. This must have been their return trip from Europe. Anyway, like in the title, they were on the original Queen Elizabeth. They traveled first class and it showed they had 10 pieces of luggage. That must have been something. I went on the Queen Elizabeth - Long Beach website to see what kind of room they have had. Very interesting.

What an interesting piece of information to find, Cooncat !!!

My (doting, maiden) aunts took the Queen Mary to Europe in the early 1950s and brought back wonderful gifts for me ! Planted a seed which grew into my love of the QM2. Wish I could find information on their voyage, but I understand Cunard itself kept no records from that time. Maybe, your family information came for a newspaper article or family letter?

Anyway, a wonderful era and fun to picture all those suitcases!!!

I traveled in first class on the Queen Elizabeth with my parents in 1962 - we didn't have that much luggage, but I remember that after unpacking, our suitcases were taken away by the cabin steward. The cabin itself was probably about the size of a Q3 on the QV. I don't remember too much about it but do remember the beautiful wood paneled walls and that the bath tub had a shower with several nozzles that provided great entertainment for a 9 year old, and a flooded bathroom. Our cabin steward was rather a humorless fellow, and did not appreciate my antics.

I traveled in first class on the Queen Elizabeth with my parents in 1962 - we didn't have that much luggage, but I remember that after unpacking, our suitcases were taken away by the cabin steward. The cabin itself was probably about the size of a Q3 on the QV. I don't remember too much about it but do remember the beautiful wood paneled walls and that the bath tub had a shower with several nozzles that provided great entertainment for a 9 year old, and a flooded bathroom. Our cabin steward was rather a humorless fellow, and did not appreciate my antics.

We must have just missed each other! My parents, sister and I were on the QE in the summer of 1962, although in the equivalent of 3rd class. Tourist class, was it called? Cherbourg to New York. My sister and I had a great time exploring the ship - I was 11 and she was 9. We all slept in one inside cabin, which I remember had bunk beds on both sides (?) and I believe was also wood paneled. My parents also took the original Queen Mary to Europe on their honeymoon. It was a great pleasure for me to finally cross the Atlantic again on The QM2 5 years ago.

I really enjoyed reading this thread.

I'm a Genealogist and would love to find something like this in my trees!

Of course, I did have relatives on several of the earliest Colonial ships, like the Mayflower so that's pretty cool.

I was surprised to learn that the Lusitania was a Cunard ship!

Their cruises look really nice. I just hate dressing up that much though, and it sounds like of dressing up. It means more luggage and shoes than I care to arrive with. Maybe a 7 day journey TransAtlantic to London England and one formal dinner. I love a very comfortable room with a view but other than that, I don't need a premium priced cruise. Not YET anyway! :cool:

Wish I could find information on their voyage, but I understand Cunard itself kept no records from that time.

The Cunard archives are held at Liverpool University. Some of it was available online about 15-20 years ago but has since disappeared.

Regards, Colin.

The Cunard archives are held at Liverpool University. Some of it was available online about 15-20 years ago but has since disappeared.

Regards, Colin.

Hi Colin,

Nice to see your post and thanks for the information. Who knows! I might be in Liverpool, at some time. It would be fun to see what they have.

You are right about things disappearing from the internet. I notice that, too.

It looks like you have some time on the QE coming-up in the near future. Have a wonderful voyage!

Best wishes, Jimmybean