Star still in San Francisco

JerseyShore

I think we need to take a step back here. First of all, I sincerely doubt all workers are a part of this. Just like with any other large group of people, you have some who are more inclined to cause trouble, bend rules, be lazy, etc than others.

It's a confirmed fact that there is some form of a job action going on at the SF ports due to a lack of contract and stalled negotiations.

It's also very likely that due to that, some workers are more enthusiastic about the job action than others. This is why you get differing experiences it depends on who is assigned to the berth on a given day.

If you get a group of hotheads together, you get things like 'Oops' luggage in the water. These folks tend to think they are helping, when they are not, and usually if leadership finds out who it was, they get pulled back (assuming decent leadership)

The vast majority of workers just want to do their job and get paid a fair wage (and it is NOT our place to argue what is fair, we can identify what they are making, but fair is based on agreement between worker and employer (or should be but that's a much larger societal conversation).

What needs to be recognized is that due to the instability at the port and the chance of getting a more disruptive dock crew, there is the potential for delays and issues. If this potential is too high for your comfort level, then adjust your plans accordingly, as there is nothing the cruise line can do and very little dock management can do at the time.

Personally, my luggage is fairly water resistant except for one bag, and I've seen the golden gate from beneath before so I can live with it. Others may differ.

What is consistant is that these tactics have been going on for many many years and don't appear to be lettting up at all.

I keep reading this, but I have never had trouble with a porter in SF in my several cruisings from that port.

I keep reading this, but I have never had trouble with a porter in SF in my several cruisings from that port.

Nor have I. In fact, the $5 we always offer for the two semi-large bags has always been graciously accepted along with a smile and a "Have a Great Trip." And that has been 6+ cruises in the past 2-1/2 years

Reading this thread makes me believe that all of the problems are in San Francisco but isn't this an entire West coast problem?

Edited by iceleven

Nor have I. In fact, the $5 we always offer for the two semi-large bags has always been graciously accepted along with a smile and a "Have a Great Trip." And that has been 6+ cruises in the past 2-1/2 years

Reading this thread makes me believe that all of the problems are in San Francisco but isn't this an entire West coast problem?

This is an entire USA port problem. Luggage is being dropped into the water or left in the weather with alarming regularity since the port disputes started.

A container of luggage was retrieved on the NCL Star at Miami, a current thread on Carnival yesterday had a similar occurence, and I am certain other cruise lines are being targeted for some unknown reason other than the dockworkers are causing disruptions.

My bag was torn open and items were missing and/or damaged on the Crown Princess in January. Princess repaired the bag but the missing items were not turned in.

I have decided to handle my own bags whenever possible in the future to avoid this nonsense and in a small way, to eliminate giving money to people who show this level of disrespect to cruise guests.

We have a short 7-day cruise next month out of SF. Unless this problem is resolved, I think we are going to pack uber light this time and just roll our own bags on and do self debarkation, as well. Another good reason to give up formal nights. Who wants expensive clothing to be ruined by being tossed into the water?

If your information is correct, why do the people have to go to the union hall to be assigned ?

The Nightly Business Report on PBS Monday did a piece about the problems on the West Coast docks.

They did show a union hall. Basically, the companies tell the union they need x workers and the job categories. These needs can change day-to-day.

At the union hall, qualified workers are assigned to meet the companies' requests. First preference is given to the workers who have had the least hours worked that week.

I just saw on the local news how wineries that use corks are now having to have their corks shipped via trucks from the East coast to Napa Valley. So all kinds of businesses are being affected by this port loading slow down. I see that the letter I got from the SF port authority had no meaning when they said they are working to try to resolve the problem. They need to do something serious to the port workers in order to get this problem resolved. Like take away their pay or fire them.

We have a short 7-day cruise next month out of SF. Unless this problem is resolved, I think we are going to pack uber light this time and just roll our own bags on and do self debarkation, as well. Another good reason to give up formal nights. Who wants expensive clothing to be ruined by being tossed into the water?

I am with you on bringing carry-on luggage for my 7-day cruise next month out of San Francisco, but my formal clothing takes up less room than my casual clothing. A cocktail dress and heels is so much easier to pack than jeans, a shirt and tennis shoes. I'll probably be even dressier than usual, if that's even possible.;)

The Nightly Business Report on PBS Monday did a piece about the problems on the West Coast docks.

They did show a union hall. Basically, the companies tell the union they need x workers and the job categories. These needs can change day-to-day.

At the union hall, qualified workers are assigned to meet the companies' requests. First preference is given to the workers who have had the least hours worked that week.

That is a "whitewashed" version of how these slowdowns work. The unions can manipulate the numbers of workers available, and the port managers can reduce the number they request.

The workers who do accept the jobs can work "within the rules" and reduce their productivity.

There is no simple answer to these problems.

We had similar problems with teamsters when I was working, and the bottom line was that they were eliminated from the facility by the company putting the work up for bid. Their demands made them too expensive and another contractor underbid them. That left them with a choice to apply for jobs with the new contractor or go find another job.

I doubt that the ports have that flexibility with the ILWU, but who knows?

All this talk about luggage problems is making me think that I should try to go with 2 carry-on size bags instead of my larger bag. I'll probably have a backpack too, but that's it. Is it safe to assume that there is no limit on the number of bags I can carry on, as long as I can manage the bags on my own? It's not like I'm getting on an airplane so I assume Princess doesn't really care; the bags will all end up on the ship sooner or later anyway. My main concern is what if the cabins aren't ready when I board and I have no place to put my luggage while I go eat lunch. That has happened on several cruises, and with just one carry-on it's manageable to find space to put it, but it'll be harder with more. I liked the one cruise I went on (can't remember if it was HAL or Celebrity) where they actually set aside a closed dining room and let us check our bags and leave them there while we went to lunch; that was a nice convenience.

All this talk about luggage problems is making me think that I should try to go with 2 carry-on size bags instead of my larger bag. I'll probably have a backpack too, but that's it. Is it safe to assume that there is no limit on the number of bags I can carry on, as long as I can manage the bags on my own? It's not like I'm getting on an airplane so I assume Princess doesn't really care; the bags will all end up on the ship sooner or later anyway. My main concern is what if the cabins aren't ready when I board and I have no place to put my luggage while I go eat lunch. That has happened on several cruises, and with just one carry-on it's manageable to find space to put it, but it'll be harder with more. I liked the one cruise I went on (can't remember if it was HAL or Celebrity) where they actually set aside a closed dining room and let us check our bags and leave them there while we went to lunch; that was a nice convenience.

You won't have that issue on Princess..........

Whether the cabin is ready or not we have always been able to place our bags in there. ;)

Princess doesn't seem to allow boarding until the cabins are ready.

So far our only problem with luggage is that once it didn't some until after dinner. It's usually there by muster.

On the other hand, you can carry on anything that will pass through the scanner and can get unpacked sooner.

• 3 weeks later...
Some of the bars are generally opened when you enter the ship. I have not seen crooners open. The difference is while still in port you pay sales taxes on your drinks.

Just wondering....how does the tax get added when you have a classic or premium drink package ?? Hummm? :confused:

First of all, it was ONE container(rack) of baggage that was dropped in the water, not ALL of the baggage. I am not defending it, just getting the facts straight. This type of thing happens world wide on cruise ships. The fact it was handled so badly in SF is just another nail in the coffin of the ILWU sad story.

Even though the contract has been settled, do not expect the porters to change how they act, or how they try to extort outrageous tips from passengers, use disgusting language, refuse to take bags without a tip, or any of the other disgusting things they have been doing for years. They are basically thugs and the Port authorities are afraid to do anything to curb the egregious actions of the porters. Just be cautious.

Remember, if you have a problem with a porter, try not to get into a confrontation, but get their number (it is on the front of their vest) and report it to the check-in staff and they will, in turn, get the information to the union boss and the offending porter will be sent home with no pay for the day.

Even though the contract has been settled, do not expect the porters to change how they act, or how they try to extort outrageous tips from passengers, use disgusting language, refuse to take bags without a tip, or any of the other disgusting things they have been doing for years. They are basically thugs and the Port authorities are afraid to do anything to curb the egregious actions of the porters. Just be cautious.

I'm beginning to feel left out. ;) Not once have I had a porter in San Francisco use disgusting language, refuse to take my bag without a tip, or behave like a thug toward me. No egregious actions whatsoever. My luggage even showed up dry. In fact, the last time I sailed out of there, the porter smiled at me and told me to have a nice trip, and then I gave him $2.00. I miss all the excitement. :p

Was on the same cruise as Buck - also had no issues whatsoever. Cab dropped us off and almost immediately a porter (with an already full cart) made his way over to us and told us he'd make it work. After a few seconds of playing Tetris with our luggage to fit it onto his cart he directed us to the check in line and wished us a happy cruise, after which we offered him a tip - not solicited or bullied out of us in any way.

I've said this before, its really important not to confuse the union as a whole with some of the idiots who are in it (this holds true for almost every profession).

Yes, there are extortionist porters (typically ones who have been demoted from container duty) and ones who think they are helping the cause by doing stupid stuff. That said, in most cases the bosses DO NOT want this kind of behavior (there are exceptions, like the current Carpenters issue with the convention center in philly where the boss is one of those idiots). As noted, if you report one of these folks to the supervisor, they will likely be booted.

I have had professional, if not always happy, port workers far more often than not.

Sincere union management knows these things hurt their position, not help it.

I have seen wet luggage being sorted and the cruise line bears the brunt of luggage being in the water by free washing and recovering the damaged items.

In my case, my bag was torn open and items were missing and not turned in.

I have a long range plan to diminish my losses as much as possible. I will handle my own bags whenever possible and if I continue to cruise I will save enough by not tipping these thugs to overcome the loss. The person who takes your bag and smiles at you probably is not the same one who does the damage, but they are all "brothers"

YES --- I am not happy with their actions during the dispute that some of you try to whitewash, but I will handle it my way and gain some satisfaction.

Advice I once received ---- "When faced with adversity, turn it into a profit !!!!!"

Edited by swedish weave

These guys should be looking at the future. The new large container terminal and cruise terminal in Mexico could attract a lot of business down there instead of coming to Los Angeles and Long Beach. Stay tuned !!

San Fran is a little less vulnerable, but could be eliminated as an origin port.

how can we get more info on this? thanks

how can we get more info on this? thanks

Check what Mike Haverty and the KCS are doing down there. Also look at the Puerto Penasco cruise terminal (AKA Rocky Point). You may also be interested in checking the new huge container terminal being built in Baja.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_Colonet

Edited by swedish weave

Here is another link to the information you want.

http://www.joc.com/port-news/us-ports/kcs-pushes-lazaro-cardenas-alternative-congested-la-long-beach_20141024.html

BTW --- I have been told by some posters on this board that I don't know what I am talking about, so if they are right, I apologize for myself and all the publications that are conveying this information.

Edited by swedish weave